Overclocking 4770k Results

My asus board ( Asus Hero) automatically overclock the chip up to 1.35V if I choose the 4.6ghz overclock preset. Im not sure whether its safe to oc the chip to that value or not.

if you let a motherboard or software to decide on voltages, they typically overestimate

what are considered safe voltages is dependent on the user on their cooling solution

Im using H110 atm, all temperatures are below 80 under aida64 stress test for both CPU and ram, the test lasted for almost 13 hours @ 4.7 Ghz 1.35-1.37 v, also my ring/cache frequency is 44 Ghz.. Im not sure whether my chip is good or not, please share your experience with haswell.
Thank you.

.. I did benchmarks comparing 4.2 to 4.6 and honestly don't think there is anything there that is tangible for gaming or mainstream computer usage... its nice to say and know you got your chip sitting at 4.8ghz and your benchmarks are sky high, but unless you are doing crazy CPU stuff for work, ...
-Nick

Nick,
As a previous poster pointed out there are a few games out there. The one i play that comes to mind is Planetside 2. I'm running an i5 760. Base clock is 2.8 ghz. My video card is a 660 Ti (Galaxy). In large battles my FPS would dip down to 17 fps. At the warpgate my FPS would be around 40-60 fps (depending on where i looked).

When I Oc'd my processor from 2.8 ghz to 4ghz I noticed a HUGE difference.
Waprgate = 90-120 fps
In battles 40-70 fps - 40 being the large fights.

The argument could be had that the game is not optimized which is true but it still needs the CPU to perform.

Mine is looking decent so far at 4.3ghz. My knobs:

multiplier - 43x
cache min multipler - 39x
cache max multipler - 39x
vCore - 1.220v (highest reported value under load shows 1.248v)
vRing - 1.100v (reported value is 1.126v)
vRin - auto (reported in BIOS as 1.824v)

Everything else on auto, Z87-Pro, BIOS 1205. I'm using a Corsair H110. Temps under normal high load around under 70C. Temps under max p95 load high 70s, low 80s.

I finalized two profiles for my 4770k. I used the Intel Extreme Tuner stress test, which does not use AVX, since I'm using this system exclusively for gaming.

24/7 profile- 4.7GHz core @ 1.275v adaptive target voltage (automatically jumps to 1.391v for AVX workloads), 4.5GHz cache @ 1.275v adaptive target voltage, 1.8v VRin, SVID disabled, DDR at 2133.

Maxout profile- 4.8GHz core @ 1.34 manual voltage, 4.5GHz cache @ 1.3v adaptive target voltage, 1.8v VRin, SVID disabled, DDR at 2133.

Temps- using a Swiftech h220, peaks hit 80C during the stress test, but stay under 70C during games.

3dmark Physics score is 13735 at 4.8GHz.

Yeah, I pushed mine up to 1.368-1.370 to achieve stability @ 4.7Ghz, my ring speed is at 44ghz at default voltage parameters, and finally my ram speed is at 2400mhz, I dont want to exceed 1.4v as I heard rumors that it might cause degrading over time and Im not sure how does cache ( ring ) affect performance.
Regards.

For some of us Asus Z87 owners:

Z87-PLUS/PRO/A/C BIOS 1405
-Improve system stability.

My 4770k will literally not go above 4.5GHz(@ 1.3V). Even @ 1.4V it BSoDs at 4.6GHz. Interrupt not sent in time to coprocessor. Grrr.

Hey guys,

I have my new 4770k here and been trying around a bit to see where I can get (new to Intel after a long while with AMD). My stock VIN is 1.024, stock cache is 1.09v. So far, I get the feeling that my CPU might need more cache voltage for a 1:1 ratio compared to the core voltage...

Right now, I am at 46 core, 1.275v, 46 cache, 1.3v, 1333 RAM, 1.9v PIV (just testing).
I tried 46 1:1 before, with 1.275 vcore and 1.275vcache but not stable, but found stability at 1.3v for both...

- Is is ok to give the cache more volts than the core?
- Why is it not called Northbridge? ;) [even AIDA64] still does haha... ;)

I can boot at 4.7 and 4.8, but that wasn't stable, but then I have a long way to go before figuring out what all the settings do... :)

Hey guys,

I have my new 4770k here and been trying around a bit to see where I can get (new to Intel after a long while with AMD). My stock VIN is 1.024, stock cache is 1.09v. So far, I get the feeling that my CPU might need more cache voltage for a 1:1 ratio compared to the core voltage...

