Overclocking on P5B-VM

koegs

Limp Gawd
Hello,

i try to overclock an E6600 on a Asus P5B-VM with 2x1GB DDR2-667 Infineon, but i do not get past 270MHz FSB.
I changed the mem to DDR2-533, fixed PCIe-Freq to 100Mhz, tried severeal vcores and mem-voltages but no success. Everything above 270mhz fsb and it won't even post.

The cpu and mem can at least run with 333mhz fsb, ddr2-667 @ 3.0Ghz on a P5LD2-VM SE with standard vcore and mem-voltage and a pcie-freq of 116mhz.

Anybody else with problems on a p5b-vm or any suggestions?

koegs said:
Hello,

i try to overclock an E6600 on a Asus P5B-VM with 2x1GB DDR2-667 Infineon, but i do not get past 270MHz FSB.
I changed the mem to DDR2-533, fixed PCIe-Freq to 100Mhz, tried severeal vcores and mem-voltages but no success. Everything above 270mhz fsb and it won't even post.

The cpu and mem can at least run with 333mhz fsb, ddr2-667 @ 3.0Ghz on a P5LD2-VM SE with standard vcore and mem-voltage and a pcie-freq of 116mhz.

I have the same board, just got it today.
E6400 and Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 1GB DDR2-800 XMS2-6400.
So far I have tried FSB @
270 fine
271 fine
272 no post :(
edit: Pressed C+A+D and 272 booted into windows fine :confused:
273 fine
274 fine
275 no post.

I have some Patriot PC2-6400, but I can't even increase the FSB 1 MHz. It will only boot at whatever the default is, if I up it at all, the computer refuses to even turn on.

P5B-VM 0307 BIOS, E6600.

Hey, i have the same mobo. There was a guy from another forum that said the board did not have a PCI lock, but you said that the board can be set. I don't have memory for my setup yet, anyone care to clarify?

Thanks.

hmm...seems i'm a bit "luckier" than you guys in overclocking this board.

i managed to get up to fsb 287 on a single 1gb stick of apacer ddr2-800. but anything above that, the system won't post.

personally, i feel this is a major bummer, since the board that preceded this one, a cheap asrock 775twins-hdtv r2.0 was able to get up to fsb 322 before the system became unstable.

Hexagon said:
hmm...seems i'm a bit "luckier" than you guys in overclocking this board.

i managed to get up to fsb 287 on a single 1gb stick of apacer ddr2-800. but anything above that, the system won't post.

personally, i feel this is a major bummer, since the board that preceded this one, a cheap asrock 775twins-hdtv r2.0 was able to get up to fsb 322 before the system became unstable.
Yeah, I'm bummed myself. What want to know is why did asus add support for a 500mhz FSB if it is such a bad overclocker?

Hey, can I join the club?

2 sticks of crucial DDR2-667
E6300, P5B-VM 0307
max fsb: 286. no matter what I do, I can't get one stinkin mhz higher. I tried everything. There is an article here: http://www.techspot.com/article/13-intel-core2duo-e6300-e6700-overclocking/page2.html
showing some ambios settings, looks like an Asus mobo, but we don't seem to have mch voltage ajustment. I tried cpu spread spectrum, tried locking pci-e at 100mhz, tried setting the drma to ddr533, and ddr667, still no go over 286. What good is a 500fsb bios update, anyone know?
Help! I want to stay in my SFF rig!

LanPirate1 said:
Hey, can I join the club?

