Overclocking Overload!

yeah i agree zero.. the PWM heatsink and northbridge heatsink wont be a problem at all.. i personally know that for sure.. the only problem i see is that hes using the dominator memory fans.. and thats the only thing i could see getting in the way of the fan on say a hdt-s1283..

yeah i agree zero.. the PWM heatsink and northbridge heatsink wont be a problem at all.. i personally know that for sure.. the only problem i see is that hes using the dominator memory fans.. and thats the only thing i could see getting in the way of the fan on say a hdt-s1283..
He can always move the Dominator fan assembly over a little bit to make room for the fan. And if worst comes to worst, he can flip the cooler around and install the fan on the other side pulling air through. It won't be ideal, but it'll certainly be a massive improvement over his current situation.

He can always move the Dominator fan assembly over a little bit to make room for the fan. And if worst comes to worst, he can flip the cooler around and install the fan on the other side pulling air through. It won't be ideal, but it'll certainly be a massive improvement over his current situation.

true.. didnt think about that..

Are those massive RAM heatsinks even necessary? Honestly, I don't think your RAM is going to be overheating anytime soon, especially compared to your CPU, unless you bump the voltage up to something ridiculous. Obviously you should leave them on if you've got enough room for a high-end CPU cooler but personally I'd focus more on making sure I can get one of the best CPU coolers for my money without worrying too much about the size (assuming it doesn't interfere with anything else on the mobo).

Are those massive RAM heatsinks even necessary? Honestly, I don't think your RAM is going to be overheating anytime soon, especially compared to your CPU, unless you bump the voltage up to something ridiculous. Obviously you should leave them on if you've got enough room for a high-end CPU cooler but personally I'd focus more on making sure I can get one of the best CPU coolers for my money without worrying too much about the size (assuming it doesn't interfere with anything else on the mobo).

I'll admit that I mainly just had them on because they fit, and they came with the ram set. However, now that I have clocked the ram up to 1066 (I think in reality it actually went to 1070 when I set it manually - but close enough), I would kind of like to keep them on there if I can.

Thanks for the info on the 64! I'll definitely keep that in mind, I thought it might be too good to be true at that price point, with what people were saying about it.

My girlfriend is flying back into town here shortly, but I'll try to get that measurement posted up this afternoon some time (PST).

Also, as for clearance, I can move the RAM over one more slot to give another 15mm or so of space. (will do that measurement as well, while I'm at it).

The NB is about 35mm tall.

There are about 20mm between the outside base of the heat sink riser, and the NB.

The ram is in a difficult spot to measure exactly, but I think I can gain somewhere between 10 and 15mm there.

I've been looking at the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 as you recommended. I'm pretty interested in what I see so far.

Good head dissipation, MIR gets it down to a nice price, noise rating is average/acceptable, acceptable weight (600g). My question is this. How jiggle-proof is this thing? It's pretty tall... I don't do a LOT of this, but this PC is transported in a car for 90ish minutes an average of once a month.

Could that cause a problem with how tall that bad boy is?

For anyone else keeping tabs on this discussion, here's a review from FrostyTech. Which lays out the pros and cons of this heat sink very well, they currently have it rated as #4 on their "top 5 heat sinks" list.

I'm feeling pretty confident about this part, other than the the height, and the vibration question I posted above.

I'm going to measure the height in my case later tonight. I think it should be ok.

However, I have no idea on the issue... does anyone have any insight on the vibration/movement thing during transport? Thanks!

its an amd socket mounting so you dont have to worry about the wiggling unlike with intels lga-775 socket where you would want to have the bolt through kit... just make sure you lay the system down on its side so that the heat sink isnt bouncing up and down when your driving.. you will be perfectly fine..

For anyone else keeping tabs on this discussion, here's a review from FrostyTech. Which lays out the pros and cons of this heat sink very well, they currently have it rated as #4 on their "top 5 heat sinks" list.

I'm feeling pretty confident about this part, other than the the height, and the vibration question I posted above.

I'm going to measure the height in my case later tonight. I think it should be ok.

However, I have no idea on the issue... does anyone have any insight on the vibration/movement thing during transport? Thanks!

