• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking problem

Fenris613

n00b
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
5
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I'm new to overclocking. I built my own computer a few months ago and I'd like to try to get more out of it. The important specs are as follows:

CPU- Intel E 6550

Mobo- GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128078

RAM- 2 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

cpuz.jpg


I've read a few Faqs on overclocking, so I have a basic idea of what I'm trying to do here.
Now, when I use the Bios to overclock, I can only bump it up a few Mhz. The base speed is 333 and by about 340 the computer won't post. What am I doing wrong?
 
What CPU load temp are you getting?
Pls state what you are measuring with as well.

Try setting the CPU as low a speed as it can go and then see how fast you can get the motherboard/ram.
Then you will find it easier to see what is limiting you.
 
CPU load temp is mid to high 30s. I forget which program I'm using, I am at work right now.

Try setting the CPU as low a speed as it can go and then see how fast you can get the motherboard/ram.
Then you will find it easier to see what is limiting you.
Do you mean turn down the multiplier?
 
Yes, set the multi low and check the max speed of the motherboard and memory.
 
OK, I figured out what's limiting me, but I don't know why.

I set the multiplier to 6 and I was able to raise the FSB to 400. Then I realized that I forgot to take the PCIE off 'auto'. Once I set it to 100, I wasn't able to overclock anymore.

So where do I go from here?
 
If setting the PCI-E frequency to 100MHz manually causes it to fail, try leaving it on Auto and going back to the 7x multiplier.
 
I'd rather not have the PCIE frequency on 'auto' as I understand it can fry my video card...
 
Back
Top