• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclocking 5000+ black edition

GooeyGus

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
5
Hi guys, this is my first post and I was hoping I could find some help here...

ANYWAY... I have the 5000+ black edition on a Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo. I also have the different bios which allows for cpu voltage control.

So right now the cpu is at 3ghz with a multiplyer of 15 (FSB = 200) on stock (1.35) voltage. Running the computer this way is rock solid. Ran prime95 for quite a while with no errors and only about 35c max temps.

Anyway, it seems i've hit a brick wall and cant get past this point. If i try for a multiplyer of 16 (3.2ghz) with the voltage at 1.4v (which is what i've read is usually the most stable) I cant even get the computer to get into bios. I have to clear the cmos just to get it to boot again. I was thinking that maybe for some reason the voltage wasn't actually changing, so I left the multi at 15 and put the volts at 1.375. Well, they did slightly change but its still a bit low. in cpu-z with the bios set at 1.35 it was always almost exactly 1.35. With it now set to 1.375, it only reads 1.36. Do you think this could be the problem? Maybe i should try 1.425 volts to power it to 3.2?

thanks in advance for the help!!

Jason
 
Well, I've managed to get it booted and stable at 3.2ghz, but it seems it needed more voltage than most. The bios is set to 1.45v and cpu-z is reading in at 1.440. Can anyone see any problem with this voltage, provided that the temperature stays where it should? Its just under .1v more than stock, but i'm fairly new to overclocking (but not to building!) and want to make sure i'm not going to melt something lol...
 
Hmmm... spoke too soon. It boots and runs at 3.2 but prime 95 comes up with errors after just a couple minutes. any tips to get it stable?
 
"Clearly you will not be doing any serious OC with this motherboard."

"Only GIGABYTE managed to do any overclocking, and that was only 5MHz FSB above standard bus speeds, so it does have that to gloat about if they want, but 5MHz FSB increase is really not going to result in a very big performance boost."

From a review at Tweaktown.

Does your new Bios give you anything more than voltage control? It doesn't even seem like they had OCing in mind when they made your board. I usually scope out an "enthusiast" board when I plan on OCing. There is more to an overclock than FSB and CPU voltage.

How are you cooling things? What are your temps at the increased voltage?

Sounds like you can add voltage until it's stable or it burns up.
 
I have a different bios than whats the on gigabyte site that pretty much allows me all the typical overclocking options. I'm not even messing with the FSB at this point because the black edition has the unlocked multiplier, so i've just been upping that steadily. The reason they couldn't go above 5mhz above standard was because the factory bios doesn't even have cpu vcore control. I have the Kingwin revolution cpu heat sink/fan. the temps at 3.2ghz with prime 95 running never went above around 36. I have 6 case fans, the thing sounds like a tornado but keeps things very cool.
 
alright... i got it to run prime95 for around an hour and a half at 3.2 ghz @ 1.456v (even though bios is set to 1.475...) with no errors. max temp was around 40c. not too bad!! My goal was 3.2ghz and the official speed is 3207.5.... lookin good. Idles at ~25c...

Not too bad for a $130 dual core :D
 
Back
Top