Overclocking on P5B-VM

Crap, how do I do screenshots of my bios, with a camera or something?
Wait, I'll try a camera, then post the pics.

it's very kind of you!
don't forget cpuz with cpu, ram & chipset screens!
i know i ask you lots of things....:p

ahhh

I can't turn my PIC-E freq. higher than 120 or it won't see my SATA II drive :(

I have gotten it up to 2.6 GHz! Any ideas how to make it faster?

and also when I run 3dmark 05 or 06 it shutsdown my PC. Event ID in event viewer is 1001.
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000008e (0x80000004, 0x806eaad1, 0xa99b065c, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini020407-04.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

HELP!

I tried! If I lower it to DDR800, she wont post, just shuts down, starts up, shuts down, you get the picture. I'm almost afraid to touch it, its rock solid right now. And isnt ok if Intel setups run async? I'm getting a 22 sec super-pi and almost 36,000 in 3DMark01

LanPirate1!
I really don't see how you managed to overclock correctly the e4300 with this P5B VM!
Using the same settings & 2 gigs of crucial PC5300 did not help either!!!
Impossible to raise the fsb over 200!
The same behavior can be reproduced with the P5LD2 VM serie! :confused:
We are 2 to experience this strange behavior on matx with c2d fsb800 (not c2d fsb1066!)

I know what your saying, but I'm telling you, and you can see for yourself.... it just works. And running the ram overspeed by 3:5, obviously the timings are so loose. Yet here it is, working, and working well. There's no way I just "got lucky" and scored a mint E4300, no way, I never have that kind of luck. monologue-(I've been o'cing my systems for 10 years, but I'm far from experienced. Besides, people are o/c'ing the E4300 on ATX boards and are going way over 200, even over 300FSB in some cases.
The VM mobo might be crap, but its all I have right now. I'm sorry it wont work for you. The good thing about playing with these toys is that there's always someone out there who can buy what you dont want anymore. In hindsight, maybe I should have just bought a $500 cpu, like an E6600, and not have spent $450 on my E6300 and now my E4300. Oh well, its a hobby).

LanPirate1!
Can you give us further details on cpuz (mainboard, ram SPD),
and if possible everest mem benchs? Thxs
In my opinion, a possible reason why you succeeded, turns out to be you rams!
Have you other sticks from a different vendor to test with?

As far as i'm concerned, the e4300 works like a charm on a matx asrock775i65g ([email protected]: fsb @300)

Hey there I have this board aswell:

http://meaker.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/meaker_bulldoghome_com/New Bitmap Image.jpg

I basically set these to the above recommended settings. I would be VERY interested to hear the settings of those going above 266mhz FSB since this is a VERY sweet spot sensitive motherboard. So if you have gone above it we need to hear the EXACT settings since even changing the divider (down or up) causes a no boot so I assume all boards can hit certain sweet spots as long as the other devices can keep up (such as mem).

I got a BSOD then raised the mem voltage to 1.95v then was ok.

Yes I can overclock this with an E4300, I am using the Gskill 5400 cas4 ram (non LA) that can do the 888mhz 5-6-6-15 required.

Hey there I have this board aswell:

http://meaker.bulldoghome.com/photos/BDRES/meaker_bulldoghome_com/New Bitmap Image.jpg

I basically set these to the above recommended settings. I would be VERY interested to hear the settings of those going above 266mhz FSB since this is a VERY sweet spot sensitive motherboard. So if you have gone above it we need to hear the EXACT settings since even changing the divider (down or up) causes a no boot so I assume all boards can hit certain sweet spots as long as the other devices can keep up (such as mem).

I got a BSOD then raised the mem voltage to 1.95v then was ok.

Yes I can overclock this with an E4300, I am using the Gskill 5400 cas4 ram (non LA) that can do the 888mhz 5-6-6-15 required.
What are your bios settings that enable you to set fsb@266?
Thxs a lot! :)

Exactly as lanpirate described :) Though setting the PCI express to 100 works a little better as it actually sets the bus to 100mhz at 266mhz fsb. You can confirm this using clockgen (google for link) and using the same PLL as the P5B-deluxe.

