Overclocking blues...

I recently posted the TEC cooling system i was thinking of buying for my computer, but have run into a small problem...
Im running a P4 2.6C proccessor on an MSI motherboard.
When overclocking the proccessor in the bios, i can get the proccessor to run stable to 2.925ghz (225 FSB x 13 multiplyer) on jsut the stock cooling without touching the ram latencies or any voltages.
I can also get it to boot at 3.055ghz (235FSB) with the same scenario as stated above. However, it crashes under any load (such as 3dmark05 :( )
3.12ghz will boot on occassion (a VERY rare occasion) but crash at login screen.
After trying to increase Vcore from the original 1.525 in the smallest increments possible up to 1.7, the ram up to 2.65 from 2.25 (i think its from 2.25, either that or 2.5...), and maxing out the ram latencies as instructed by a friend, it still cant get it to boot at speeds faster than 3.055. Cooling is not the issue as at any of these settings the temp never gets past the low 50 Celcius (idling, i know load would be much hotter, hence buying the TEC cooler if that is nessicary)

Anything im doing wrong or do i just have a crappy chip? i went to overclockers.com and checked out my proccessor, there are alot of people running at 3.25ghz on the stock cooling and i cant even get close to that obviously :( any input would be awesome, thanks!

could be ur mobo...yeah, the "C" (northwood) have been legendary overclockers....well, how are ur temps? i know u want to try for stock, but still...maybe look into some other cooling!

alex

First off, I think 50c idle is way too hot for a Northwood, especially at idle. Second, what else you do have in that computer? Got any bling goin' on in there?

Reason I ask, I have a 2.8c on the MSI 875P Neo and couldn't get it over 3.25Ghz stable until I took out my CCFLs. All of a sudden I can run Ultra-Turbo @ 3.35 (haven't hit the way yet) totally stable.

It only took me a year to figure out why my Corsair PC4000 XMS Pro sticks weren't living up to expectations. :rolleyes:

Other things in the system are 2 HDs, 2 cd roms, floppy, x800 pro, and a SB audigy plat w/ live drive. No bling :-/ And i know that those temps are too high, but i jsut wanted to see if there would be any point in cooling it bc if it cant get past 3.055 then im not gonna plop 700 down on my TEC cooling :-/
btw, what are CCFLs? im sure i know but jsut dont know the abreviation :confused:
Also, what do the different modes that MSI provide do for me? such as the Ultra-Turbo you mentioned, along witht the whole private, general, etc etc? i have the MSI MS-6728 (865PE Neo 2), is this just not an OCing board?
Oh, and this is all curently powered by a 410 or 420 watt (i forget...to lazy to check...) Antec Truepower

anyway, guideance from the vast knowledge of this forum would be wonderful :) thanks again!

I tried messing around with my system, to no avail...over the 3.055 mark i cant even boot stablaly. i dont have a specific section for a dived, although it seems that the bios will allow you to run the ram at either auto or one of a few pre-determined mhz rates. i assume that by running my DDR3200 at 400mhz, while increase the fsb to something like 240, that it is the esentially the same thing as a divider? anyway, no luck...messed around with the ram latencies a lil more, tried increaseing some while decreasing others just to try. Also, those slow, fast, turbo, and ultra-turbo settings seem to upset my system. at fast it runs ok, at turbo it crashes on before bios beep, and on ultra turbo my system doesnt do anything...nothing seems to help my lack of overclockign ability. is it my motherboard or chip or both or am i just cursed? :rolleyes: :( Anyway, thats again for your help :)

I tried using the ram timings you mentioned above. the computer was able to boot and log into windows @ 3.12ghz but after sitting idle for a few minutes crashed. Is there some formula for finding the right timings?

Back