Overclocking non K Skylake processors possible

pxc

Extremely [H]
http://www.techspot.com/review/1108-intel-locked-skylake-cpu-bclk-overclocking/

Well dream no more! In overclocking circles it was persisted that BCLK (base clock) overclocking might become a possibility in Skylake processors, but it would be up to motherboard manufacturers to circumvent Intel's restrictions. Last night Asrock contacted us to say it has an updated BIOS that enables this condition and we've jumped at the opportunity to test and confirm this.

Asrock has worked some of its magic and has enabled base clock overclocking on all non-K Skylake-S processors. That is, any Asrock Z170 motherboard will be able to overclock the Pentium G4400, G4500, G4520, Core i3-6100, i3-6300, i3-6320, Core i5-6400, i5-6500, i5-6600 and Core i7-6700 above their default operating frequency.

We are told this updated BIOS for their Z170 motherboards will be available to owners very soon. So with that, let's see how the Core i3-6100 gets on when fully unleashed…

They overclocked an i3-6100 to 4.7GHz using BCLK. It's about time overclocking returned to Intel's side without a price premium.

That overclocked dual core chip can almost hang with the stock speed 8 core 8320E (3.2/4GHz turbo) in several tests, and outright beats it in several others, all while using 25% less power. lol

Only downside is you have to disable the iGPU.

I want to get an i5 to test this, I wonder if they can make this work on Xeons too.

Very interesting indeed. Intel is not going to like this.
For a long time the various parts of the chip didn't have fine grained control of various clock divisors, hampering BCLK overclocking. The clock divisors for various parts of the chip must have been unlocked and semi-documented for this to work, so I think it was intentional.

What's Intel really losing, a few bucks on a non-K vs K? The desktop parts are pretty well segmented, and it's not like a dual core suddenly displaces many quad core chips. BCLK overclocking is pretty coarse and runs parts of the chip out of spec. Unlocked multipliers are still the superior overclocking method.

Pretty cool that they can bring this to H110 boards. Now to see how long it take other board makers to catch up and offer the same feature...

I might've jumped the gun, not sure if it's actually what were looking for :(

Back