Overclocking a Sempron 3100+, some questions

cackle

Limp Gawd
Based on the information presented at this X-bit labs article, I'm thinking about purchasing the following:

Sempron 3100+ OEM $100
Epox EP-8kda3+ $149

TOTAL: $250

I'll need a heatsink and fan. After looking at reviews, I settled upon either the:
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 (the one they used in the X-bit labs article) or the ThermalRight XP-120

The first question is will the XP-120 fit on the Epox board I have chosen? No Epox motherboards were listed in the compatibility table that ThermalRight provides.
My second question is does anyone have any other recommendations of motherboards and/or heatsinks for overclocking the Sempron?
Lastly, does anyone, after having read the X-bit labs article, still think I should hold out for a 939 pin solution? Perhaps an OC'd A64 3000+.

Thanks.

its totally not worth it. buy a cheaper mobo and a A64 instead. sempron is low end, but with your budget, you can do much better

All right, one vote against. Did you read the article, though? The Sempron OC'd beats out the Athlon 64 of similar speed.

Interesting article. I'm surprised, the sempron at 2.52 performed pretty much how one would expect a 2.52ghz Newcastle athlon64 to perform. The price is right, $100 is not bad at all.

Why does the 8KDA3+ nForce3 250gb socket 754 cost $150? I just bought the 9NDA3+ nForce3 Ultra socket 939 for $130 to go with a 90nm 3200+.

$250 would get you a 3000+ and the Chaintech VNF3, but after reading that article, I can't decide which would be better. So I say give it a go, and let us know how it turns out!

hell get a 64 2800 from gameve and a dfi ut 250 gb from newegg and it will be much better than that

Did you read the article? It basically says that in fact, a A64 2800+ is not much better than it, in fact <5% in most cases.

If u game, get an a64, if u don't, get the sempron. Easy as that

I'm going to be going the same route, Sempron 3100+ but on a Chaintech VNF3-250 w/1gb pc3200 Crucial. I don't see the point in going 939 at this point, the cost is absurd for a technology that hasn't even been adopted by software writers yet, and I'll still have the option to go forward into 64-bit in the future. It was a choice between a 35W 2400+ XP-M or a 3100+ Sempron, $15 diff, and I woulda needed a new mobo anyway(apparently bad fans CAN kill a mobo's fan leaders... :eek: ) I'll post here and in the other A64 Sempron thread on what it can take...

Cool, I'm eager to hear how that mobo OC's. It'll be next week before I order anything.

Parts will be coming in within the next 3 days, just around when my last midterm ends :D So I'll post by the weekend, I hope...

Rewards for failed midterms are nice...

All right I did some more searching and found the following:

A64 3000+ 90nm 939 pins: $180

Abit AV8: $111

So for approx $290 I could be getting a better system that would probably overclock just about as much AND it is 939 pins. My only wonder is if the AV8 is as good a mobo for OC'ing. We'll have to see. I'm getting money on Friday to spend on this so I'll update then.

Back