Overclocking gone wrong?

Alrght will try those settings now. the games I play is just World of warcraft and Counterstrike Source. but I'll play CS:S for a good 30 mins let orthos run for 5 - 10 mins and give you more feedback. Hopefully it will even boot at 8x385

OK something is not right!

I set it to 8x385 upped the MCH to +.1 like you said and it wouldn't boot. ok no prob

I put it to 8x375 wroked fine booted up. Now this is where it gets weird I ran orthos along with coretemp and it read it as:

421.88x8.0 ran Orthos for 5 mins and got 21C There is no way it can be running at 3375Mhz lol so what do you think happened?

CoreTemp, Orthos, and My computer all say 3375Mhz. So...Help! :p

Edit: I also rebooted checked the bios it's at 375x8 and it still reads it as 421.88x8.0

OK something is not right!

I set it to 8x385 upped the MCH to +.1 like you said and it wouldn't boot. ok no prob

I put it to 8x375 wroked fine booted up. Now this is where it gets weird I ran orthos along with coretemp and it read it as:

421.88x8.0 ran Orthos for 5 mins and got 21C There is no way it can be running at 3375Mhz lol so what do you think happened?

CoreTemp, Orthos, and My computer all say 3375Mhz. So...Help! :p

Edit: I also rebooted checked the bios it's at 375x8 and it still reads it as 421.88x8.0

Odd but never trust software, some bug, its probally trying to figure out the frequency based on the default mulitplier of 9x and is a little nuts. Some of the power saving stuff like EIST and TM2 can confuse software as well. Try cpu-z that is what I trust for reading frequencies. Do not be susprised if you see your mulitplier drop and frequiences too, its the power saving stuff and will not hurt a thing, when you fire up a game etc. it will switch back to the full speed you set in the bios.

If you set it in the bios then thats what it is. No worries. Sit back and enjoy the machne a bit.

Ah ok it's at 3.0ghz I should of checked that but I forgot about that program :p. Well I've been playing for a good half hour and used Orthos for 5 mins. Is there anything else I could do to the ram and Cpu?

I would bump the core voltage up to 1.400 volts to 1.425 volts and continue overclocking. The OEM cooler is fine here, just make sure you maintain some temperature head room to TjMax while running Orthos. You should be able to get a few more MHz out of it with more voltage.

With the extra CPU voltage you should be able to run it at 8 x 400 and set the memory multi to 2 so your memory is running at its default of DDR2-800. The Intel 965 chipset that your motherboard uses has great memory bandwidth performance at this setting.

Here's what I read on NewEgg about your memory:

"and it will not overclock worth sh@t"

I had some crappy memory like that once and it topped out at about DDR2-830 when using 2.15 volts. You'll likely lose stability if you try to go much past 400 MHz as reported by CPUz. You might be able to run it at CL4-4-4-12 with some extra voltage but save that step for last after you've maxed out your CPU overclock.

I would bump the core voltage up to 1.400 volts to 1.425 volts and continue overclocking. The OEM cooler is fine here, just make sure you maintain some temperature head room to TjMax while running Orthos. You should be able to get a few more MHz out of it with more voltage.

With the extra CPU voltage you should be able to run it at 8 x 400 and set the memory multi to 2 so your memory is running at its default of DDR2-800. The Intel 965 chipset that your motherboard uses has great memory bandwidth performance at this setting.

Here's what I read on NewEgg about your memory:

"and it will not overclock worth sh@t"

I had some crappy memory like that once and it topped out at about DDR2-830 when using 2.15 volts. You'll likely lose stability if you try to go much past 400 MHz as reported by CPUz. You might be able to run it at CL4-4-4-12 with some extra voltage but save that step for last after you've maxed out your CPU overclock.

I dunno if you missed a few posts. But the multi is already on 2. But I will try and up the volts a little and see how much further I could go.

I dunno if you missed a few posts. But the multi is already on 2. But I will try and up the volts a little and see how much further I could go.

Just an odd note, since I have the same CPU and mobo as you...

