• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking Help

iSkylla

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
1,685
Hey guys, here is my system:

AMD FX-55
DFI LanParty Ultra-D
2GB PQI RAM DDR400 (2x 1G)
Lian-Li PC-60Plus Black
Zalman 7700Cu
2x Maxtor 300GB 16MB HDs
Pioneer Dual Layer DVD±RW
AOpen CD±RW/DVD-ROM
ATI X800XL
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I have read overclocking guides, isolate your components, and get the highest speeds, but is there a way to incrase say the HTT until you crash through windows, I would prefer not having to keep going into BIOS, raising it 5Mhz, then rebooting etc... Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
 
Thanks. So I just increase like 3-5 Mhz while Prime95 is running until I get errors, right?
 
i do it by increasing the HTT by 2-3 and running superPI untill it fails then if my temps are still in a decent range i will increase the voltage till i get the voltage and frequency as high as i want it with the temps still being in a reasonable range then i run Prime95 to test the stability of the system.

you want your temps to stay under 50c if you can but low 50's is ok to.

i never change the speed my computer is running while i am running a test that is why i use superPi, i usuallly run either 8m or 16m while i am trying to OC my computers.
 
What do you mean you usually run 8m or 16m while OCing. I dont understand.
 
iSkylla said:
What do you mean you usually run 8m or 16m while OCing. I dont understand.

Thats pi calculated to 8 and 16 million digits in Super Pi. Personally I run small ffts in prime95 while oc'ing with clockgen. Try whichever method you prefer.
 
Okay, so run SuperPi for 8m after you increase your clock 3-5, then test again. Is that correct?
 
Thats one way of doing it. I usually turn prime95 on, then bump htt up 1-2mhz (which is multiplied by cpu multi) every 15-30 seconds until prime fails or windows locks up. From there, adjust mem timings, voltage, etc and keep working up.
 
Okay. I have a quick question, I was reading this guide on Anandtech and it said to fnd your max HTT which is just raising the Clockgen and reducing your multi to like 6 and memory to SPD and 100 to take the CPU and mem out of the equation. But then it says the Max Chip capability, what is the difference. What do I do to get the "Max Chip Speed".
 
Max htt is the limit of your motherboard. So, say you get a max htt of 340mhz. Then your ram is stable to 230mhz. Now that you now these numbers, thats when you drop your ram to 100mhz to keep it out of the loop, and start getting your cpu higher. Eclipse explains it much better than I can here.

BTW when using clockgen, keep track of what the htt is before it craps out, then go into bios and set the htt a few mhz below what the last htt was and reboot. If you have "cmos reloaded" on your board, save the good settings in one of the slots so you can go back to that and make a few changes as needed.
 
Back
Top