• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Overclocking and gaming . . .

jnick

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
2,888
Does overclocking affect gaming? Since OCing boosts temps, would that make my system less stable when playing games? I was thinking about ocing my cpu but I keep thinking if I OC it will make my system less stable for gaming. Would this be true? I'm running on air, though do have a nonstock CPU cooler.

Any help is appreciated.
 
This is why you stability test after OCing and before playing any game. What affect does OCing have on gaming if the OC is stable? Well, in many cases it allows you to have better IQ, which to 99% of [H]'rs is worth any risks you take by OCing.
 
Yeah but to get better IQ, wouldn't you need to OC your VC . . ?
 
jnick said:
Yeah but to get better IQ, wouldn't you need to OC your VC . . ?

We OC video cards too. Hell I'd OC my sound card if I could. :D

Seriously, there is more to be gained by the video card. Still, I noticed a huge improvement when I upgraded my Opteron 246's to Opteron 254's. That's an 800MHz jump in processor clock speed. Made a HUGE difference in FEAR.

Some games bennefit more than others from higher clock speed CPU's. FEAR is extremely CPU dependant from the look of it. And the way they explained the engine to us during the beta testing (on the FEAR Beta Forum), it makes sense that CPU power would make a difference.
 
Thanks for the post Sir.Fragalot. However if I remember correctly, didn't the BFG 6800GT OC do crappy when overclocked?
 
Just an FYI (your results may vary)... I couldn't O/C my vid card much before BF2 started crashing. I've checked my temps and they're spot-on cool so I know it's not the heat causing the issues. Right now I've got my EVGA 7800GT running @ 455/1090 (445/1070 stock) and I can't go any higher without BF2 crashing. I can run other apps/games at higher speeds, however. BF2 is picky. :( Also, I currently don't have my CPU or RAM overclocked.
 
jnick said:
Thanks for the post Sir.Fragalot. However if I remember correctly, didn't the BFG 6800GT OC do crappy when overclocked?

Sometimes, there were some people that reported worse performance when OC'ing their 6800GT's. I had that happen with my eVGA SLi setup, but a driver update corrected the issues I was having.
 
Back
Top