Overclocking the 9900K..

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Have a couple 8086Ks right now and am swapping 1 or both to 9900Ks.

The 8086Ks are dead easy 5.0Core/5.0AVX overclockers without delids.

What do you all think we’ll see the soldered 9900Ks do?

Do you think 5.0Core/5.0AVX is a slam dunk? Or do you think matching AVX @5.0 could be a challenge with those extra cores?

Upgrading from an overclocked 8086K to a 9900K seems like a complete waste of money to me. What kind workload are you running OP to justify that?

Doing anything from gaming to rendering to encoding to massive multitasking. More cores the better and need to stay all cores 5.0.

The point of the thread is... what do you think? Did you read the title? How will the 9900K overclock?

All cores 5.0/5.0 with low volts? Or all cores 5.0/4.8 lots of volts? Guess we’ll find out soon...

Splave told Tom's Hardware the Core i9-9900K can hit 5.3 GHz on all cores with watercooling and a 1.4V Vcore.

if you don't need the old 8086Ks you can send them to me, thanks.

As you know you can overclock core from AVX separately. A lot of guys reach high core overclocks by underclocking AVX. You’ll see 5.0core and 4.6avx or even 5.2core and 4.8avx. AVX is extremely intense and requires a lot of volts and thus generates a lot of heat when overclocked. It’s kind of cheating to underclock AVX imo (unless nothing you use uses AVX), which is why I try to match them. Personal preference.

As you know you can overclock core from AVX separately. A lot of guys reach high core overclocks by underclocking AVX. You’ll see 5.0core and 4.6avx or even 5.2core and 4.8avx. AVX is extremely intense and requires a lot of volts and thus generates a lot of heat when overclocked. It’s kind of cheating to underclock AVX imo (unless nothing you use uses AVX), which is why I try to match them. Personal preference.

That doesn't even make sense, the "kind of cheating".

It's not a contest for most people. They buy something and then clock it for the best performance they can get.

This whole thing feels like a stealth brag thread.

It's not a contest for most people. They buy something and then clock it for the best performance they can get.

LOL
Whatever man. Your post makes no sense. I’m competing against myself, as always. Why would I brag about something any Joe can go buy for themselves?
Clueless much?

I agree.

If someone's setup is thermal limited to 4.6GHz running AVX and 5.0GHz running "normal" instructions, why would they not run it that way? They should run all instructions at 4.6GHz or they are cheating???? Cheating at what?

What do you all think we’ll see the soldered 9900Ks do?
Believe the MSI Z390 Godlike and MEG ACE have factory XMP dials that when set to 11 OC the i9 9900k to 5.4 AC base and 5.7 SC boost clock. Seeing as it's OOTB 5.0 boost, seems possible, especially with STIM.

upload_2018-10-14_13-39-15.png

Thanks.

Believe the MSI Z390 Godlike and MEG ACE have factory XMP dials that when set to 11 OC the i9 9900k to 5.4 AC base and 5.7 SC boost clock. Seeing as it's OOTB 5.0 boost, seems possible, especially with STIM.

View attachment 111903

Thanks.

My crown vic's digital speedo will read all the way up to 999mph, doesn't mean it'll ever go that fast, even coming in from LEO...

Anything 5.4ghz and above would be a real pleasant surprise. A good 8700k could already touch that 1.45-1.5 vcore

I think a good question would be: what are the worst overclcoks we will see? If the worst all core OCs still reach 5ghz, that is good news.

My crown vic's digital speedo will read all the way up to 999mph, doesn't mean it'll ever go that fast, even coming in from LEO...

Gigabyte already showed that 5.0ghz is already a pretty good o/c for the 9900k.

What do people expect here? 5.4 ghz on 8 cores of CFL? Yeah, ok. Even if the chip could do this, it would require more cooling than most have.

5GHz is so 2011.
If it doesn't hit 6GHz it's shit.

Anything 5.4ghz and above would be a real pleasant surprise. A good 8700k could already touch that 1.45-1.5 vcore

I think a good question would be: what are the worst overclcoks we will see? If the worst all core OCs still reach 5ghz, that is good news.

Well about 85% of 8700ks hit 5.0 ghz, meaning 15% max out at 4.9ghz or less. I can't imagine the 9900k would be better with 2 extra cores.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/intel-i7-8086k-i7-8700k-overclocking-performance?amp

I have yet to see 5.4 ghz on any CFL. Only a handful of 8086ks reach 5.3ghz and those are already top of the line.

Well about 85% of 8700ks hit 5.0 ghz, meaning 15% max out at 4.9ghz or less. I can't imagine the 9900k would be better with 2 extra cores.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/intel-i7-8086k-i7-8700k-overclocking-performance?amp

I have yet to see 5.4 ghz on any CFL. Only a handful of 8086ks reach 5.3ghz and those are already top of the line.
Most people wouldn't pump 1.5 vcore into their chips either.

My point being high clocks won't impress me. What will impress me would be the worst CPUs being able to hit 5ghz at reasonable voltage. (Since some 8700k chips couldn't do that like you mentioned)

If we still see 9900k chips that can't do 5ghz at 1.4vcore than I honestly don't see any significant improvement aside from the core bump.

Golden 4790k chips could do 5ghz, skylake saw a small regression, kaby lake made headway, and now if Coffee Lake R can make 5ghz a minimum expected OC, that is exciting news (cooling permitting).

Last edited:

View attachment 111903

Thanks.

Epic level bullshit right here. Most reviewers are not able to push past 5.1 ghz with reasonable cooling.

Why not expect the worst and hope for the best instead of the opposite?

Back