Overclocking e6850: ram anf fsb question

SoAndSo

[H]ard|Gawd
ive had an itch i need to scratch for a while, i want to crank my e6850 to 4ghz. I am cooling with an arctic cooling freezer pro 7, using a gigabyte P35-DS3R mobo, and 2x1gb sticks of cheap adata ddr2 (dual channel)
Now, my cpus max multi is 9, so off the top of my head 445 x 9 would be the best way to go, but this will change my ram ratio from 1:1 to something else (how do i calculate what the ratio will now be?), pretty much as i can tell there is no way for me to hit 4ghz without changing my fsb:ram ratio from 1:1.
How important is a 1:1 ratio? will i notice a difference in any aspect of my computing if i change it from 1:1 to something else (gaming, watching media, general browsing etc)
I am a bit wary of OCing my ram as a) im not sure how, and b) i have cheap ass ram and im not sure how well it will OC and im too broke to be able to afford new ram if it goes kaput.

im currently at 3.6ghz (its all in the screenshot) and tbh, its awesome. But i want to be [H]ard and crank that sucka to 4ghz. Would 4ghz make much of a difference over 3.6ghz?

35idlkz.jpg

i want to crank my e6850 to 4ghz. I am cooling with an arctic cooling freezer pro 7
I can tell you right away that you won't have a great chance of hitting your goal, but why not give it a shot anyway ;).
Now, my cpus max multi is 9, so off the top of my head 445 x 9 would be the best way to go, but this will change my ram ratio from 1:1 to something else (how do i calculate what the ratio will now be?)
Your FSB doesn't affect your FSB:RAM ratio. If you leave it set to 1:1, it'll stay at 1:1. Since you're trying for a high FSB, I would recommend that you keep the RAM as low as possible so that won't limit your overclock, which means that you should run at 1:1.
im currently at 3.6ghz (its all in the screenshot) and tbh, its awesome. But i want to be [H]ard and crank that sucka to 4ghz. Would 4ghz make much of a difference over 3.6ghz?
Probably not that much of a difference, but it's still fun ;).

hopefully you have some decent ddr2 800.. 4ghz would be roughly 445x9 4005mhz so you would be at 445x2= 890mhz..

if ya hit 4ghz make sure you post screens.. i want to see this.. i didnt think the conroe's could even hit 4ghz stable.. but then again i havent payed much attention to the old c2d's..

ya...u might need to get to new ram and def a new HSF if you want 4.0 with any kind of stability but good luck, post some screens of your progress!!

Back