overclocking noob? pentuim II

boredguyatcomp

Limp Gawd
ok so im a 99% noob at overclocking never done it before. i have this old computer running windows 98se, pentium II processor, 128mb of ram, 12gb of storage space, onboard graphics.
i think thats all you need to know? can anyone tell me how to overclock the processor? and anything else i need to know other then cooling issues. thanks!

Overclocking a Pentium II? lol
Well that probably depends on the motherboard. If it's in a Dell system or something, then you probably can't OC at all because all such options are taken out of the BIOS.
However, why would you want to OC a Pentium II? To squeeze out an extra 50Mhz? It's not going to make a difference ;)

{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
However, why would you want to OC a Pentium II? To squeeze out an extra 50Mhz? It's not going to make a difference ;)

Thats not what we were saying when we were overclocking our P-IIs... ;) Abit BP6 For Life Bitches

To the OP: What is the motherboard?

That isn't a good sign, it probably has no overclocking features. Perhaps you can change jumpers though. Do you have the manual? Or just look around on the motherboard for a jumper chart, it might have one printed on the board.

But, the truth of the matter is, you can buy any speed P-II you want for less than $10. If you just wanted to learn about overclocking, this isn't the computer to learn on.

Plus its not really worth OC'ing

Why sqeeze out only a few more mhz which might make your system less stable (trust me, experience :rolleyes: ) than just deal with whatever you have?

I have a p2 also...

i was just wanting to learn how to. is there anything special ive messed around in bios options before, but i thought all of you did something special to really consider it "overclocking"

You can't really "learn" to OC on a p2 because overclocking a P2 is very different than OCing say a AMD64 and same goes for any p4.

If it wasn't a Compaq and had some overclocking options you could learn some but the newer stuff has different options and some stuff you'd have to worry about on a p2 doesn't apply to an A64 so you're probably not gonna be able to learn anything off of that comp.

Things are even worse because it is a slot configuration, so there is no possibility of a pinmod. Did you look for jumpers? That is probably your only hope.

taqueso said:
Things are even worse because it is a slot configuration, so there is no possibility of a pinmod. Did you look for jumpers? That is probably your only hope.

The pins are different but you can tape pins on the slots to change voltages and default FSB. Some of the P2's have locked multi so changing the FSB might be the only way to overclock it.

Black-Tom said:
Plus its not really worth OC'ing

Why sqeeze out only a few more mhz which might make your system less stable (trust me, experience :rolleyes: ) than just deal with whatever you have?

I have a p2 also...

Overclocking is worth it, especially for old hardware. It won't be any less stable if you test it enough. I had a P2 350@542(155FSB) for over a year with no problems at all, prime stable and all.

Trust me, experience :rolleyes:

AssMan said:
The pins are different but you can tape pins on the slots to change voltages and default FSB. Some of the P2's have locked multi so changing the FSB might be the only way to overclock it.

I know you can change voltage with a pin mod, and you can mess with the B21 pin for 66/100mhz signaling. But I don't think you can change FSB with a pin mod.

Back