Overclocking the i7-8700K while using the onboard graphics

dewbak75

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to do a new build for my "utility" PC, which won't need any significant graphics horsepower as it's not a machine I ever sit in front of, I just access it through VNC. And I got curious about the i7-8700K. The onboard graphics are fine for what the machine's use will be, but from what I've read the chip runs pretty hot when overclocked. It would be cooled by a Corsair H105(I have a spare in an unopened box), how much of an impact would using the onboard graphics have on the overclocking potential? I'm not looking to break any records, just curious how much cpu power I'd be losing by not putting a cheap GPU card in.

why would you think, you will loose any CPU power by using the iGPU? you will loose no performance by running the iGPU and in my experience it may just run about 3C - 5C hotter when both are intensively used that would hardly affect any overclock more than what the chip itself will limit by the crappy TIM intel uses. you will be fine.

That's what I was wondering. I know that chip has a tendency to run hot, but I have no idea how much heat the igpu generates, and it if it would create enough extra heat to affect the overclocking threshold.

Well, you could always get an old GT 610 or something.

Is it possible to run the machine with no dedicated graphics, and the iGPU turned off if you're only accessing it remotely? I'm not sure if any BIOS supports that? Getting a used dirt cheap GPU like Wyodiver says though would be an option too. I'd be curious to see if using a gpu would lower the thermals at all. I mean it might a tieeny bit, but... well I have no idea, but I'm interested!

Is it possible to run the machine with no dedicated graphics, and the iGPU turned off if you're only accessing it remotely?

nope, iGPU it's always ON when no dGPU it's detected, only way to make that possible would be with a motherboard with no support to iGPU or CPU without iGPU..

I'd be curious to see if using a gpu would lower the thermals at all. I mean it might a tieeny bit, but... well I have no idea, but I'm interested!

it will hardly make a difference in the machine in the OP scenario as both dGPU or iGPU will be idle most of the time with no kind of stress. I would just run the iGPU because it's still way faster than the solution provided (GT 610) and still draw less power so overall less heat and less noise when stressed those cheap dGPU have always a tiny awfully loud fan.

Back