• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking with Abit IC7-Max3--too hot?

chew63

Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2004
Messages
937
I just upgraded my RAM to some GEIL PC4000, because my hyperX 3200 wouldn't hit 240.
It seems to be stable at 3.6 (from 3.0) at 240. I get temps of 45c idle and 58c load? This isn't too hot to keep the cpu at permanently is it?

I seem to remember seeing somewhere that abit temp readings report about 10c higher than actual temps. Anybody know if this is true...
 
abit did have a problem with temp readings reporting 10-15degreese higher than actual temps but i think the issue has been fixed in the ic7 line. That being said your temps are fine. What processor you have? presscott?
 
that seems a *little* warm (perfectly fine still though i might worry when summer time comes along) but what voltage and heatsink fan you using?

edit n/m i read u have 7000 =P u using the fanmate?
 
you have some good computer specs but it seems weird to me that you have "just" a zalman7000. you might want to consider a thermalright xp-120 or a zalman7700 as i dont think the zalman7000 is really up the task of cooling your processor (especially when its overclocked).
 
I think it's ok.
My system is cooled with a Thermalright SP-94 and 90mm fan. I have folding running 24/7 and my temps range from 55-58c.
Anything near 65c is the danger zone.
 
<rant>the whole zalman line of cpu coolers suck for overclocking... sucks on athlons(every person i know personally who tried the zalman on a athlon had a 130F athlon at stock volts).. sucks on p4s(friend couldnt even get a 2.4c to get 3 ghtz on it... when stock cooler got me that, at more volts).. sucks on a64s(at least on a fx-53)... they dont handle overvolting any cpu well at all..
no they wernt slowed down.... max speed, consitering the 7700 gives only a small gain over the 7000, i personally am staying away from zalman unless i want a cpu to run at stock speed quietly
</rant>
 
heero884 said:
edit n/m i read u have 7000 =P u using the fanmate?

no, I took it off...

anybody have any experience with both the zalman and thermalright heatsinks? I just don't know if it'd be worth it to upgrade the heatsink.
 
your talking to one... me and my friend played with the cnps7000... athlon... p4....a64.. wasnt one bit impressed... we both agree that nothing beats the xp-120 for air cooling tho...
the reason my clock speed isnt high is cuz i needed to feed it 1.775v just to get it to be stable at 3.125 ghz and more voltage doesnt help anymore :( full load temp is 120F tho :D... with the panaflo at 7v
ill report back when i get my 2.6c in the mail that can do 3.8 ghtz with water cooling(im thinking xp-120 is close enough to water cooling... even if not the dude said you could air it and get 3.6)
 
heero884 said:
edit n/m i read u have 7000 =P u using the fanmate?

Can I get increased fan speed with the fanmate attached? I just assumed that it would run at full speed without having it attached...
 
$60 is a lot to pay for a small performance increase though...As long as my temps are ok, I might just stick with the zalman.

The xp120 still looks awesome though
 
chew63 said:
Can I get increased fan speed with the fanmate attached? I just assumed that it would run at full speed without having it attached...
the fanmate eats voltage even turned up all the way.. the point was to plug it straight in to get full speed
 
I never got my MAX3 to report the correct temp's..so now i let the chill controll report my temp's :D
test1.jpg
 
BitchBreaker said:
I never got my MAX3 to report the correct temp's..so now i let the chill controll report my temp's :D

what is the average difference for you between the chill control and mobo readings?
 
Okay, unless you remove the OTES cooling on your mobo, you will NOT be able to use an XP-120. I don't think the XP-90 will work either. I'm using the SLK-948U which was recommended to me by Abit Support on the Abit forums. Whatever you look at, make sure you check the site to verify it will work on your mobo. If you removed the OTES cooling (or plan to), you can disregard... ;)
 
chew63 said:
what is the average difference for you between the chill control and mobo readings?

