Overclocking 955 BE, Question

cobaltdog

Limp Gawd
decieded to try overclocking my 955 BE after seeing that everyone is OC these days. so i used the AMD Overdrive utility to get a good oc from 3.2 to 3.8 GHz stable, ran the stability test, the benchmark, ran the new 3dmark for about a hour and everything was good. seeing that everyone i see o/c this cpu gets around 4.0GHz so i started messing with the fsb (preveiously used the multiplier went from 16 to 19) pushed the HT ref. Clock (MHz) 222 and droped the my HT Multiplier to 9 and the system blue screened I reset and after fighting with windows to boot i tried again with the Ht Ref clock at 212, it wasnt stable though kept rebooting so i set everything back to normal and tried setting the bios to the the stable clock of 19 multiplier with everything else stock. Except i turned on the oc genie lite in the bios and after a long boot cycle it booted up at 3978. So now im at 18x multiplier, HT Multiplier is 10x, HT ref. Clock is at 221, and Memory VDDQ is at 1.668 CPU VDDC 1.440. After playing starcraft 2 for 2 hours ( the only game i have that has cause the system temps to raise noticabley) it was completely cool with the ambient temp im my house being 75 Farenheit and the cpu and gpu temp at 52 c. Should i keep this settings or is this to hight to be trying with a air cooled system? I’m using a aftermarket cooler on the cpu (coolermaster hyper 212 evo)

Before
overclockfsbtest.png

After
currentstableoverclock.jpg

3.9-4.1 is about average for the 955be,I would also run it through some stability tests not just some games,prime 95 as wells as intel burn test are good stability tests and well let you know pretty quick if your system is unstable.

shoot for a Vcore of under 1.5 with temps around 55C,If you can manage that then there is no reason that it would not be safe for a 24/7 OC on air,granted your motherboard can handle the extra voltage.

I say leave it at 3.8 not gonna see any performance diff after that anyway.you want 4-4.5? get faildozer or
pile-driver(the real bulldozer)

Well it died during the intel burnin test. Made it to test 6 on high the it shut down . Won't post anymore. Trying to trouble shoot it now but im pretty sure its the mobo. It died once a year ago just playing borderlands @ default spec.

Be careful on the voltage, I blew up my last MSI board after running at 1.5v. Temps were fine, but I guess the FETS couldn't take it even though they had heatsinks on em. I see you are a MSI 870-G45, not their most premium mobo so take it easy on the voltage.

Leave it ~3.6-3.8GHz max. Or if you want real performance improvement, get FX8350. ;)

I ran my 955 at 4.2ghz with 1.45v: it was stable but used WAAAY too much power and heated up my room like crazy. I run it at 3.8 now.

Back