Overclocking with DDR2 1066

zenius

n00b
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
57
I ordered a DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS mobo and Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 the other day. I've been reading up and haven't found anything definative about overclocking with this ram. I've read that running the fsb and dram in syncronous mode is preferred because there is less heat relative to overclocking gains. So I was wondering, if I wanted to utilize the full speed of this ram in syncronous mode at at least as much speed as possible, would it be better to get an e8400 and try to hit the 4ghz's or a q6600 past 3.6ghz.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with a q6600 at 400x9 in syncronous mode would mean the ram would be running at 800mhz, which means I've wasted money on getting the 1066.
To get to 4.5ghz on an e8400 would mean it's at 500x9 and in syncronous would mean the ram is running at 1000mhz.

In the case of the q6600, it's not typically expected I'd pass 3.6ghz so is running ram in asyncronous mode really not that useful if i want to get them to run as close to 1066 as possible?
 
If nothing else, you should be able to tighten up the timings if you end up technically underclocking the RAM.

Why not drop the CPU multipler and up the bus speed?

See sig - 460x8

My board won't go past 480 fsb reliably though with a Quad.. I really want 520 so I can run my RAM at what it is capable of as well as running the CPU at its sweet spot - yep PC-6400 (DDR800) that is capable of over DDR1000 :)
 
dang so i did waste money... oh well, good thing i got a good rebate on em
 
I'd agree with the previous poster - drop the multiplier and up the FSB - if you can do 450x8 you'd be getting better RAM performance at the same 3.6 speed (assuming your system can do 450/3.6)
 
@op - you gotta let me know how it works out for you. I too ordered that MB and RAM (2x2 gig)! Just waiting on the X3360 :)
 
Is it safe to overclock my 1066 ram to say...1100 or 1200? I'm also still trying to figure out what to set my ram and FSB at with this board. I've tried the auto settings, 2.5 divider, 1:1, 4:5, 2:3...still not sure what is best and most stable. I've also unsuccessfully tried to lower the multi from 9 to 8x 400+...so I could bump my FSB up and keep the ram lower...but i'm not sure still...graysky...Miguel? Anyone :) I've posted a pic of Cpu-z in another topic..if anyone could help me get this thing set decently i'd appreciate it. I've got alot of software to load and use...just want this rig running stable, fast and fairly cool first.
 
There isn't a whole lot of improvement to be had by running your ram at a higher divider than 1:1 - your best bet would be to run it 1:1 and try to tighten up the timings, rather than running a divider.
 
I would run the RAM at 1:1 with my e3110 (e8400) @ 400x9, and try to tighten up the timings; I think you'd have a more tangible improvement lowering the latencies anyway.

Also there is no standard for producing PC8500 DDR2 memory. It is, in essence, overclocked PC6400, which is the fastest RAM that has a current JEDEC standard. I think you'd be better off finding the highest quality 6400 (DDR-800) you can find (lowest CAS latency, lowest voltage) and read reviews to see what experience others have had overclocking it. Also try playing with the instruction timing from 2T to 1T.
 
Alright, I'll see what happens, the ram and mobo came in today and the q6600 will arrive within the next few days. wish me luck. I'll post results when i can.
 
yes with the E8400 1066 makes more sense than with the q6600 given the multiplier. I have one of both and use 1066 with the former.
 
Alright. I ended up getting the q6600 and I've overclocked it to 3.6GHz stable. The ram is at 1003 5-5-5-10 with a 5:4 divider i believe. So far what I think I can do is either change the divider so that the ram is at 1200 or leave it where it is and lower the timings. I've tried doing the jump to 1200 but so far I haven't gotten past post and I'm wary of increasing the voltages any higher than they are. Anyone have any suggestions?
 
Back
Top