beanman101283
2[H]4U
- Joined
- Nov 4, 2004
- Messages
- 3,051
So i decided to dip my toes into the wonderful world of overclocking yesterday. I've got an Athlon 64 4000+, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe mobo, and some Corsair PC3200 RAM tested at 2.5-3-3-6.
So i was maybe a little too aggressive? I started out upping the hypertransport to 216 right away along with the memory, trying to get to 2.6GHz. I restarted and immediately started getting file corruption errors in Windows. Restarted, put speeds back at stock, ran chkdsk a few times. It found some errors, but i was able to boot into Windows seemingly ok. Then i restarted and set speeds to 206 trying to do 2.5GHz. Restarted, and booted into Windows okay. Started running Prime95. I came back and the system was locked up. I reset the system and Windows would not restart because \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM was missing or corrupted. Did a little research and found that that's where part of the registry is. Crap.
I set my speeds back to stock then spent a couple hours researching a way to get Windows bootable again. I finally suceeded, backed up a few save game files, and reinstalled Windows. There was nothing that important on this machine.
So did i push it too hard on my first time? I'm thinking maybe my RAM can't handle the overclock, but once Windows was screwed up i didn't bother changing voltages or anything. It's not rated for anything higher that DDR400. Anyway, feel free to point and laugh. It was my first time.
So i was maybe a little too aggressive? I started out upping the hypertransport to 216 right away along with the memory, trying to get to 2.6GHz. I restarted and immediately started getting file corruption errors in Windows. Restarted, put speeds back at stock, ran chkdsk a few times. It found some errors, but i was able to boot into Windows seemingly ok. Then i restarted and set speeds to 206 trying to do 2.5GHz. Restarted, and booted into Windows okay. Started running Prime95. I came back and the system was locked up. I reset the system and Windows would not restart because \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM was missing or corrupted. Did a little research and found that that's where part of the registry is. Crap.
I set my speeds back to stock then spent a couple hours researching a way to get Windows bootable again. I finally suceeded, backed up a few save game files, and reinstalled Windows. There was nothing that important on this machine.
So did i push it too hard on my first time? I'm thinking maybe my RAM can't handle the overclock, but once Windows was screwed up i didn't bother changing voltages or anything. It's not rated for anything higher that DDR400. Anyway, feel free to point and laugh. It was my first time.