Overclocking a 2.66 P4

HighwayAssassins

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
5,210
I just bought a new motherboard, an Abit IC7-G, and a new heat sink, a Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu which i hear is one of the best heat sinks on the market. I am trying to overclock my CPU now and i can overclock it to 3.1 GHz with out any stability issues, but as soon as i go to 3.2 GHz, the computer sometimes restarts its self randomly, but only when there is a load on the CPU. This is not due to heat, because at a full load the CPU is about 41 degrees. I have PC2100 DDR-RAM and i have to run it at 4:5 when i overclock. I also only have a 200 watt power supply. I was wondering if this is a power problem or a memory problem or anything else fixable....I would love to go even higher in my overclocking, maybe 3.6? Who knows...any suggestions?
 
go out and buy yourself a nice 465 enermax or vantec or something
200 isnt nearly enough, you need at least 350 and even that may not be enough

once u get a new psu, you should be sailing smooth, if not, bump up the voltage on the vcore
 
Originally posted by skinlab
go out and buy yourself a nice 465 enermax or vantec or something
200 isnt nearly enough, you need at least 350 and even that may not be enough

once u get a new psu, you should be sailing smooth, if not, bump up the voltage on the vcore

I agree, except for the wattage part. If it's a name brand power supply, 300 will be more than enough, unless you have tons of hard drives and stuff. Just make sure you stay with name brand (antec, fortron, enermax, etc.), and go 300 watts or higher.

I have a 2.66B in the corner, and an Abit IS7-E on the way, I'm dying to find out what it will do as I've never overclocked it before :p
 
It's quite possibly power, but, the memory will cause problems also, being PC2100. Go for 2700/3200, it should solve some stability issues also.
 
Back
Top