• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

overclocking 4870 (apps?)

SYN ACK

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
1,243
fresh win7 install - new system (havent followed overclocking in years).

have this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131140

confirmed with GPU-Z that core is running 770mhz and memory at 900.

what app do i use to overclock? is riva-tuner still the app of choice?

what should i push for on stock HSF - 800mhz core and what about memory? what are the standard hittable speeds on a stock hsf 4870?

thanks,
 
I just used the built-in OC utility. However, my card seems to always be unstable over stock settings so I just leave it be.
 
I have that same card, except it's the 1GB version, and it's very bad for overclocking.
I can't even OC the memories without getting crazy artifacting.
 
Last edited:
I use CCC to OC core and memory and also for manual fan contol. It works well. My card is a poor overclocker as well.
 
I use CCC to OC core and memory and also for manual fan contol. It works well. My card is a poor overclocker as well.

If you think your card is a poor overclocker... I can't even get past 915MHz on the RAM LOL
 
RAM overclocking is pretty much useless with 4870s. Running mine at 1000MHz hasn't made any perceptible difference to anything, so if you can't overclock yours too much, don't worry about it. As for the core, you should be able to easily hit 790MHz, which is the highest you can go in CCC.
 
My xfx can get to 800/1100 according to rivatuner and gpu-z, so I'm a bit surprised to read you guys saying that o erclocking memory has been an issue. It us a brand new one though.

I'm amazed that a $140 card can max out crysis wh at 1680 w no aa. My i7 is barely breaking a sweat in game.
 
4870 can do 850/1100 through with adding a bit of voltage, but on stock, NO!! it does not really oc a crap :S
 
Back
Top