• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking vs Turbo Boosting

maverick786us

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
2,416
What is the difference between OverClocking and Turbo Boost? In both the cases we Overclock the processor beyond its stock limit
 
TurboBoost is automatic builtin overclocking by raising the multiplier by a small number when a certian # cores are idle and the processor temp is below some threshold. I find it totally ineffective on an i7 920.
 
Last edited:
I am pretty much impressed with the perfomance of Core i7 875. How good this processor might be for gaming. Its turbo boost mode is 3.6 and if this processor can be overoclocked around 4.4 on Air, it can turn out to be a very good Quad Core processor for gaming. Although its price is not amazing relative to Core i7 930 and the X58 platform. Does it have any heat issue? What is your openion about this processor?

Since I am planning to upgrade my 2nd rig (not mentioned in sig) on October / November, by that time the price of this processor should further drop.

So should I go for this processor or wait for Core i7-2600 which is scheduled to be released somewhere near christmas?
 
with the lga1156 socket, I'd suggest sticking to the i7 750/760 for gaming, or just going straight to the lga1366 socket i7 930 build for slightly more than the i7 875k.

you're planning your build too early though, by then a decent amount could change in prices (new revisions are also possible, but not likely at this point). whether you wait even longer on a new chip is up to you, if the new chips will be any better or not is anyone's guess currently.

turbo boost will also work with a light overclock if I remember right. myself, I just wrench the sucker 'till it screams, back it off a little and leave it there, lol.
 
I think that they Turbo function varies significantly from one motherboard manufacturer to another. With EVGA, we generally all run Tubo enabled for one extra multiplier. Does not hurt anything at all. YMMV
 
Heres a good overview of what can be achieved with overclocking with turbo mode. Personally I would rather a small OC with turbo mode than having all 4 cores fixed at a high OC.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficiency,2500-3.html

Just picked up an i5-760 myself and will be testing it for a while. The power, performance, efficiency benefits of OC'ing in turbo mode rather than a full blown OC are interesting to note here.
 
Back
Top