• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking i875P past 250FSB..

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 4, 2001
Messages
1,895
Hello,

I am about to get an Intel P4 3.4C ES with unlocked multipliers and my goal is to run that chip at at least 250FSB. With that high FSB, is special cooling is needed to the northbridge or that passive heatsink is good enough? My motherboard is an Asus P4C800-E FYI.

Thanks in advance,

Para
 
I'd get a Thermaltake XP-120, because 3400/200 = 17. 17*250=4250. good luck.

No, the Thermaltake XP120 won't fit with some slight bending of capacitors. If you break one you are going to be hurting.
 
I got an Engineering Sample, which means that it has multipliers unlocked from 14X to 17X. So, if you do 14 X 250 = 3500MHz, I think that this CPU can do that. My question was about the cooling necessary for the northbridge, at 250+FSB. I am thinking of getting the Thermalright NB-C1 to cool it.

LMK

Para
 
I highly suggest getting some different RAM if you are intending to run over 250MHz FSB with that CPU. I couldnt help but notice in your sig that you are running Corsair XMS3200 v1.2, which uses Winbond CH5 chips. There is a huge incompatibility with Winbond CH5 and Intel's i865/875 chipsets which makes it impossible to post anywhere from 240MHz-260MHz.
 
Hello,

Thanks for replying. Well, I was thinking to run at 5:4 ratio. The performance is often better when coupled with low latencies. So while my FSB will be set at 250MHz min., my memory will be set at 200MHz.

For the incompatibilities, I am glad to hear this because I had a lot of problem at first when I installed that ram last week. Memtest gave me like more than 40 000 (fourty thousands) errors in only one pass. I don't know why but now it works fine. This is probably due to swapping the memory modules from the memory slots, I don't know.

So, what about cooling the northbridge? Is it necessary or only a luxury?

Thanks

Para
 
Parabellum,

I didn't "see" the ES. I'm sorry.

I would just put a really small pan on top of the heatsink. You may have some (Nouth Bridge cooling fans) laying around.
 
luxury...
<-- stock Asus passive cooling, more then enough for my 255fsb
 
Thanks dude, that is good to hear. I will at least remove the passive heatsink and add some AS5, at a minimum.

Para
 
the higher the FSB the better!! Shoot for 300Mhz FSB with a 3:2 ratio rather than 250 with 5:4. It will be even faster, and even lower latency with a 300Mhz FSB.

I have Corsair XMS3200 (not sure if its v1.1 or v1.2) I might even have 1 of each b/c I bought them at different times.

Edit: just noticed that you only have 14-17 multipliers, that sucks. 12 & 13 would have been good. 12x300=3600 or
13x300= 3900Mhz!! :) I think you would have been able to pull that, its only a 500Mhz from default.

14x300 = 4200 probably not doable :(
 
most intel boards will run 250fsb easily. it's the ram that's gonna be harder getting up there
 
freecableguy said:
When you see "12 - 17" read this as 12 through 17. He has 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17. duh


I only have 14-17 multipliers. I see that you have a 3.4EE ES :eek: how did you manage to get your hands on this one :confused:

I want at least to run at 250FSB. Yeah, 12 & 13 would have been great. Also what cooling are you using to get close to 4GHz?

Para


***EDIT***
Yawn... Just saw the last lines of your sig :rolleyes:
 
cable guy, have you tried going higher with 5:4 ratio and seeing if you can get to 300FSB?

Ex: 300FSB x 13 = 3.9Ghz with ram at DDR480
I bet you $,1 your benches and scores would be
higher if you can get everything to run at that speed.

My ram is only good up until like 211 so I cant keep 5:4 to 300... I have to drop to 3:2 but my sisoft scores are right under 6000Mb/s even with 3:2 ratio. GO FOR MAX FSB, memory ratios are you friends, use them! :)

Check this out http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/
 
try disabling PAT. i have to disable GAT( abits name for asus's PAT ) to get to 284fsb
 
freecableguy,

only a 500mhz overclock from a TEC, at -15C ??

that's kinda of a weak chip then,

you should be able to get way more outta that chip than 500mhz, buddy
 
Back
Top