Overclocking - component configuration?

1_rick

Supreme [H]ardness
Last year, I built a system with a Kraken X52 cooling a Ryzen 1600X in a Corsair Obsidian 250D case, but the case was a few millimeters too narrow to fit the stock fans, so I got a couple of 15mm Prolimatech static pressure fans, based on recommendations from here.

I just upgraded to a Corsair Crystal 280X for a bit of extra room, because the system always seemed to run a bit hot, and why not add a bit of unicorn vomit?

The case came with a pair of Corsair LL120s in the front. I bought a couple of extra LL120s to be top-mounted, and hung the radiator off them in a pull configuration. I believe everything is hooked up more or less properly. Because my motherboard is fan header-limited, I put all four fans on the Kraken. But when I ran a small FFT Prime95, the heat slowly but steadily rose, and after about 3 minutes, the Tdie hit 73.3C and the computer froze.

The CPU is set up using P-state overclocking to run at 3.9GHz and otherwise seems to run OK. After rebooting, I tried an impromptu "stress" test of running Minecraft on peaceful mode for about a half hour. Tdie stabilized pretty quickly at around 48C. Other games I play (at the moment, mainly Guild Wars 2 and Diablo 3) seem to run fine and at about the same temp, so the system is essentially real-world stable, although I guess if I do any video transcoding I could run into issues.

Anyone have some ideas on things I can look at to try to be able to keep the system from crashing during a stress test? If possible I'd like to OC the system a bit more, I just haven't spent much time on it yet. It does seem to run pretty well at 3.9GHz (it's been a while since I looked but I think I'm getting by with only 1.35V at that speed, so I'm hoping I can get to 4 or maybe 4.05GHz).

I picked a pull configuration on the radiator as a few comparison tests I've watched on YT generally seemed to only show a difference of a degree or so between push and pull configurations, and pull lets me see the LEDs on the case top. Admittedly the fans are AF, not SP, but I don't know how much practical difference that will make. I still have the Prolimatech SP fans and there's room to put one of them back as a pusher on the radiator.

Based on a friend's advice, I moved the radiator to the front and had the pump control just those two fans, leaving the top fans to the motherboard. The front fans were spinning at full speed, so fairly loud (but at least it was a moving air noise, not a whine/hum. The good news is that a 90-minute Prime95 Small FFT left Tdie never going over 60.6C.

Annoyingly, the motherboard only has 1 USB2 header, and I had a light controller plugged (Corsair Node Lighting Pro). I just rebooted and swapped in the Kraken's USB instead, and now the fans are running at a more reasonable speed during normal usage. I'll have to rerun the stress test tomorrow.

Back