2 sticks of crucial DDR2-667
E6300, P5B-VM 0307
max fsb: 286. no matter what I do, I can't get one stinkin mhz higher. I tried everything. There is an article here: http://www.techspot.com/article/13-intel-core2duo-e6300-e6700-overclocking/page2.html
showing some ambios settings, looks like an Asus mobo, but we don't seem to have mch voltage ajustment. I tried cpu spread spectrum, tried locking pci-e at 100mhz, tried setting the drma to ddr533, and ddr667, still no go over 286. What good is a 500fsb bios update, anyone know?
Help! I want to stay in my SFF rig!
I'm going to hold out for the next bios update, if ASUS doesn't get something working I'm going to give up on this board and move on to something that will OC.

did you guys try upping the pci-e speed from 100mhz to say 110mhz
this worked for me on my p5ld2-vm which is at the max of 265mhz (wont go 266mhz cuz of stupid limit)

Soparik2 said:
did you guys try upping the pci-e speed from 100mhz to say 110mhz
this worked for me on my p5ld2-vm which is at the max of 265mhz (wont go 266mhz cuz of stupid limit)
I'll give it a shot, but I noticed while in XP that even with a small OC all my USB controllers were maked with a
icon4.gif
, once I dropped my FSB back down to stock they were no longer flagged as not working. So I'm guessing that the PCI bus doesn't get locked.

EDIT: Ok I was able to boot at 275FSB. with PCE at 110. I'll see how fast I can get now.

EDIT2: 300Mhz FSB appears to be my new wall. What are the problems to look for when increasing the speed of the PCIe bus?
Looking at CPUz it looks like my memory is getting overclocked, and isn't the vcore supposed to be higher?
C2D.jpg
C2D-2.jpg

If I drop the memory speed fromDDR2 800 to DDR2 667 in the Bios all it really does is change the FSB:Memory ratio from 2:3 to 4:5. Asus should have labled these as the different ratios they set, not as Mem speed settings.

Oh well I'm running at 2.4ghz now. Not as fast as I would like, but still at lot better than before.

Sweet! I raised my PCI-e to 110, and I'm now at 296fsb for a total on my E6300 of 2072Mhz. I tried 300 and it would not post, so I'm somewhere between 296 and 299, so far.
Is there a program to check what actual pci-e bus speed we are running at in Windows?

I just got this set up

E6400
P5B-VM
1 GB Geil PC 6400 (800 Mhz)

I have the same issue, I got it to go up to 305 FSB with the PCI-E @ 110. What is the deal with this mobo? adjust speed as you wish. It should say adjust speed as you wish and then I won't boot!

another question. I bought a new PSU and it acts all crazy.. When I hit the power button to turn it on, it comes on for about 1/4 of a second shuts off. Stays off for about a second and then turns on. And sometimes it does that when I reboot as well. Any ideas?

It seems to be a problem with the G965-Chipset.

Using a board with 945G-Chipset will result in slighty higher FSBs, e.g. 333Mhz.

The "off then reboot" is quite normal for your mainboard, this has nothing to do with your power supply.

specsen said:
Well you can be certain that as soon as I get a vid card I'm switching MOBOs
has anyone tried the p5b-vm with an external video card? maybe it's the onboard limiting and if it's disabled it'll help?

No change with a BFG 7600 GT. I thought that might be it as well. I have played with a lot of things to see if it will go higher. The highest I've gotten it to work at is 2.49, which is what its at right now and running well.

koegs said:

i have E6600 on a P5LD2-VM SE with 348 fsb ddr2-667 @ 3.132 with 1.4vcore standard
mem-voltage & pci-e set at 118. prob is i want faster 3.2+ lol

I am still looking for the best overclock mobo for the E6400/6600/6700 (maybe another mobo for each CPU?)
Little I''ve read on the Internetz.

"Cause this mobo can without a lot of vmods with a 4MB L2 cache CPU it can do 500MHz FSB and higher this mobo became a good alternative to the P5W DH. 500MHz FSB isn't easy on the P5W DH what makes the P5B Deluxe ideal board for the E6600.
The P5B uses another bios as the P5B Deluxe the overclock on the two platforms cannot be compared."

So in fact the different bioses have a great influence on the specs.
Thera are even some Hardware Overclocking (vcore-mod/vdimm-mod/vMCH-mod) trics for the Asus P5B Deluxe | P965 @ 500MHz and higher.(not possible in any bios now and in the future)
Watch the pics http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/1153447

Still have a lot of questions:

I hear some mobo's cannot see 4 GB ram!?

