• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

overclocking a dell cpu?

zachattack

n00b
Joined
Jul 29, 2005
Messages
18
hey, new here but i was wondering if theres a way to overclock hardware on dell computers, since there isnt an option in the bios, ect

zach
 
it looks like dell mobos are locked to the front side bus that is stock for the chip. so it looks like you're stuck with stock everything.
 
I think that the Dell's hardware is proprietary, even the BIOS too, so you can't modify any CPU settings.
 
Ya, I've tried doing this too, but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to go....

Dell doesn't want anyone changing something and destroying their computer and then getting a new computer through Dell's already very loose return policy.
 
for the 500th time. big OEM systems like Gateway & Dell use motherboards & BIOS's that do not allow any overclocking.

exceptions below:

Most of the time the only way to get them to overclock is a pin trick to fool the motherboard in to thinking its a faster chip. IE: a 533FSB chip up to an 800FSB, or 800FSB up to 1066FSB (if mobo supports it)

The exceptions to the rule are some of the newer Dell systems with unlocked Extreme Editions which you can manually set the multiplier higher for an overclock. Or some smaller OEM's use name brand board like Asus with the original BIOS which will let you overclock.

And on rare occasions you can track down a BIOS for the motherboard maker that might allow FSB adjustments. Like I had a Micron Millenia (I think GS) Anyway, the motherboard was a Tyan Trinity 400 so I downloaded the Tyan version of the BIOS which gave me a few different FSB options, but no voltage adjustments, so I was very limited in the overclock, and the Tyan BIOS was not as stable as the Micron's so I went back to the original Micron BIOS.

Another biggie.... when I went to put the system restore disc in, it would only work with the OEM Micron BIOS.
 
Is it possible to use a proggram to look at the BIOS, and make an adjustment to the FSB, then flash the new BIOS and try OC like that?
 
You might have some luck with a program like Clockgen.

Really though, you're probably better off just buying a different motherboard and using the rest of the dell components.
 
There are programs that will do it....SoftFSB is one....But its hit or miss if it will work on your board.......I have my SC420 OC'd using soft FSB..Yet my friends wont work....
 
Crosshairs said:
There are programs that will do it....SoftFSB is one....But its hit or miss if it will work on your board.......I have my SC420 OC'd using soft FSB..Yet my friends wont work....

Are you sure its actually changing it?! I've seen people play with softFSB or Clockgen, hit apply and it says the new FSB / clock speed. But when you actually test it with CPU-Z, or benchmark it and its not actually overclocked!
 
chrisf6969 said:
Are you sure its actually changing it?! I've seen people play with softFSB or Clockgen, hit apply and it says the new FSB / clock speed. But when you actually test it with CPU-Z, or benchmark it and its not actually overclocked!


Hmmm...Never really checked....Its my work computer and I did it just for kicks....Its a 2.53 Celeron D, was just bored one day......
I'll try and download CPUz and see what it says....
 
Dell allowed overclocking on the XPS with the 840 Extreme Edition processor, reviewed on ExtremeTech last year. It still didn't run as fast as a Velocity Micro in the review, but at least they permitted it in the BIOS. I have not seen this since until the announcement for that red XPS beast they showed at CES.
 
I overclocked my work optiplex gx260 just to see if it's possible.
I think i used cpufsb or something like that to do it.

I think the ram was holding me back cuz it was pc2700.
the cooling fan that usually only runs occassionally was running all the time though.
probably not recommended without some aftermarket stuff.
 
Use clockgen or cpufsb to increase the bus speed via the PLL, unless they get a locked Intel PLL you CAN overclock ANY Dell motherboard...

I've had mine overclocked before just to see if it could do it...

GX260 with a 2.4 overclocked to 2.6
 
the new Super XPS or whatever it's called with the Quad PCIe Vid cards comes overclocked, but it's gonna run $6000+

If you want to o/c, buy your own parts
 
Back
Top