I could not get it to boot at 9 x 333 x 2.66. DDR2-800 even. I also maxed at 9 x 370 at 1.375 vcore, though it crashes Orthos after 1 min+, though I can game for hours and DL for days (literally, I am using torrents which are very slow for me).

It's a trial and error, as Bill and UW say.

Just my 2 cents and experience. And I'm not done trying yet. I need to increase vcore more and try memory timing juggling still. But the increase in performance going from 1.8 to 3+ is awesome for the money :)

If you are only stable in Orthos for 1 minute then that's a good sign that it needs a small bump in cpu voltage. Give it a bump and see if it lasts longer.

JStudrawa: A reading of 1.40 volts while under load running Orthos is usually what you need to be 100% stable at that MHz level. That might take a bios setting of 1.45 volts. Set the bios to whatever it needs to be stable. Use SpeedFan 4.32 or Everest to correctly report core voltage. CPUz gets a little flaky sometimes when the voltage gets up around there.

A little bit of extra voltage for the northbridge can also be a good thing ( +0.2 to +0.3 ). I'm not sure what they call that on the DS3 but I think it's MCH voltage. Bill will know. A small fan strapped to the northbridge isn't such a bad idea when testing stability if you hit a wall. Gigabyte cheaped out on an otherwise great overclocking board.

Well is it better to be on 8x or 9x? If I'm able to get 333 9.0 and 2.6mem divide is that better than 385 8x with 2.0mem divider?

Ok well I couldn't get it to 400 the furthest I could go was 395. Currently the volt is at 1.4v

At 400 it wouldn't boot so I bumped it as far as 1.45 and it wouldn't let the last 5 work lol.

At this current setting when I run Orthos it gets to 15 to Tjunction remaining.

hmm k, I dont recommend going over 1.4 long term. sounds like you are pretty much there.

Well is it better to be on 8x or 9x? If I'm able to get 333 9.0 and 2.6mem divide is that better than 385 8x with 2.0mem divider?

If you are stable with the 333x9 and 2.6 (memory running at 865MHz) that is much better. I didnt think your memory would do that well. That is excellent !!! Nice OC on cpu and nice OC on memory. I would use the heck out of it now, any freezes or lockups just back off the FSB 2 MHz and start testing/playing again.

To do much more you are going to have to get a fan on the MCH/northbridge and a better cooler, that is a great OC on stock parts.

Ok changed everything. It's at 9x333 at 2.5mem divider and that is without any volt increases with anything. I mean all the volts are set to defaults.

When I mentioned 9x333 with 2.66 mem divider I haven't tried that yet.

Going to Run orthos in a bit to see what the temps are at.

Edit: Why is it easier, cooler, and less volt change when using 9x333 with 2.5mem divide compared to 8x395, 2.0mem divide .1v to MCH 3.4vcore?

And it's better....

Update: It's at 9x333 at 2.66mem divide. Seems to be working fine on default volts.

The DS3 automatically adds extra voltage when set to default. I prefer to set the CPU voltage manually because you know exactly what you're getting. My Asus P5B Deluxe adds way too much extra core voltage at the AUTO setting so remember to check it when running Orthos to make sure it's OK. What you set the core voltage to in the bios is not what you will end up with when running Orthos.

The goal is to run stable with as little voltage as possible while maintaining stability. This keeps the heat down. It's easier to start with too much voltage and work your way back down than to start with not enough and run into a wall or no boot condition.

You'll need to run some benchmarks to see what combination of MHz and dividers and memory timings work best for you. Even something simple like SuperPi mod is a good, quick tool to compare settings with. If you are a gamer then try running 3DMark0x to check for stability.

Well l ment I had it set to manual but all volts were put to Norm - 0 and the Vcore at 1.3 or what ever its default was at.

But after getting 333x9 with 2.66Mem Divide; I ran orthose and it lasted 19 secs before the computer locked up. So I increased the Vcore to 1.35 and the DDR2 to .2v and Orthos works through 5 mins. with 20c to Tjunc at full load

Edit: I feal as if I'm able to push it more with the stock cooling but I won't unless you guys think it would be fine?

Edit2: Now with this succesful overclock what exactly will I notice faster on the computer?