Keep in mind that the S1283 is rated #4 for Intel systems. For AMD systems it is only rated #9. Nevertheless, it is a really great cooler and I'm glad I bought it instead of a much more expensive cooler with comparable performance. But my point is that you should also check out the other top 10 AMD coolers before deciding on the S1283 (kind of funny though how 3 of the top 10 AMD coolers are Xigmatek S128X)

Frostytech does not actually use CPUs for their testing, so I wouldn't put too much faith in their results applied to real-world situations. Just something to keep in mind.

Zero, I know that the height its self isn't much of an issue, I was wondering if having the taller unit would result in more wiggling/shaking when we drive on our poorly-maintained eastern-washington roads

And thanks for the heads up about their tests, I actually did know that, I have read several other reviews though, that also recommended the 1283. But thank you for the heads up!

Azn, thanks for pointing that out, I honestly didn't see that. I clicked on the link that said top 5 heat sinks, and the spot where I saw the link didn't specify that it was intel or amd dependent, so I thought it meant overall.

Surprise surprise... when I clicked the link it defaulted to the intel ones. Ahh well, thanks for catchin' me on that. I'll be sure to peruse the AMD list.

Zero, I know that the height its self isn't much of an issue, I was wondering if having the taller unit would result in more wiggling/shaking when we drive on our poorly-maintained eastern-washington roads
I know. I meant that the height is not an issue for that.

I've been perusing through heat sinks, and I've narrowed it down to two. I actually completely wrote the previous recommendations out of mind (just for the purposes of my test) - to see how the research compared to the recommendations.

One of the top 2 that I picked out, simply based on numbers/reviews/etc - turned out to be the same XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 that we have been discussing here. So I was glad to see things align like that.

I looked at the "dark knight" version of it as well, but the reviews didn't really prove to be much different, and the price was slightly higher.

My other pick for the top 2 that I am looking at is the Core-Contact Freezer. Not actually on the lists that I got here on the [H], but I stumbled onto it from a numbers standpoint, and was pretty pleased.

I know that frostytech isn't necessarily the last word when it comes to reviews, due to their test setup. And I did look into some real-world reviews for both of these, but I'm going to cite a few FT numbers here, just because they are clean, and easily accessible.

They gave both heat sinks a 97% overall review, and both were in their top 10 for AMD systems. They actually placed the Freezer a little higher on their list, but that's neither here nor there.

The numbers that interested me were their heat performance, and decibel ratings at various fan speeds.

They posted the freezer at +13.2 degrees (above ambient) and 51.3dBA at a high fan speed, and +17.8 degrees, and 35.6dBA with a low fan speed. Both pretty good sets of numbers.

They rated the HDT-S1283 at +14.2 degrees, and 50.7dBA at high fan speed, and +15.6 and 35dBA with a low fan speed.

The freezer has a lower low with a higher high (for both temp and sound). Which makes me lean a little bit in favor of the S1283, because of it's tighter numbers, I could run the fan at a medium or low speed, and not suffer any substantial change in heat (I like my PC's quiet).

Other reviews seemed to agree that the S1283 puts out slightly better numbers under lower fan settings.

That sent me to look at pricing, to see if that tipped the scales further in either direction. No help there either. The contact freezer is $30 on the egg right now with free shipping, and the S1283 is $27 with shipping raising it up to about $33.

Needless to say, the price difference isn't enough to get my attention.

That being said, I'm leaning toward the 1283, as I like it's tighter numbers, and it came recommended here on the [H].

Anyone care to contest that? =) If not, I'll probably pull the trigger here on Monday.

As always, thanks a ton for everyone's help with this whole process! I have learned oodles from your advice!

Both the Core Contact Freezer and the Xigmatek are about equal in terms of performance. However, I have read that the Freezer is difficult to install, so that fact may push things in favour of the Xigmatek.

Also, the Xigmatek is currently $20 after rebate at Microcenter: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1403084

Awesome! Thanks for that catch! How is that website? I've never ordered from them before.

I see that reseller ratings gives them a 50% or so... but rebateroulette gives them a 100%.

Ty again for the catch on the deal, and the info on the freezer. I'll do a little more research on that site.

Back