Overclocking AGP via FSB

cgrant26

2[H]4U
OK, since I don't have an Nforce2 board yet, when I OC my system by FSB around 185mhz I start getting artifacts on 3DMark. I have tried dropping the memory/core clocks on my card, but they keep happening. I have also tried switching to 2X AGP with the same results. At 285mhz, despite the artifacts, Prime95 will still run stable. How can I get past this hurdle? The system can obviously go higher, but the AGP is holding me back. :confused:

MSI KT3 Ultra2
XP2500+ Barton
512mb GEIL Ultra Platinum PC3500
Radeon 9800 Pro.

Unless your board has a way to adjust the FSB - AGP ratio in the bios I think you're probably screwed in terms of software solutions. I don't know of any programs that can change your AGP clock.

As a more straightforward solution, I would try cooling your northbridge down a bit more. Just put a big fan over it and see if it is worth installing some more permanent cooling there.

I can adjust AGP voltage, but that didn't do anything either. I'm thinking it's the AGP controller. No matter what teh card is set at, it always starts happening around 185mhz FSB. Damn these VIA boards.
*starts counting change in change jar for NF7-S*
Thanks for the replys

Originally posted by cgrant26
I can adjust AGP voltage, but that didn't do anything either. I'm thinking it's the AGP controller. No matter what teh card is set at, it always starts happening around 185mhz FSB. Damn these VIA boards.
*starts counting change in change jar for NF7-S*
Thanks for the replys

you could get DFI Infinity for $90 and it has more voltage options and is is know to hit 240+ on the fsb.

i had the infinity till i killed it and its a very good board

Back