Overclocking Barton 2500+

ryanjg11

Gawd
I've successfully overclocked my Barton 2500+ to 2.18Ghz (3200+ speeds), Prime95 stable. I'm using an Abit NF7-S motherboard and Mushkin Level 2 PC3500 memory. Right now my timings are 2-2-2-6 (default detected by motherboard). Are these timings correct for this memory, or should I make them tighter? What divider is optimal for this setup? (I think right now it is at the motherboard default). From what I've heard this Mushkin memory overclocks great, and I want to get my money's worth.

Oh, and my temperature is 39 at idle, and about 47 at load. I'm using a Thermalright SLK-900A heatsink.

THX

1. Set your memory settings to "Expert" which will allow you to make changes to the various timing parameters of your RAM. Then, change the 6 to 11. There are numerous forums topics around the web about this. For whatever reason, 11-2-2-2 give the best bandwidth on NForce2 chipsets, despite the normal school of though that lower is faster. 11-2-2-2 is a good bit faster in Sandra and any other mem benches I've tried with my Barty2500 and NF7-S.

2. Drop your multiplier on your cpu by .5 and increase your fsb enough so that your overall cpu speed is the same as the 2.18 you prime stable at. Test for stability with new settings using Prime.

Lather, rinse, repeat until you find your top fsb. All memory is different. Good luck.

Originally posted by aug1516
Did you raise the voltage any and try to get higher then 2.18?

I have tried to up the FSB to about 216, which is what my memory is rated to handle. However, my computer locks up within a couple minutes, and cannot even pass one Prime95 test. I have upped the Vcore two steps up from default (I forget what it was exactly), but it appeared to have no positive effect. How high can I pump up the Vcore? I suppose as high as I want so long as my temps are reasonable...

Originally posted by Rich_Fray
2. Drop your multiplier on your cpu by .5 and increase your fsb enough so that your overall cpu speed is the same as the 2.18 you prime stable at. Test for stability with new settings using Prime.

Why should I drop the multiplier? How does this help? BTW, my Barton is unlocked.

Originally posted by phatnadz
Why should I drop the multiplier? How does this help? BTW, my Barton is unlocked.

dropping the multiplier allows you to raise the fsb higher.. a higher front side bus gives you more memory bandwith which makes your pc faster, even at the same clock speed

for example..
220x10 = 2200 MHz
200x11 = 2200 MHz
however, 220x10 is gonna give you better performance

you can increase the vcore quite a bit.. i had to give mine 1.95v to get it to run stable at 219x11.. so ya may have to go a little higher.. make sure you got good cooling though

I would not go any higher then 1.8-1.85v, depending on your cooling.

Back