• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking the 5870.

][F][U][2][

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
185
This may have been posted here before, but I just found out the best way to overclock your 5870 with out flashing your bios.

For those who want to over clock your 5870 beyond what most clocks will allow in the control panel. Here is a tricked that I learned over the weekend.

Use the amd over clocking utility with the msi after burner utility.Set the clocks with the amd program first and while both are open at the same time at this point.Click on the after burner utility from msi as it will set the fan speed with out changing the clock or memory settings.

If your using the msi first for fan speed and then set your clocks higher.The amd will knock out the control of the msi but all you have to do is just hit on auto to manual speed on the msi again and the fan speed will start right back up.

Just a note. Clock is at 1000 and my memory is at 1240 stable on air.Thats all I can get on air, but thats fine for me.

Hope this helps.
 
If you need to get over the clocks all you need to do is flash the bios. It will take about 20 seconds and give you whatever clocks you want.
 
That is true.I know alot of people who are flashing with the asus bios.But there are a few that would never want to flash there bios on a 400 dollar card. That is what this post is all about. About how to do it manual without taking a chance on bricking a 400 dollar card.
 
Add this line to your MSIafterburner.cfg:

EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

And bam, no longer have to use AMD gpu tool as well, MSI Afterburner does everything without a bios flash.
 
Add this line to your MSIafterburner.cfg:

EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 1

And bam, no longer have to use AMD gpu tool as well, MSI Afterburner does everything without a bios flash.

That line is already in Afterburner, from 1.4.1 onward.
Go to the .cfg file and change the "0" to "1".

Unfortunately..................from the 9.12 Catalyst, Afterburner WILL CRASH any system with CrossfireX.......it isn't AB fault, it's just that AMD put in new powersaving code for the slave card, and if you enable AB on Crossfire X with either the 9.12 or the hotfix drivers......down you go.
Anything before 9.12 works like a charm, unfortunately those were early releases.:(
 
The only problem with using the "unofficial" overclocking method in Afterburner is that it bypasses the AMD power saving options. But I still think it's a better option than flashing a new BIOS.
 
Just to give a little update on the 5870. I can run mine stable at 1025 core and 1350 memory.
 
That line is already in Afterburner, from 1.4.1 onward.
Go to the .cfg file and change the "0" to "1".

Unfortunately..................from the 9.12 Catalyst, Afterburner WILL CRASH any system with CrossfireX.......it isn't AB fault, it's just that AMD put in new powersaving code for the slave card, and if you enable AB on Crossfire X with either the 9.12 or the hotfix drivers......down you go.
Anything before 9.12 works like a charm, unfortunately those were early releases.:(

That's disappointing. AMD gpu tool doesn't seem to work for me, so I was pretty excited about this option. Unfortunately, my 3rd monitor comes today so i am stuck using the hotfix drivers. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see how 10.1 ends up.
 
That's disappointing. AMD gpu tool doesn't seem to work for me, so I was pretty excited about this option. Unfortunately, my 3rd monitor comes today so i am stuck using the hotfix drivers. Oh well, guess I'll wait and see how 10.1 ends up.

Yes, it's too bad that Crossfire FUBARs the afterburner. I guess what happened was that AMD put in some new powersaving code for Crossfire. If the user is in 2D, the second card drops to basically 0 use, and is re-enabled when 3D is started......and Afterburner doesn't like it......so it crashes.

There's a guy on guru3D forums that said he disabled the settings for this in the registry, and now everything is fine with CFx and AB.

I'm hoping this gets worked out in 10.1, honestly I can't see junking my EyeFinity set-up just to use Afterburner.

Unwinder, the Rivatuner/EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner creator feels it's all on AMD and he's waiting for them to acknowlege the problem and fix their drivers.
 
Yes, it's too bad that Crossfire FUBARs the afterburner. I guess what happened was that AMD put in some new powersaving code for Crossfire. If the user is in 2D, the second card drops to basically 0 use, and is re-enabled when 3D is started......and Afterburner doesn't like it......so it crashes.

There's a guy on guru3D forums that said he disabled the settings for this in the registry, and now everything is fine with CFx and AB.

I'm hoping this gets worked out in 10.1, honestly I can't see junking my EyeFinity set-up just to use Afterburner.

Unwinder, the Rivatuner/EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner creator feels it's all on AMD and he's waiting for them to acknowlege the problem and fix their drivers.

I had been using the enableULPS regedit before to stop the second card from going to sleep, if that's what you mean, but it doesn't seem to work with these drivers like it did with the older ones.
 
The only problem with using the "unofficial" overclocking method in Afterburner is that it bypasses the AMD power saving options.

Indeed, and why I am back to either not bothering with OCing, or just using ATI OverDrive to do 900/1300.

I kept forgetting to set the 2D settings manually after gaming. Not like my card needs to be OCed at all, so it's no biggie.
 
I completely agree. Everytime I overclock my video cards I end up with problems and its not even faster...
 
^ baseless bs. A overclock to 1 ghz on the core of a 5870 yields about 9% performance improvement. And what problems? If you watch heat, watch volts, use necessary volts, and stabilize it at moderate fan speeds, no problems.
 
RMFA, you're either doing it wrong, or not at the right times. A lot of the time 10% isn't noticeable. ie, 100fps, vs 110 fps or 20 vs 22.

But if you're averaging 54fps, 10% might be just what the doctor ordered.
 
Back
Top