Overclocking help

Boojak

n00b
I have a few questions before I start overclocking my PC manually. I aim to reach 4.6GHz stable for 24/7 operation - and I believe that I won't use all of the full horsepower fully, maybe 8 hours a day.

Before I ask, my spec: i7 2600k and some latest Asus board (the pro version).

1) Should I set the manual vcore to determine what voltage is the most stable first? Starting from around 1.300v? Or should I just set the offest and increase the value until I reach the stability? BTW I'm still not 100% sure how the offset and the manual work. Say.... base voltage is 1.23 and if the offset is set as +.20, then the voltage will become 1.43? That's without the PPL overvoltage feature (and another one) being disabled. Right?

2) Does the offset vcore save power? If so, then yes I'll use it instead of the manual one. But I'm just wondering, how would that work with speedstep? Should I disable speedstep and still save power from the offset vcore?

3) Should the PPL overvoltage feature be enabled? I was Reading that the feature could cause the PC to malfunction if the Sleep feature is used. Not that I use the Sleep feature, but still.

4) I have 16GB ram (4x4gb) and I've heard that 4 sticks have to use more voltage than 2 sticks to get an OC stability. Should I take that into consideration when overclocking my processor?

5) What value should the LLC feature use for 4.6GHz? High, ultra high or extreme (100%)?+

6) What values should the Phase Control and Duty Control features use? Extreme? T.Probe?++ + + + ++

Many thanks in advance!

This is my settings for 5Ghz

AI Tweaker" Page"

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

BCLK/PEG Freq = 100
Memory Frequency = 1600mhz or whatever freq your Mem is.

OC Tuner = Disabled

EPU Power Saving = Disabled

EPU Settings = Disabled

Dram Timing Control. Set to memorys SPD timings.

Internal PLL overvoltage = disabled
CPU Power Management

CPU Ratio - Manual

Turbo Ratio = By All Cores

By all cores = 50

Turbo Mode = Enabled

Load Line Calibration = Ultra High

VRM Spread Spectrum = Disabled

VRM Frequency = Manual

VRM Fixed Freq Mode = 370

Phase Control = Extreme

Duty Control = T.Probe

CPU Current Capability = 120%

Dram Voltage = Set to Memory spec.

CPU Voltage = Manual - whatever you got it with your oc. Be careful with the voltage

All other voltages = Auto

Advanced -> CPU Configuration Page

CPU Ratio = depends on your oc. Ratio x 100 = frequency

Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor = Enabled

Hyper-Threading = Enabled

Active Processor Cores = All

Limit CPUID Maximum = Disabled

Executebit = Disabled

Speedstep = Disabled

Turbo = Enabled

C1E = Enabled

C3 = Disabled

C6 = Disabled

Under 1.4v pll off.
when you start. First put the ram on its rated specs and timings then run memtest86 on it. If it pass then start with the cpu.

Put your ratio on 40 first then run prime for 5 min with the quick test. If it pass then set the ratio higher. If it fails then set the vcore up by 0.025. Repeat that process till you reach your goal/your temps are 80 at full load/ or you reach 1.4v.

Ok, I have finally done it!

OC'd to 4.6GHZ with the vcore offset of +0.025, which is equivalent to 1.320 ~ 1.340v (according to HWMonitor).

I've been running Prime95 with Small FTL for 17 hours and so far, no issues! Is this enough to be a stable OC?

The last time I had a 0x101 BSOD was when the vcore offset was 0.020 @ 4.6GHZ. I got that BSOD after 3 hours of stress testing. So I've had increased the offset by 5 and so far, no issues yet (been running for 17 hours).

The voltage seems good for a 4.6GHZ OC, meaning I can possbily run 4.8GHZ at less than 1.4v. However, what's stopping me from reaching these higher OC is the damn temps:

Max temps within the 17 hours and ongoing lifespan:
Core #0 - 66c
Core #1 - 74c
Core #2 - 76c
Core #3 - 75c

As you can see, the core #0 has always been the coolest core - 8-10C difference compared to the other cores. This may mean that the IHS on my CPU or Heatsink is either convex or concave. That must be it, and I don't think there's anything wrong with my TIM.

So, I guess after 24 hours of stress testing, I'll open the case and check if the IHS of the CPU/Heatsink are flat.

Too bad I don't have any sandpaper or whatever for lapping. Actually, I don't feel like lapping since it can void warrenty? I really dunno. What if my CPU goes defective in the future and I cannot return it because the warrenty's void? Wait a second, doesn't overclocking already void the warrenty too?

Looks like I'm stable from Prime95's small FFT.

Now running IBT at max setting with 8 threads. What I find interesting is that the max temps now barely hit 70c (mind you, I've been running IBT for 1 hour now). Many people say that IBT outputs more heat than Prime95, lol...

Yeah, I think I'm confident that I got a stable OC. Whew....

Back