Overclocking 860 core i7 questions

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
Hi. I've got a Gigabyte UD3 motherboard, an 860 2.8 ghz, and 4 gb of ddr3 2000 g. skill ram. I currently have it running at 3.7 ghz and the ram at 2000 mhz, but the multiplier is at 22x, the highest it can go. If I raise my blck speed it also raises my ram speed. I think I could get faster times on cpu, but my ram can't go any faster I think. Is there a way to enable more multipliers, or a way to keep the ram at 2000 mhz and increase the cpu only? Anyone else gotten similar results with their 860s?

The highest multiplyer it lets me use is 22x tho, my current is 22x. I'd like to make it 23x

I'm now at 173x22 for 3.8 ghz, and ram is running at 2080 mhz. I'm prolly just going to stick with this for now. It's stable and fast. I might be able to get a little more out of cpu, but no worries. What's a good cpu benchmark my friend and I could run easily to test out our systems. He has a core i5, with turbo boost enabled.

I have the Gigabyte P55 UD4P.. pretty much the same board. I have been running it at 4ghz since the first couple of days after I built my current setup. I lowered the multiplier to 20 and increased my bus speed to 200. Stable as a table. Not hard at all actually.. Components are in my signature..

4ghz-Everest.jpg

I find that when I put the processor at around 4 ghz it starts failing quickly at prime95, and when it runs stable, it begins to heat up to over 90 degrees. My ram is also faster this way I think so I'm happy.

I find that when I put the processor at around 4 ghz it starts failing quickly at prime95, and when it runs stable, it begins to heat up to over 90 degrees. My ram is also faster this way I think so I'm happy.

Hmmmm.. Well I have the same speed ram as you. My ram is the Gskill Ripjaws DDR3 2000. So, I am running my memory at its' rated spec: 1000mhz (effectively 2000). As for your temps, what kind of CPU cooler do you have? What kind of case are you using? Fans? A few things factor into the equation when looking at your overall CPU temps.

I've got same cooler in my sig, been meaning to change my sig. My ram is running at ddr 2080 mhz at the moment.

I have an i5 750 @ 4ghz if you would like to compare benches. Just let me know which ones and ill run them.

The highest multiplyer it lets me use is 22x tho, my current is 22x. I'd like to make it 23x

I'm NOT talking about the system multiplier. I'm talking about the System MEMORY multiplier. Take a closer look. You can reduce it in the BIOS.

I'm running @ 185x21 = 3558 but my RAM is @ 1850.

Ya, I could slow my memory down. When I go from 3.8 to 4.0 I got quick prime95 errors, and my heat goes up to over 90 degrees on the cores during prime95 loads. So it seems cold, stable, and my ram as fast as I can get it, so is trying to push the core to 4 really worth it? meh

Ya, I could slow my memory down. When I go from 3.8 to 4.0 I got quick prime95 errors, and my heat goes up to over 90 degrees on the cores during prime95 loads. So it seems cold, stable, and my ram as fast as I can get it, so is trying to push the core to 4 really worth it? meh

Oh, I see what you mean. I'm in the same boat. Stable (Prime and everything) @ 3885 with vCore 1,2875 vQPI 1,25 with temps in the 70s (TRUE). I don't want to push it higher with temps over 80s.

ya im running about same as you. trying it out now at 3916 ghz 178x22, ram is at 2136. I did only the cpu tests using 3dmark vantage, with default settings otherwise, and scored 49293 cpu score. Let me know how your's do on that test. The main issue I seem to have is typical, can't put voltage too high or heats up, cant put it too low or I get errors at maximum speeds, even then the ram and mobo don't seem to be very happy with ddr3 2200 speeds

My voltage is set to around 1.35, but for some reason cpuz tells me it's only running at 1.32. I turned off all the power options in the bios that seemed reasonable.

I'm now running at 4 ghz 200x20 and ram at 2000. its not as stable, and not as cool as 3.8 2100, but it's running my games, and it ran vantage again, 49470 score so it went up. I'll see how it goes. Had to bump up voltage a lot tho.

My voltage is set to around 1.35, but for some reason cpuz tells me it's only running at 1.32. I turned off all the power options in the bios that seemed reasonable.

You're either talking about Vdroop or Voffset. Look at Graysky's OC guide for more info if you're interested.

What yoru voltage is in the BIOS wont always match up to your voltage CPUZ reports. I watch the CPUZ voltage and go off of that.