I ran 3dmark06 and I got 3263 with default in 3dmark. I ranked 8 out of 8 compared to others with almsot same setup or worse and have 5000+ scores whats up with that?

Now with this succesful overclock what exactly will I notice faster on the computer?

That's the only bad part. If you put a bag over my head and switched my computer back and forth from 3000 MHz to 3600 MHz, I'd probably not be able to tell the difference! If you do a lot of video encoding it helps and it helps a little in gaming but for a lot of day to day use of your computer, you'll barely notice the difference. More for bragging rights. Your cheap computer is running about as fast as an ultra expensive X6800 so hopefully you feel good about all that free performance you just got.

I think 15C to Tjunc while running Orthos is a good upper limit. A better cooler will lower your core temps about 15C to 20C while running Orthos. When gaming with most single threaded games you will find that your temperatures are at least 15C less compared to running Orthos so no worries. Get it stable and enjoy your new computer.

Some of the stats at the FutureMark site don't represent the real world. There are a lot of cheaters out there and the comparisons to your system may not be fair comparisons.

Here's a good list of 3DMark06 scores:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/13/

An 8600 GT is not a power house video card these days. What OS are you running. Vista is brutal for gaming.

Make sure you are running at 1024x768 or whatever the default for 3DMark is.

Edit: You can always start to overclock your video card now. :D The legit review should help you with that.

Some of the stats at the FutureMark site don't represent the real world. There are a lot of cheaters out there and the comparisons to your system may not be fair comparisons.

Here's a good list of 3DMark06 scores:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/13/

An 8600 GT is not a power house video card these days. What OS are you running. Vista is brutal for gaming.

I'm using Windows Xp. As soon as Bioshock and Crysis comes out that's when I'll be doing some hardcore gaming and switch to Vista. Well I'll have dual boot xp/vista. Anyways I still ahven't touched the timings on the Ram it's still 5-5-5-15 should I mess with that any?

It's a good time to start running some benchmarks so you can make some comparisons. If you've reached a stable CPU overclock that you're happy with then you can try CL4-4-4-12 memory timings. The real world performance increase will be slight and it's definitely not worth it if you lose stability.

Do some longer Orthos stability testing and you can do a few minor tweaks but it sounds like you are doing very well with what you've done so far. It's not really worth spending the next 6 months, like I do, to get that last 5% of performance out of a system!

It's a good time to start running some benchmarks so you can make some comparisons. If you've reached a stable CPU overclock that you're happy with then you can try CL4-4-4-12 memory timings. The real world performance increase will be slight and it's definitely not worth it if you lose stability.

Do some longer Orthos stability testing and you can do a few minor tweaks but it sounds like you are doing very well with what you've done so far. It's not really worth spending the next 6 months, like I do, to get that last 5% of performance out of a system!

A new video card will do wonders too. Just adding a 8800gts will bring you over 10k in 3d Marks (default settings). A GTX should bring you over 11k.

You may not notice a 3.0 to 3.6 increase, but run Fraps and enjoy the HUGE difference in stock e4300 vs your OC.

Then of course there are rounded cables to increase airflow, an Antec Nine Hundred case for more airflow, a 22" monitor for more air fl... uhm.... :)

Like he said, you've got performance in line with a $500+ CPU. Plus, you can support Quad cores on that board if you want to get one later.

How's your sound? Someone's got a deal on the X-fi XtremeGamer for like $60 AR, if you're using onboard sound and want to upgrade.

Upgrading never stops :)

Hmm I've never really seen the reason to buy a sound card is there really much a difference compared to the onboard hi def it already has? If for some reason it increases 1 - 5 fps no thanks :p.

Hmm I've never really seen the reason to buy a sound card is there really much a difference compared to the onboard hi def it already has? If for some reason it increases 1 - 5 fps no thanks :p.

Going from the onboard sound to the Xfi was a big increase in sound quality, in my opinion. I didn't think it would be, but it sounds even better now.

I don't know if I got any FPS out of it, just better sound quality with the Crystalizer and I think just better processing of sound.

Totally subjective though.

Back