Overclocking Radio interference affects wireless

wdn

Limp Gawd
Just thought I would pass this along.

I was running EasyTune 5 and I set the CPU to my new regular running speed of 8x490 = 3920 MHz.

However this time my wireless connection dropped. I actually thought I had an unstable overclock. I dropped the FSB back to 488 MHz and the wireless reconnected to the router. Bringing back up to 490, it dropped the connection again!? :mad: What on earth could be going on here, I have been running at this overclock for a few days now.

Since I have a background in radio communications I had a hunch the problem might be RFI from the chip or the Northbridge directly affecting my wireless card. It turns out I was correct. I went to the wireless router control page, and changed the wireless frequency. I changed the channel from channel 9 to channel.

So just a word to the wise, if you reach a high overclock and then your wireless Internet connection stops working, don't give up. Maybe it is radio frequency interference affecting the wireless card. To test that assumption, change the frequency on your wireless router.

Thanks. The setup is in my signature. I am running an E6400 cooled with a Zalman 9700.

hmmm, been having some of the same problems with wireless and its completely gone now that ive lowered my oc. Thats really strange. I thought it was just unstable also...

I can't say this is 100% stable yet because I am still playing around with memory timings with the new memory. However with the same setup and different brand of memory I have hit Orthos stable at 3888 MHz long enough to make it into the record book :D

At the current setup I can play Oblivion and run Super Pi 32M benchmark which runs for about 14.5 minutes. I am running to the extreme end of things so I am taking it slow and not rushing anything.

Here is the CPU-Z for 3920 at 4-4-4-8 timings

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=172142

At the current moment I am running 3848 at 4-4-3-8 timings which might even be faster performing than the other that's what I am testing now

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=172180

When I OC my components and put my guitar pickups right up to them I can hear the higher frequency. Same story with my wireless mouse and keys. Just to let you know :p

Back