overclocking my x800xl

rebith75

n00b
Hey i was throwing the idea around to pump up my x800xl but not sure how much I can get out of it, everyone says artic is the best but is it worth it to pay 30 dollars for a (what people say) minimal amount of overclocking from stock. right now I am running 409 and 523 with about 4950 in 3dmark05, how much more would I expect to get if I get one of these aftermarket coolers? thanks

Cooling is a mileage may vary thing. Try oc'ing with the stock cooler first and see what you get. Just follow the guidelines of OCing and youll be all right. I havent changed my stock cooler or even replaced the thermal paste on my X800XL. It seems to be just fine. About all I can get out of mine is 428/540. I think my limit is actually a combo of my PSU and my motherboard, I get a weird loose video shut down restart kinda thing when I hit about 435. And if the onboard temp sensor is correct, its not overheating. At least not that I can tell.

Anyways, back to your original question, Arctic Cooling makes great coolers, but I like the Zalman cooper cooler better, Ive had both and the Zalman worked better. IMO. You might get a little more outta of the card, but probably not much if your stock cooler is doing its job.

you will have a hard time overclocking the x800xl core very far even if you do volt mods.

The RAM you will have better luck with, however.

the x800xl core is done on a budget manufacturing process (compared to the x800pro or XL ect.)... so it does not clock so well.

I did a volt mod... got the core up to 1.6v (with much cooling...) and could only get 50mhz above stock... it's not worth it really unless you just enjoy tweaking.

The X800XL's are known for not overclocking that well, so it is really up to you if it is worth it or not. For many $30 is nothing and the higher 3DMark scores make up for it. :p

I have OCd the heck out of mine see sig... stock cooling on it too

not sure what my 3dmark score is since I have not installed that in ages but my FPS goes up 10-20fps between stock speeds and my overclock on it

yep u rather not boherr u probably wont even see the increase in performance. maybe .05 frames.

Back