• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking Linux LiveCD

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
6,677
I don't know about you guys, but there's nothing more annoying than having to reinstall all my programs and my OS (or reimage if I had forethought) because I overclocked my RAM too far and it corrupted my OS so badly that it won't boot anymore.

This is just the sort of thing that a LiveCD would be good for - it could come preinstalled with tools like P95 and a memory tester. The hardest part would be temperature monitoring - hardware is rarely a one-size-fits-all prospect in Linux.

I think this is a great idea, so I'm surprised I've never seen it before. Does this already exist?

I'm fairly certain I lack the skills necessary to make my own LiveCD, but when the rest of my new system comes I will be sorely tempted to put Linux on a thumb drive so I'm not wasting time installing Windows when it will just get corrupted anyway...
 
Overclock in smaller steps. Read the overclock guide, you're going too quick too fast. Linux and Windows are different operating systems so overclocking results will differ. Install windows and image it if that is what your OS is going to be in final form.
 
What little experience I have with Linux and overclocking ,I found out that Linux does not like overclocking. I was trying to install Ubuntu on a overclocked AMD X2 computer and it would lock up when I was downloading and installing the updates for the OS. Took the overclock out and had no problems updating.
 
What little experience I have with Linux and overclocking ,I found out that Linux does not like overclocking. I was trying to install Ubuntu on a overclocked AMD X2 computer and it would lock up when I was downloading and installing the updates for the OS. Took the overclock out and had no problems updating.
Means you weren't stable in the first place. :p
 
Back
Top