Still have to study the different typos P5B-XX's and alternatives to the Asusu mobo's.

Pitty that the multplier is locked on 9x cause the multiplier is always the great power in overclocking. I wouldn't use less than 9x like I read in some overclocking specs.

X6800 yeh pitty: http://cal930.sakura.ne.jp/cgi-bin/c-board/file/pifasthexus1911.png

i have a motherboard P5B-VM, Intel core 2 duo E6400, 1gb DDR2 667 a-data, integ. graphic X3000 and storage HDD WDC 120 GB.
Bios: 0405

my overclocking:
intel core 2 duo 2,13GHZ@2,7GHZ :D
fsb: 266@338MHz
pcie: auto@125MHz

my link:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=151410

You have to heigten frequence PCIE to 125MHz and you may to overclocking.
and ram 667Mhz@533Mhz, than i have rate 1:1 = RAM:FSB.

do you see the point?

Hello guys! I'm about to build a gaming pc with a ST SG01, core2duo of course.
Which mobo/chipset should I choose,regarding that I want to overclock ?
*ASUS P5LD2-VM or
*ASUS P5B-VM

As I have being reading in some forums that the 945G chipset has more overclocking capabilities than the G965 chipset, but the memory is slightly weak ? correct?
or is it the Bios that holding G965 boards back ? Anywho I want to buy and build my SFF system now :D plz help me, which board, which chipset ?

And second, what do you think of these memory sticks ?
*OCZ High Performance 2x1024MB Kit Gold XTC
*Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Can I choose one of these for me system ?

//Warget

I have found a diffrent mobo, maybe this is something for us who wants to overclock c2d
P5B-MX/WiFi-AP

I have emailed Asus due to this;
"Overclocking Features SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection): allowing FSB tuning from 133MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increment
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)"

And I have asked them if this board has a working pcie-lock when raising the FSB, i hope to get an answer.

After much fooling around, I decided to have some fun and get an E4300. I know its the same price as my E6300 up here in Canada, but who cares, I'm trying to have fun, its cold now, lol. The P5B-VM is a bear to work with, I thought I could just change cpu's and set the fsb to 300(9X300). My 6300 ran at 300fsb with a 110 PCI-E setting and everything else at auto.
well, after bending this E4300 over for a few hours, I can only get the fsb up to 250 with any kind of stability in windows. 250X9=2250. Runs all benchmarks like a rock. BTW, cpu temp will not go over 31C, this is a cool chip.

Here's what I know so far:

1. If I try and adjust the cpu voltage at all off of auto, it wont even post.
2. If I try and adjust cpu voltage off of auto, same crap.

I had it boot into windows at 266FSB, which was a solid 2400MHZ! But windows just froze, then rebooted. I figured it might have been cpu voltage, but it wont adjust.

Anyone using the new beta bios from Asus, 0606? Maybe I should backdate to 0405.

I'm trying everything I can not to go ATX, am I alone here? I am getting tempted by the dark side, I saw a nice P5B-Deluxe calling my name today when I bought the E4300.

Update: I am now stable at 266FSB. All it took was to turn off SPD in the chipset menu, then select ram speed of ddr800 in the ram settings. Everything else is at auto. I will try higher, which involves a 110PCI-E set and post my findings.
So, for now the little E4300 is at 266X9=2400MHZ. Superpi=22 seconds, 3dmark01=35800.

not bad, glad it's working at 266fsb now. I was originally thinking maybe the board set bus frequencies based off bsel values, so when scaling to 266 from 200, it'd have issues. But I guess it looks like it's ok :)

After much fooling around, I decided to have some fun and get an E4300. I know its the same price as my E6300 up here in Canada, but who cares, I'm trying to have fun, its cold now, lol. The P5B-VM is a bear to work with, I thought I could just change cpu's and set the fsb to 300(9X300). My 6300 ran at 300fsb with a 110 PCI-E setting and everything else at auto.
well, after bending this E4300 over for a few hours, I can only get the fsb up to 250 with any kind of stability in windows. 250X9=2250. Runs all benchmarks like a rock. BTW, cpu temp will not go over 31C, this is a cool chip.

