• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking a q6600....

Goose

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 21, 2006
Messages
311
Hey,

I'd like to safely OC a Q6600. I have a EP45 UD3R Gigabyte mobo.

What exactly needs to be changed? Changing the CPU Host Clock Control from disabled to enabled, I'm able to change the CPU Host Frequency up higher from 266x9/stock.

Do I need to increase the Vcore or something? The Vcore is currently at 1.32500v and set to Auto.

I have a CM GeminII S for a cpu cooler... and just looking to hit 2.8 maybe 3.0ghz.

Need to ask a/this stupid question before I screw something up. :)

thanks.
 
Last edited:
333 fsb = 2997 mhz.

unless you somehow got the worst chip ever manufactured in the history of ever, you can probably do it perfectly fine at stock volts.

not that it's good practice to do so, but I just jumped mine straight to 3ghz when I got it, lower volts than stock. it has been running fine since day 1.
 
333 fsb = 2997 mhz.

you can probably do it perfectly fine at stock volts.

This is primarily what I want to know. Is is ok to keep the stock volt above and oc to 2.8 to 3 ghz.
 
GTL's are your friend. Thats all. :eek:

?
?
?

I'm certainly not embarrassed by asking these questions If that's what your saying. [H]ardforum or not, not everyone here knows how to do these things. That is what Questions are for.
 
[H]ardforum or not, not everyone here knows how to do these things. That is what Questions are for.
That's what the guide I linked is for. So you can read it and learn the answers to any questions you might have, so you don't need to ask them in the first place.
 
Messing with the GTL's is when overclocking isnt fun anymore and becomes rather complicated. I don't consider GTL's my friends, heh, but what methodology do you use when adjusting them?
 
Seeing your board is a Gigabyte , this guide will probably help you a lot. It did for me.

Its pretty old but most of the stuff should apply to your P45 board.
 
GTL's will allow you the max overclock of that chip. Working with mine got my Q6600 from a stable 3.5 ghz on air to a stable 3.7+ ghz on air. It isn't that hard.
 
Back
Top