Overclocking Noob here

KillRoy X

Gawd
Yeah that's me when it comes to overclocking. If you look at my sig you'll see i'm running ol' school and at pretty much at stock.

I'm trying to find out the best way to go about overclocking my 8400 GPU, and just moderately. I'm not looking for crazy clocking, just enough to add a few frames here and there.

I think my 460 is overclocked but what are the best tools to use these days?

My rig is cooled terrific so I'm not looking to go liquid or anything.

Just wondered if there is software I should be looking at for minor overclocking. My rig has maybe a year left in it.

Thanks!

Is your CPU the E8400 dual core or the Q8400 quad core? Is your motherboard model # 132-CK-NF78? Just looking for some more information. It looks like there are some 780i overclocking guides out there, just use them for reference since you aren't trying anything exotic other than air cooling. A good place to start will be refreshing the TIM between the CPU and heatsink if it hasn't been done in over a year...any leading paste will be fine, as long as you properly clean the surfaces before application. Make sure you buy enough to do several applications though, and think about pulling the heatsink off that 460GTX and maybe even the motherboards' heatsinks (if you're really serious about this endeavor). MSI Afterburner is a good GPU OC utility but some might chime in with their preferences. Your case/CPU/GPU fans might be getting tired as well and if you can replace them for cheap it might be a good idea, or look up how to lubricate them before they lock up down the road (they don't last forever).

Thanks BuzzBomb for the advise! Yeah I have the dual core NOT the quad e8400.

Yeah, my good ol' system is just that...ol'. ha, but I'll look into some of your suggestions before actually starting the overclock.

thx!

Thanks BuzzBomb for the advise! Yeah I have the dual core NOT the quad e8400.

Yeah, my good ol' system is just that...ol'. ha, but I'll look into some of your suggestions before actually starting the overclock.

thx!

I love legacy overclocking, but I'm mostly AMD and don't have a lot of experience with Intel from Slot 1 on. Google is your friend for the CPU/chipset specifics but the fundamentals still apply: good new thermal paste, good heatsinks, good fans, proper airflow setup. Now that I think about it, something you didn't mention was your CPU heatsink; is it just a stock Intel HSF or aftermarket? If aftermarket, which one?

The CPU heatsink fan is definately after market, older version of the Artic Freeze. It's been great, never had any issues with it.

Take a look at some 780i overclocking guides .... Chances are your wont gain a ton with just a dual core though, Cant say (been ~5 years since ive used a dual core)

I know you're only interested in overclocking your current CPU but you might want to consider throwing a quad core processor in there...there are lots of options that won't break the bank and you could end up with better overclock results anyway.

Back