Overclocking my i7-950

asguitarplaya

Limp Gawd
So I have a quad core i7-950. Heard these babies are fun to OC.
That being said I've never OC'd my rig before. I'm setting it up for water cooling so I'll be
Fine cooling wise.
Any advice?

There are plenty of guides online. Just look up i7 920 or 930 overclocking. They're all the same, the only differences is that the max multipliers are different.

With a good cooling setup, you should be able to hit at least 3.8-4.0 ghz. If you're lucky, you can get 4.2-4.3.

you want to isolate each subsystem and determine your max stable clock on each one; pull your RAM and multi back and find your max bclock, then pull the bclock back and see how fast the RAM will go, then you can set a RAM ratio that will run at or near your max bclock and start playing with the multi. You may find that your best clock is not achieved at max bclock but at a lower bclock and a higher multiplier. I'm stable at 180x23

Advice? Go with Sandy Bridge! :D Hit 4.5Ghz on mine without even trying...took all of 2 minutes and I was flying!

With 1366 it's a little more complicating. Just Google "Sabertooth X58 overclocking" and you'll find more than enough how-to's. Like Tsumi said, 3.8-4Ghz is the average going rate. You might get a little higher but that means a lot more trial and error. I remember getting mine to 4Ghz pretty easily and more importantly it ran completely stable...something I had more trouble with a 4Ghz+.

It's good.

I used this guide for my 920.

Honestly though, the more you read, the better.

I had a couple i7's I over clocked. Make sure to turn off all the intel goodies (C1E, EIST etc). Make sure boost is enabled to get access to the higher multiplier. You should be able to get to about 4.0ghz at stock volts. The 2 I had I ran at 20 x 200 at 1.185v on air.

4 ghz at stock volts is extremely rare. You were lucky to get golden chips.

Normally, it takes around 1.25 to 1.3v to get 4ghz, and some will take more than that and require watercooling to get to 4.

I had those disabled at first, then enabled them later on once my system was stable. It didn't really affect anything.

Back