Overclocking a 3000+

dante2010

n00b
Hi,

I'm looking at getting the following setup, and was wondering what my chances would be for a decent overclock on the processor.

AMD Athlon64 3000+ S939 Processor
Asus A8N-SLI-Premium NF4 Ultra S939 PCIe Mainboard w/GB Lan/SLI/SATA II/FW
Corsair DC ValueSelect 1GB (2x512) PC3200 CL2.5 DDR Memory
Antec NeoPower 480 Wattt Power Supply

I've read that the 3000+ can go up to 2.6ghz and above. The thing I'm not sure on is the RAM I've selected. Will it be of good enough quality to get a good overclock?

What HSF do you guys reccommend?

Can someone point me to a good tutorial on overclocking the 3000+? Like one that goes through steps of changing settings in the bios?

You dont need to OC the ram to OC The CPU with an A64. Just use a divider -- it doesnt come with a performance hit the way it would on a P4 or an Athlon XP, because the memory controller is integrated into the CPU die instead of on the NB.
It might not make 2.6Ghz though. The initial batches of venice chips OC'ed very well, but newer ones dont tend to hit such high clocks due to better speed binning.

For the HSF I would go with the XP-90 - it'll only run a couple degrees warmer than XP-90C or XP-120, and is noticeably cheaper.

dude search the forum .. there is a huge database to answer your question

malicious said:
dude search the forum .. there is a huge database to answer your question
the forums are here for people to help others, the data base is a guide line, OP said he looked around and saw venice getting high overclocks geez :rolleyes:

to OP: yeah you can overclock with that set up, how far is all dependent on your componets, and cooling, like other poster said, xp90 is a great hs......

just try, you might get 2.6, you might only get 2.2, but you will get a oc worth keeping for sure

soulsaver

soulsaver_8229 said:
the forums are here for people to help others, the data base is a guide line, OP said he looked around and saw venice getting high overclocks geez :rolleyes:

to OP: yeah you can overclock with that set up, how far is all dependent on your componets, and cooling, like other poster said, xp90 is a great hs......

just try, you might get 2.6, you might only get 2.2, but you will get a oc worth keeping for sure

soulsaver

your're right my bad... sigh...

i also like ocz ram .. especially the VX with a DFI Nforce4 Ultra mobo

www.anandtech.com has a good article on overclocking the 939s

hope that helps bro.

Overclocking is based off a lot og luck. We cannot just look at your setup and say that you will get xMHz.

As for the parts you have chosen. Do you really need a SLI motherboard? You could save some money there by going with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D or something. However, the Corsair VC is known to have compatibility issues with the DFI board. I would get some Crucial Value, which overclocks better anyway. I also would definitely get a different PSU. The fan choice and mounting is poor for the Neopower and there are much better ones for the amount that that one costs. I would suggest something like a Fortron AX500-A, unless you plan on going with SLI.

im running a neopower 480watt in my sig...powers everything perfectly fine and ive heard it can handle SLi...what video card wud u be getting if u do go SLi? it shud be able to handle 6600 gt no prob, 6800gt pretty stable but other than that i dont know...

The memory potentially will hold you back.

If you get PC3200 sticks you'll need to run them at 166 to get your FSB to anything decent.

Do your research and choose ram that you know will run O.K at relaxed timings well above it's stock speed. Also make sure your MB can provide the voltage the ram requires to overclock.

I chose Mushkin PC3200 sticks which I knew would operate O.K at 255Mhz at 2.85v.

This let's me run my Venice 3000+ @ (312 x 9) = 2808 @ 28C - 38C and stable.

The CPU you end up with and it's ceiling involves luck.

Back