OverClocking 9800XT

Bio Hazord

Limp Gawd
I am new to the ATI scene and have been using coolbits for the past few years to overclock my geforce 4 and I was wondering what I should use to overclock my ATI 9800XT. One other thing does overclocking an ATI card void your warranty?

THANKS

wizzard has the program on here, or you could use powerstrip, from what i understand it does void your warrantee, but if you are careful it wont hurt the card any so that shouldnt matter, and ive heard of people returning cards that they have overclocked, just dont tell them that they overclocked it, which is wrong though

I wouldn't bother o/c'ng the 9800XT. I doubt the gains would be noticable. Also, the 9800XT is pretty much clocked as high as it can go from the factory so your o/c ceiling would probably be very low anyway.

Brian48 said:
I wouldn't bother o/c'ng the 9800XT. I doubt the gains would be noticable. Also, the 9800XT is pretty much clocked as high as it can go from the factory so your o/c ceiling would probably be very low anyway.
The 9600XT is based off the same core and it's clocked almost a 100Mhz higher than the 9800XT out of the box.

Also, even if the core doesn't overclock too well, he can still get some Ramsinks and drive the memory up a lot. Overclocking the memory alone can still deliver some noticeable performance boosts.

GVX said:
The 9600XT is based off the same core and it's clocked almost a 100Mhz higher than the 9800XT out of the box.
The 9600 is a 128-bit 4 pipe core. The 9800xt is a 256-bit 8 pipe core. I really don't think they're based on the same core.

Ebenol said:
The 9600 is a 128-bit 4 pipe core. The 9800xt is a 256-bit 8 pipe core. I really don't think they're based on the same core.
They're both R360.

No, the 9600 is RV360, a different core completely with only 4 pipes. It's also lower process and has low-k technology. That's what allows it to be so much higher in clock speed. They're both completely different cores.

lithium726 said:
HAHA

R360 is .15 micron

RV360, which is what teh 9600XT is, is .13 micron
Hmmm... Good point, I forgot about that one. Now that I think about it the 9600XT also has Low K which is what helps it reach the higher clock. Thanks for pointing that out.

Still doesn't mean that a 9800XT won't Overclock well, though.

GVX said:
Still doesn't mean that a 9800XT won't Overclock well, though.
that in itself doesnt, no, but the 9800XT's generally didnt clock well, theyre all pretty much already at their limit

Back