Here's what I know so far:

1. If I try and adjust the cpu voltage at all off of auto, it wont even post.
2. If I try and adjust cpu voltage off of auto, same crap.

I had it boot into windows at 266FSB, which was a solid 2400MHZ! But windows just froze, then rebooted. I figured it might have been cpu voltage, but it wont adjust.

Anyone using the new beta bios from Asus, 0606? Maybe I should backdate to 0405.

I'm trying everything I can not to go ATX, am I alone here? I am getting tempted by the dark side, I saw a nice P5B-Deluxe calling my name today when I bought the E4300.

Update: I am now stable at 266FSB. All it took was to turn off SPD in the chipset menu, then select ram speed of ddr800 in the ram settings. Everything else is at auto. I will try higher, which involves a 110PCI-E set and post my findings.
So, for now the little E4300 is at 266X9=2400MHZ. Superpi=22 seconds, 3dmark01=35800.
What do you mean by turm off SPD? default? manual on low settings?
the max fsb accessible in bios is 500 isn't it , but the max fsb feasable is 266 with your 4300?
Thxs

LanPirate1!
Could you detailed your bios settings because we encounter in France the same issue or worse!
Impossible to set fsb @266 with this e4300 + P5B VM (bios 606) !
Thxs a lot!
what rams are you using: 6400 or 5400?

update your BIOS... 1004 is out and is working very well. fixes a ton of memory compatibility related problems for me.

I'll look into the bios, must be real new, as I uodated to 0606 this week.

Anyway, here's what I have some bios settings at for 0606. remember, I'm sitting at 266X9 with perfect stability, and very cool running temps, as everything is at stock voltages.

I'm using crucial ddr2-667, basically stock ram, default voltage is 1.8V

Bios 0606

Advanced, Jumper-free menu:

CPU freq: 266
Dram Freq: DDR2 889
PCI-e Freq: auto
Spread: enabled
Mem voltage: auto
CPU core voltage: auto

the DRAM freq, in the choices, the 889 was one below the 1066 fsb. There are no memory dividers in the bios, so I suppose this is the crude way Asus lets us divide the ram/fsb. See below for the CPU-Z findings.

Advanced, Chipset, Northbridge configuration

Memory Remap: disabled
Configure Dram by SPD: disabled
cas 5
ras to cas 6
ras precharg 6
ras active 15
recovery time 6
trfc 30

Like I said, I'm using you run of the mill 1.8V crucial ddr2-667, so the timings are not that great. So she boots into windows nice and clean, passes all stability testing.
CPU-Z says:

E4300 266X9=2400MHz.
stepping 2, Revision L2

Here's the part I need some help understanding please:

In the CPU-Z memory tab, the

Frequency is: 444MHz what is my ddr2 667 actually doing here?
FSB:DRAM 3:5 so, the ram is running 1.66 times faster than the FSB?
cas 5
ras to cas 6
ras precharge 6
cycle time 15

Anyway, I will try upping the FSB a little at a time from here. As we know, the P5B-VM is happy @300 and thats pretty much it, so damn straight I would be happy with a final speed of 2700Mhz. Actually, I'm happy with 2400 right now, as this board crapped out on my E6300 at 2100 MHz.
So for me, M-ATX is very much alive. Should tide me over till we see what Abit brings us(soon, I hope)

update your BIOS... 1004 is out and is working very well. fixes a ton of memory compatibility related problems for me.

Dude, you are talking about the P5B P965 series of mobos! This thread of for the G965 P5B-VM! Try another thread please. Only us M-ATX guys here.

Lanpirate1!
No way! :mad:
still the same results, overclocking failed!
Could you post screenshots of your bios settings & cpuz reports (cpu:mem/chipset) please
Thxs!

Back