Overclocking the Mobile Athlon 64

MetsFan978

Limp Gawd
Either I got lucky or these things really oc well. I got a 3400+ to 2.8 ghz (11x255) and I'm not done tweaking. Don't know the load temps cuz I left my dfi cd in my dorm so I can't install the temp monitor, but the bios temp is only 37 degrees C on my watercooling setup. All I was hoping for was 2.6 ghz, but damn this thing is fast!

yes, mobile A64 do overclock and cool well (lack of IHS)...luck may have had a small part

I think some1 in another forum had a week 49 3400+ mobile that was doing 2.8 ghz on air, so they definitely seem to be OCing nice, and on top of that they got 1 mb L2 cache...nice

Bought mine from www.excaliberpc.com It cost more than newegg, but I only saw the AP cpu on newegg. I didn't see the AR one, and you definately want the AR, since that is the CG revision of the cpu. The only thing to remember is these don't have the heatspreader. This isn't a problem if you watercool, but only some heatsinks will work, since the cpu is a little shorter.

MetsFan978 said:
The only thing to remember is these don't have the heatspreader. This isn't a problem if you watercool, but only some heatsinks will work, since the cpu is a little shorter.

What the what? Who told you that?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1321894

(d) The mobile CPUs lack the Integrated Heatspreader (IHS) common to the desktop processors. This allows better cooling of the CPUs as heatsink contact is directly with the CPU core itself. But as a result of this, the CPUs are "shorter" than their desktop counterparts and heatsink contact is a very real concern. Most backplates, whether included with the motherboard or the ones AMD includes with their retail chips will not work properly - the screw poles aren't deep enough. Only one heatsink setup works properly without modification with the mobile CPUs, the Thermalright SLK-948U Heatsink.

The stock heatsink definately doesn't work, there is a very small gap between the cpu and heatsink. I only have to leave the backplate on for the TDX block I use. I then tighten the block down as much as I want, so a slightly shorter cpu doesn't matter. But if you use the stock mounting hardware, most heatsinks won't touch the die.

MetsFan978 said:
Bought mine from www.excaliberpc.com It cost more than newegg, but I only saw the AP cpu on newegg. I didn't see the AR one, and you definately want the AR, since that is the CG revision of the cpu. The only thing to remember is these don't have the heatspreader. This isn't a problem if you watercool, but only some heatsinks will work, since the cpu is a little shorter.
what does AR and AP stand for? and how do i tell which newegg one is which?

Back