Right now, I am at 46 core, 1.275v, 46 cache, 1.3v, 1333 RAM, 1.9v PIV (just testing).
I tried 46 1:1 before, with 1.275 vcore and 1.275vcache but not stable, but found stability at 1.3v for both...

I can boot at 4.7 and 4.8, but that wasn't stable, but then I have a long way to go before figuring out what all the settings do... :)

The cache needs more voltage to be at the same speed as the core, in general. I'm at 1.275v on both core and cache, but my cache is running 200MHz less than the core.

And if you have any stability issues, I would start by dropping the cache to 45. In fact, you're better off running cache at 40x and memory at full speed; 1333 RAM is going to noticeably slow things down. And you shouldn't need 1.9VIN, 1.8 would probably be fine.

Mine does 4.4GHz at 1.29v. I guess it will need 1.35v for 4.5GHz. IMO not worth the extra heat.

Hey guys,

No, never give the cache more voltage than the core. At most it should equal the VCore.

Hi all,
Been reading like a maniac and just wanted to see if I'm good. I have a 4770K and Asus z87 Pro, 16GB 1866 Dram and H100 cooler running Win 7 64. I set the voltage to 1.20 and the cores to 42.

At load it got as high as 80 degrees but it hovered around 65 for the most part like when I play BF3.

My questions:
-I didn't pop it to 4.6 like some of the guides say. . .I guess that is to test your chip to see where your limit is. Worth doing?

-At my heat, do I stay put?

-Should I consider deliding? The temp drops have been significant.

-Last, anything else I should play with adjustment wise? I don't think my board has built in pre-sets.

Thanks in advance!

Some CPUs don't scale and won't even boot at 46 even if they can do 42 or 44 at low voltage. So setting it to 46 and 1.2Xv is a good way to tell if your chip is one of those finicky ones that doesn't like higher multipliers. The folks at hwbot even start off at 50 or higher at 1.2Xv and just do a quick SuperPi run to not waste time with duds. :D

But I recommend what you are doing and starting with 42 or 44 as most chips can do that and work your way up and see how well your chip scales. I think many people get disappointed when they find out their chip can't do that magical "46" at 1.2Xv (stable). Now that you know you're good at 42 at 1.2v, I would bump up to 44 and see how well your chip does at 1.2v and go from there.

As for a potential delid, I would not delid it until I knew how well the CPU scaled at higher multipliers (assuming you won't settle for a cruddy CPU).

I got mine to bench at 4.9 @ 1.5v

I've been running it at 4.8 @ 1.4 for the past couple days with a few hickups.

Does anyone have an overclocking template for Z87 Sabertooth?

Just seeing if there is something I am missing to make it more stable.

What program should I use for stability? I have been using Prime and its been passing everytime.

I got mine to bench at 4.9 @ 1.5v

I've been running it at 4.8 @ 1.4 for the past couple days with a few hickups.

Does anyone have an overclocking template for Z87 Sabertooth?

Just seeing if there is something I am missing to make it more stable.

What program should I use for stability? I have been using Prime and its been passing everytime.

1.5v? Didnt get fried? Lol

No, never give the cache more voltage than the core. At most it should equal the VCore.

myth

ive been running with ..12 on my vring since I got the chip (due to my ocd I HAD to have my core/uncore the same ratio lol)

nothing to see here folks.. just more misinformation spread due to playing it safe/fear/caution whatever.

1.5v? Didnt get fried? Lol

ive ran 1.6 trying to stabilize 4.9 no dice though. FWIW it was plenty for IBT/HyperPi/Aida but Prime Blend owned it while I slept every time. Screw that, I wont run higher than 1.45 for 24/7 use regardless of temp so I was stuck with 4.7

people with LN2 have had these over 1.7v already. with a custom loop and delid mine doesn't even see 95 at 1.6v past 1.5 it starts to scale bad w/ voltage but at 1.5 its barely breaks 80c with IBT.. obv prime is lower but still takes it out. I hate prime ftr

These are the settings I am using for 4.2ghz. I tried for 4.3ghz, but at 1.262v core and 1.19v input it still wasn't stable. This also has a SA voltage increase of .2v not pictured:
rewwzcV.png

Back