I'm at 1.36 voltage now, and it's pretty steady. Would yall be interested in running 3dmark vantage, cpu tests only, default settings, and posting cpu score with your pc stats?

hmm weird dunno why you got those results. I'm using 3dmark vantage, running cpu test 1-2, no gpu or feature test. default setting to performance. your score should be around 40-50k for cpu

I just reran the test and got 49312 cpu score. Try again and see if you get similar results

I just reran the test and got 49312 cpu score. Try again and see if you get similar results

Thats not your CPU.. thats your Physx giving you that score. Turn off Physx and run it again. I have an ATI card so I don't have the help of Physx pushing up my CPU score. Your video card was doing the work... not your CPU.

EDIT: If you would please run the full test also so we can get matched results. Not sure if running the CPU benches alone would give different results or not. Vantage is wierd sometimes.

We must be running different tests. I reran full test and got 49k cpu score again. Try and find a new benchmark, or ya give up?

Ok I ran all the tests and disabled phyx so my rig was gimped. Scored, 6260-GPU, and 24619-CPU.

Ok I ran all the tests and disabled phyx so my rig was gimped. Scored, 6260-GPU, and 24619-CPU.

Ok thats the correct score. Hyper Threading apparently helps a lot on the CPU test in Vantage. I played on an 860 last night that was running at 3.54ghz and it got 21K but when I ran the intel burnin test that I dont think supports HT my speeds scores wre 57 each test and his were 45. So without HT they seem to run almots identical. Makes me wonder if I should go pickup an 860 and sell my 750.

Well, yea, the only differences are the HT and slightly faster clock speed. If all cores are 100% maxxed and burning hard then the HT doesn't make much difference but for real world computing it's a little better. Kyle says it makes windows 7 feel snappier to him.

You should rerun the test on win7 with default settings, without turning down your monitor's normal usage settings.

Well, yea, the only differences are the HT and slightly faster clock speed. If all cores are 100% maxxed and burning hard then the HT doesn't make much difference but for real world computing it's a little better. Kyle says it makes windows 7 feel snappier to him.

Are you passing Prime and intel burn in test wtih that clock? I might pick up an 860 and sell my 750 on here at a good price for someone. I was worried I might not hit 4ghz with the 860. My 750 does it easily and passed an 8 hour run of prime and many intel burn in tests.

My system eventually overheats and fails on prime pretty quickly. For my game usage tho it's perfect. I load league of legends maps about 25% faster than other core i7s I've noticed.

My system eventually overheats and fails on prime pretty quickly. For my game usage tho it's perfect. I load league of legends maps about 25% faster than other core i7s I've noticed.

Your overclock will put you ahead of other i7's... you need a better cooler.

Ya If I wanted it stable at these speeds I'd need serious watercooling. I'm happy with it so far, windows7 and games, are like a hot knife through butter.

I just picked up an i7 860 and scored 24,602 on CPU @ 4ghz.. overall yeah it benches higher.. but the i5 750 feels just as fast at everything so far. I can hit 4.2ghz but takes more voltage then I like creating more heat. My system is built to be silent so I dont like running my fans fast.

i think the 860 turboclocked is a wonderful option. For the average user, turboclocking, will be the most silent, power efficient, and fast enough to be unnoticeably slower than an all out overclock.

So far ive passed Intel burn in test and LinX for 20 passes @ 1.352V. Now I have to pass an 8 hour run of Prime stressing the CPU and another 8 hour blend test. I will call it stable after that. So far so good... I am getting peak temps of 76C during LinX and IBT with HT on. Probably be cooler in other systems but my setup is built to run quiet.

So far ive passed Intel burn in test and LinX for 20 passes @ 1.352V. Now I have to pass an 8 hour run of Prime stressing the CPU and another 8 hour blend test. I will call it stable after that. So far so good... I am getting peak temps of 76C during LinX and IBT with HT on. Probably be cooler in other systems but my setup is built to run quiet.

Did you tweak any other voltage besides the core?

Did you tweak any other voltage besides the core?

yeah, VTT 1.25, Ram 1.651, Vcore is 1.352 under load but its lower when not under load. This is MSI's strange way of managing Vdroop. Disable C1E, EIST, Spread Spectrum, OC Stepping, and Intel C-state. Just passed my 2nd 8 hour run of Prime blend. She appears to be stable at these settings and peak temps were 77C which isn't to bad considering my case was built for silence and not cooling. Only one rear 120mm fan for exhaust part of it all.

Back