• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking Q6700

Flintblade

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
122
I never overclocked before. But I am trying it out for the first time now, When I set my CPU too 333 fsb for 333x10 = 3.35ghz. The ram completely changed. When at stocks speeds of 2.66ghz, the ram is running at 400mhz 2:3. But when overclocked too 3.35ghz. It switches too 372mhz 5:6.

I want too keep my ram at 400mhz and on a 1:1 if possible. I believe this is the best performance ratio. So how would I go about setting my memory up for these settings while keeping a 3.4ghz overclock?
 
To keep your RAM at 400MHz 1:1, obviously you'd need to set an FSB of 400MHz. Since Core 2s don't have half-multipliers, your only options close to 3.4GHz at that FSB are 8x400=3.2GHz or 9x400=3.6GHz. Which option you take really depends on what your system can handle, and the only way to find that out is to test at 3.6GHz and see if it's stable(you'll almost certainly have to raise your CPU voltage and possibly your MCH voltage as well).

You may also decide to comprimise running at 1:1 if your system can't handle 3.6GHz, which is what I would personally advise since you would get better performance with a higher CPU speed and a RAM divider than you would from running a lower CPU speed at 1:1 with the RAM.
 
What does FSB strap to North Bridge mean? I can select 200, 266, 333, or 400.

My current overclock is 315x10 = 3.15ghz. vcore is at 1.31 and memory is on a 5:6 running at 378mhz.

Q6700
Asus P5e
Vista 64 ultimate
2x2gb mushkin hp 6400
 
Have you read the overclocking guide? There's a lot of usefull info there.

If your FSB as at 315, then you CANNOT run 400Mhz 1:1 with your RAM. Running 1:1 means the RAM is running at the same speed as the FSB, so 1:1 at your current settings would be 315Mhz. I would leave the RAM where it is now as it's running as fast as it can without OCing your RAM. If you're happy with your OC, then there is no reason for you to run 400Mhz 1:1.
 
alright, the ram is at 372mhz 5:6. Should I leave it be or change it?

Also, I put 1.33v in the bios for the cpu and on cpuz it shows up as being 1.27 for the voltage core.
 
That's the Vdrop ... again you should go through the OC guide...but basically what you set in the BIOS is not what you'll see in Windows. So if you're going to up the Vcore when overclocking, take a look at the hardware monitoring menu of your BIOS to see what the Vcore is reading. So for instance, when I set my Vcore of my Q6700 at 1.565, it actually reads as 1.50-1.51. Then if you're running prime95, you'll see your Vcore drop a little lower - that's Vdroop - In my case, it drops to about 1.47. So in addition to compensating for Vdrop when setting the Vcore, you have to compensate for Vdroop by setting the Vcore a little higher even (generally only for high overclocks though).

As for your ram, since the straps are preset you'll have to just choose one that falls under 400mhz. The P6N SLI-FI board I used before my current board let me unlink the fsb and ram so I could set the ram to whatever I wanted to. In fact I think my Asus P5-NE SLI does the same. Not sure about the P5e though.

Are you using the stock cpu cooler?
 
IFX-14

I'm running at 310x10 right now. Ram is 375 at 5:6: I can't go any higher or it won't boot. I guess I need too increase voltages of cpu and ram or change timings or something?
 
It should run at 3.2 without a problem, your vcore is probaby a bit low, and you might have too much droop.
Set the FSB to 400, set the multi to 8.. set the ram to 1:1 set the Vcore to 1.375..
boot it up and keep an eye on your temps..If they are good, let it ride, if they are high, try to decrease the voltage .....if its not stable, bump it back up till it is.
My Q6700 will do 400X8 for do 3.2 at stock voltage on an IP-35...for 3.6 I need 1.425 in BIOS
 
I don't get how you only need 1.425 in BIOS for 3.6..mine will crash pretty quick at that voltage. Did you mess w/ the GTL ref settings? Or did you just get a really nice chip =)
 
I've never gotten it too 3.6ghz. It's at 3.2ghz at 1.35voltage atm.

Although, my ram is on a 5:6 at 385mhz. How do I get it too do 1:1?

Do I have too change the Dram frequency from Auto too DDR2-800 or something.

All I did too get 3.2ghz was change the FSB too 320 and the vcore too 1.35. I changed nothing else in the bios, everything else is default. It's a GO Q6700 too.. nothing special.
 
I don't get how you only need 1.425 in BIOS for 3.6..mine will crash pretty quick at that voltage. Did you mess w/ the GTL ref settings? Or did you just get a really nice chip =)

I guess I got a good chip.
All voltage settings are stock except ram and vcore

I've never gotten it too 3.6ghz. It's at 3.2ghz at 1.35voltage atm.

Although, my ram is on a 5:6 at 385mhz. How do I get it too do 1:1?

Do I have too change the Dram frequency from Auto too DDR2-800 or something.

All I did too get 3.2ghz was change the FSB too 320 and the vcore too 1.35. I changed nothing else in the bios, everything else is default. It's a GO Q6700 too.. nothing special.

your running 3.2 but your doing it 320X10...thats why your ram is not 1:1...you need to drop the multi to 8 and raise the FSB to 400...
 
If he raises the FSB to 400, won't have have to raise the mch (nb) voltage a bit?
 
So if I wanted too do 3.6ghz at 1:1. I should do 400x9?

Also, do I need too increase the voltage of anything other than the cpu/ram in order too do 400x8
 
Alright, I have it set too 400x8 at 1.375v and my temps are 37,35,33,33. Should I try and hit 400x9?
 
If he raises the FSB to 400, won't have have to raise the mch (nb) voltage a bit?

not unless its unstable....I have never had to raise NB voltage on any board to get 400FSB....when I ran my Q6600 I was at 450 FSB with stock NB voltage

Alright, I have it set too 400x8 at 1.375v and my temps are 37,35,33,33. Should I try and hit 400x9?


I assume those are idle temps....and they seem fine..load temps are what you are mainly concerned about now..
Are you on a stock cooler?

3.6 might be a little more tricky and your probably gonna need more Vcore..which might bring your temps up to far....

its trial and error from this point on...let it run where it is and see if its stable....

Try running some stress tests overnight
 
Have you tried running prime95 at your 400x8 setting? Try running it for 10-15 min and see if it's stable. Also check the vdroop and your temps. If you're nowhere near the 60s, then you might be able to try for 3.6. 400 x 9 is going to require a bit more voltage though.
 
When I try 400x9 at 1.512 vcore it wont boot into windows. Perhaps this CPU just can't handle 3.6ghz? =(
 
Also what is your ram voltage set at? I believe those sticks go from 2.1 to 2.2V. make sure they're not sitting at 1.8V.
 
they're at auto. ill bump them up too 2.1 and see what happens.

I didnt touch the mch or Vtt at all. Just the cpu voltage, the multiplier and the fsb. Everything is left at auto lol.
 
Well it's rarely that simple - up to 3.2 ghz it's pretty easy to oc. After that you need to systematically adjust other voltages.
 
Back
Top