@ -50 chill controll unloaded bios says +260*c (abit board's get weird at sub 0 temp's) at -30*c loaded mobo monitor say's +26*c
 
oh please, 58C for load temps is pefectly fine....

these chips are tougher than you might think so that means that they can take a beating and some if they have to.

heck, just think about these pre-built systems like the Dells and the Gateways. those systems have very little hardware when it comes to the cooling dept but yet you dont see anyone getting excited over their temps and those machines last forever, litterally.

people worry too much about stuff that need not to me such a concern... 58C isnt nothing to get excited about. 68C? maybe but certainly not 58C.
 
ozziegn said:
oh please, 58C for load temps is pefectly fine....

these chips are tougher than you might think so that means that they can take a beating and some if they have to.

heck, just think about these pre-built systems like the Dells and the Gateways. those systems have very little hardware when it comes to the cooling dept but yet you dont see anyone getting excited over their temps and those machines last forever, litterally.

people worry too much about stuff that need not to me such a concern... 58C isnt nothing to get excited about. 68C? maybe but certainly not 58C.


Your right 58*c isent bad..under a stress test my tear ran a 3.0e yp to 70*c and held for 4 hour's with throttling OFF after that we did a hard restart with throttle off and let it run doom3 demo in loop..never hurt it,max oc was the same, cpu started the same ect..but point is the ABIT temp probe is WAY wrong on these board's
 
ozziegn said:
oh please, 58C for load temps is pefectly fine....

these chips are tougher than you might think so that means that they can take a beating and some if they have to.

heck, just think about these pre-built systems like the Dells and the Gateways. those systems have very little hardware when it comes to the cooling dept but yet you dont see anyone getting excited over their temps and those machines last forever, litterally.

people worry too much about stuff that need not to me such a concern... 58C isnt nothing to get excited about. 68C? maybe but certainly not 58C.

people that buy pre-built Dell's and Gateways usually aren't the type that do a lot of OCing.

But point taken--I'm just trying to figure out how high I should be able to get this northy--safely.
 
ozziegn said:
people worry too much about stuff that need not to me such a concern... 58C isnt nothing to get excited about. 68C? maybe but certainly not 58C.

58c is fine but i thought that maybe chew would want to raise the fsb to his ram's limit (250) and go for 3.8ghz in which case his zalman 7000 may not be enough to cool his processor (especially on a hot summer day).
 
heero884 said:
58c is fine but i thought that maybe chew would want to raise the fsb to his ram's limit (250) and go for 3.8ghz in which case his zalman 7000 may not be enough to cool his processor (especially on a hot summer day).

the good thing about those hot summer days is that my case will rest over an air conditioning vent...and the pc-v1000 has all those little holes in it :D
 
chew63 said:
the good thing about those hot summer days is that my case will rest over an air conditioning vent...and the pc-v1000 has all those little holes in it :D
lol the benefits of having a swiss cheese case :p
 
chew63 said:
the good thing about those hot summer days is that my case will rest over an air conditioning vent...and the pc-v1000 has all those little holes in it :D

LOL thats awesome :cool:
 
Cheese is good for you and your computer.

Ryuji, how does the Zalman NB47J do cooling the NB? I need to scrap the stock junk.
 
chew63 said:
Cheese is good for you and your computer.

Ryuji, how does the Zalman NB47J do cooling the NB? I need to scrap the stock junk.
it does a fine job... even with intel stock cooling.. right now my coolings covered..literaly
needed to put a custom hook ill post pics in a few minutes
 
chew63 said:
the good thing about those hot summer days is that my case will rest over an air conditioning vent...and the pc-v1000 has all those little holes in it :D

That's a sick case, I had to settle for this P.O.S.:
uglymotha.jpg


honestly, can it get uglier? And the worst part, it can't fit the new phase change system I'm getting soon. GRRRRRR
 
ScHpAnKy said:
That's a sick case, I had to settle for this P.O.S.:

honestly, can it get uglier? And the worst part, it can't fit the new phase change system I'm getting soon. GRRRRRR

honestly I wish I'd gotten the v1200 or v2000 so I could fit a good water cooling system in it w/o doing major mods. I suck with a dremel.
 
chew63 said:
the good thing about those hot summer days is that my case will rest over an air conditioning vent...and the pc-v1000 has all those little holes in it :D

speaking of the V1000....

I ordered the V1000-B and it should be hear on Thursday. I cant wait because its been one year that I've been out of the Lian Li scene so I'm ready and willing....

by the way, can you post a pic of your case setup? I'd like to see what it looks like.
 
Back
Top