Overclocking problems

InvictuS

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
325
Here is my current setup:

E2160 w/ TT120
P35-DSL3
2x1GB DDR2-800 Crucial Ballistix

I currently have it running at 1.35ghz @ 1.4v (only way it'll start up). My current temps are at 50C with no load (and my fan running at 2k RPM).

I am wondering if my heatsink is on properly, and I will re-seat it after I post this thread.

I was running it @ 3ghz - 1.375v, with NO problems stable for 8 hrs on prime95, today it just took a crap on me.

I was also running the RAM at x3 @ 1000 stock volts (1.8v)

The FSB was 9x333. If anyone has any suggestions...I need them :(. Is there any other reason that it could be randomly shutting off?

Basically I could start and load windows, and I would try to open CPUID HW Monitor (in a folder on my desktop), and before I could get to it, it restarted. I have the threshold set at 70C (it was at 60C before this), and it still takes a crap.
 
What temps were you getting under load?
It does look like it was running way hot so the heatsink probably wasnt fitted properly.

Refit the heatsink and get the temps down.
Once they are down try to clock again, hopefully the chip hasnt been damaged.
 
I reseated it, no load 46C, when I had just bought the chip it was ~ 38C no load / 55C full load. Right now I have it clocked at 1Ghz so it will start up....

BIOS was showing me 32C, Hardware monitor is showing me 46.

The problem is...this heatsink is a B-WORD to install. I don't have the smallest hands so I could barely get it on after I took the mobo out (with the connections still on).
 
is 1ghz a typo or did you actually have to underlcock it (from 1.8, right?) to get it to boot?

I have the e2180 (same chip, higher stock) running at 3.1ghz.

Idle: 19c
Max: 40c

I'd check your temps. If you think your Tuniq Tower is hard to install, try the Xigmatek 120mm...

It all paid off though.

Also the bios "idle" will be different from the CPU temp software Idle (Coretemp?). In the Bios it's not really on idle. Probably at 40% or something. With coretemp is shows you your load and your temp so I'd use that. Keep it under 60c and you'll be fine. I actually think 72c is the "recommended max" for my chip.
 
A noisy (electrically) PSU could cause this problem in an extreme circumstance, its worth trying another PSU if possible.
If its not PSU then either you have a badly fitting or faulty heatsink, the motherboard is feeding more volts to the chip (than it says) or the chip is faulty.
 
I have it underclocked to 112x9 (1GHZ) @ 1.5v to get it to boot. I think it's a good chance that my chip is dying/on its way to the coffin.
 
I am VERY confused. SS is here:
I believe the problem is the motherboard? click

I did underclock + apply the voltage in BIOS. This is telling me different though. I do have the latest BIOS installed.

and memory is updated in the first post (crucial ballistix)
 
The temps look fine from Coretemps report.
That leaves motherboard, CPU or possibly faulty memory.
Try each stick of memory by itself and in different sockets.

Hmm thinking about it, set the VCore higher and see if it stabilises.
You might want to try giving the ram a bit more too, mine needs it.
 
Yes I think it is a motherboard problem. It seems like BIOS is not clocking it right. Sad that I have to buy a new tube of AS7 just to replace my motherboard :(.
 
Back
Top