Exactly as lanpirate described :) Though setting the PCI express to 100 works a little better as it actually sets the bus to 100mhz at 266mhz fsb. You can confirm this using clockgen (google for link) and using the same PLL as the P5B-deluxe.
would you mind post screenshots of everest memory benchs?
It is possible to overclock this mobo with clockgen? :confused:
thxs

I was just using the clockgen program to grab my actual PCI express frequencies. I'm downloading the bench now, though my 3dmark 06 score (with vista) was correct.

BTW could you post screenshots of cpuz mainboard & SPD informations ?
thxs!

i need all these informations cause we are stucked @200 with this 4300 +p5b vm!!!

It MIGHT be that the lower mem dividers are broken, so yes the board will go higher but would require seriesly fast memory to do so.

I have set the timings to 5-5-5-15-6-30 and I am typing this at that setting, lets see if I get a BSOD as this is memory dependant.

I thought that 3:5 was only available in the 800 strap. With that in mind, theoretically, it'd be easier to use a 1:1 or something when pushing beyond 266, no? Unless, the p5b-vm is reading the bsel and keeping it at 800 or worse if you choose 1:1? Perhaps, you could give bsel manipulation a shot to force it to 1066 mode? I recall having a 945g chipset with a 1066 and it pretty much refused to boot at the 889 setting, not because the memory couldn't handle it but because it was one of the few ratios running the slower strap that the 945g no way in hell could handle at 266.

Well there is no direct memory divider access, its done in a weird way, but of the 533/666/800/888/1067 strap options there is no 1:1.

hi there!
i have a really low budget and need to buy around 6 new systems (1 server + 5 clients) so i thought the best choice would be E4300 +p5b vm +2xKingston or Corsair 667 ddr2 (the best affordable mem i could find, ocz and others are too expensive).
of course i intend to overclock 'em but at the same time i need the maximum stability, so i was wondering how long have you ppl been playing with a similar setup before experiencing a crash or some other issue.
i've been running linux 24/7 on a few athlon64 [email protected] (s939) and i really need to upgrade now to something more powerful, though these machines are still working great and are totally stable (with just a little increase in the cpu voltage).
thanks ;)

I just got this set up

I bought a new PSU and it acts all crazy.. When I hit the power button to turn it on, it comes on for about 1/4 of a second shuts off. Stays off for about a second and then turns on. And sometimes it does that when I reboot as well. Any ideas?

Hi there. I hope this gets out to specsen. I just wanted to say to him(/her...) that I've had this issue as well. I installed the P5B-vm in an Aspire X-Qpack case which includes on of their (I think) 420w PSUs.

Massive problems.

I even sent back the motherboard to the eTailer (Scan UK), who tested it and sent it back saying that THEY had got it to work. Don't send it back!!! (I cried - I think. (Not really.))

So I sat there and thought: well, I've bought it, I might as well try a bit more, and see if I can get it work.

In this moment of inspiration, I thought, "what if I turn the "pwr SW" lead (that plugs into the Asus Q-Connector) the other way round?" So I did. & it turned on and stayed on.

I turned it off after about 20 seconds, and thought some more. Is this safe? Well, it must just have been that Aspire wired the power switch wrong when they made the case. So I thought, OK, turn it back on, and have a look around the BIOS for a bit.

(I thought that if I did that, rather than install Windows, at least the system wouldn't be in the middle of doing something taxing if a problem arose. THF, heat wouldn't be building up... etc, etc)

After about 1/2 hour of messing with the BIOS, it was still on, so I thought, RIGHT. INSTALL WINDOWS. It worked. 6 months on, the system's still working.

The moral? Check your pwrSW lead. (I think there's a moral in there...)

I hope this helps someone - it sure helped me...

BR,
MC

Back