Overclocking 4400+

Draax

Supreme [H]ardness
I have just started to get into Overclocking my X2 4400+. I have over clocked before, albeit with an Athlon XP 2500+ to 3200+ speed.

Today I tried my first real overclock of the 4400+, although I am unsure of some things. I knocked down my HTT to 4x and my ram to 333 from 400. The Vcore is set at 1.5 and the FSB is at 240 multiplier at 11x. for a speed of 2.64Ghz

I wasn't able to test out stability all that much, although I was fooling around in the Supreme Commander demo and it was nice and solid, and allowed me to pretty much max settings at 1152x864, and even throw some AA on, which was a nice improvement.

Now my temps are at around 52C when I checked after playing Supcom for about 30 min. I realize I need to test the stability more, but my question is, is 52C an acceptable temp? What range of temperature range am I looking for?

if thats the stock aluminum cooler, those are decent temps, thats what my 4200+ would do at 2.4ghz at load. The X2's are usually safe up till the low 60's, i think 63c.

Get an aftermarket cooler though, can drop as much or over 10c.

Na, its not the stock cooler. Its the freakin huge ZALMAN CNPS7000B-CU. The systems in my Sig. Thanks for the temp info.

Ok then, i take back my statement, those are crappy temps then, where do you live, hope its somewhere really hot!!

My computer is in a basement, not much heat there but outside house temps are about 40c now, running @ 2.64 and 20+ hours in orthos i have a load temp of 43c, i had 42c when the temps where in the single digits outside last week.

I bought a cheap HSF and love it (can even see my review there):
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835128012

Edit, crap, forgot your on 1.5vcore, but still don't see why its soo hot, I run stock 1.35vcore on my x2 4200+

hey guys...you two can surely help me out. I'm new to overclocking, so I have a few guides to help me through the process. But the guide uses terms for a DFI Ultra-D, as you can see, i have the a8n-sli premium...where are the following in my BIOS:

1) FSB/HTT multiplier
2) HTT (mhz)
3) Memory divider

This is the guide i'm using:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

It's been my expierence that overclocked processors tend to see stability issues when the approach 60C. I would lower the multi to 10.5 and drop the vcore down a few notches. Your processor will thank you and you'll never even notice the 120Mhz.

Well I knocked the Vcore down to 1.4375, and am running at 2.68ghz.

My temps are around 35C-39C idle in windows. I am still having problems with temps skyrocketing to 60C+ when I run the max power / max heat sandra tests. I may try reseating my heatsink and applying a new coat of arctic silver to her, as it doesn't seem to be able to handle the heat. The system is very stable until the temps get above 60.

hey guys...you two can surely help me out. I'm new to overclocking, so I have a few guides to help me through the process. But the guide uses terms for a DFI Ultra-D, as you can see, i have the a8n-sli premium...where are the following in my BIOS:

1) FSB/HTT multiplier
2) HTT (mhz)
3) Memory divider

This is the guide i'm using:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

First find the limits of your ram, i found mine usually craps out after DDR440 speeds (220mhz). From there i did a lousy overclocking base on those factors, i still haven't found the limits of my x2 4200+, but first just jumped to 2.4 which is 220FSB, 5x HTT, 200 memory limit.

From there i decided for 2.6, so set up 240FSB, 4xHTT, 183mhz memory limit. No voltage bumps, and it has been very stable. Just make sure you use a divider to keep the memory close to its limit, and HTT at or around 1000mhz.

I tried just going for 2.8 this way (260fsb, 3xHTT, 166mhz memory limit) it would post and restart, i figure it needs more voltage or my limit is under 2.8ghz. Which i haven't one it is i haven't figured it out due to still making sure i'm stable at 2.6ghz.

Another reason i'm still at 2.6ghz is recently i'm gaming more and found my processor is bottlenecked by my 7800GT at 2.4ghz, i don't really gain more points in 3dmark06 other than cpumark which won't give anything more to the overall score.

I figure until i get a better vidcard that i'm good ATM.

Draax said:
Well I knocked the Vcore down to 1.4375, and am running at 2.68ghz.

My temps are around 35C-39C idle in windows. I am still having problems with temps skyrocketing to 60C+ when I run the max power / max heat sandra tests. I may try reseating my heatsink and applying a new coat of arctic silver to her, as it doesn't seem to be able to handle the heat. The system is very stable until the temps get above 60.

I stopped using using Artic Silver 5 awhile back, found more negatives than i liked, like how hard its to apply, how it dries up and when you try to remove the HSF it will pull the cpu out the socket no matter how hard you twist the HSF. I have been using the supplied white grease that comes with my HSF's, i used thermaltakes white grease that came with my thermaltake tower112 on the stock amd HSF and had decent temps with load around 54c, then once i got my G-power lite, used Gigabytes stuff white grease and have the temps i listed above.

I first say give it another go on the AS5 and see how it does and apply per directions, then if that doesn't it do it, try the white stuff, it might change what you think about AS5!

RogueTrip said:
I stopped using using Artic Silver 5 awhile back, found more negatives than i liked, like how hard its to apply, how it dries up and when you try to remove the HSF it will pull the cpu out the socket no matter how hard you twist the HSF. I have been using the supplied white grease that comes with my HSF's, i used thermaltakes white grease that came with my thermaltake tower112 on the stock amd HSF and had decent temps with load around 54c, then once i got my G-power lite, used Gigabytes stuff white grease and have the temps i listed above.

I first say give it another go on the AS5 and see how it does and apply per directions, then if that doesn't it do it, try the white stuff, it might change what you think about AS5!
When I first installed my HSF, I did use that white thermal grease that came with the packaged HSF for the processor. I found it was just like tartar sauce, there is just never enough. I didn't feel there was good layer on my core, so I used the Artic silver instead.

This max power consumption, max heat test in Sandra lite must be pretty brutal. As I can play the Supreme Commander demo, and the temps usually stay below 50. At the current settings the SupCom demo is very solid, so I don't think I will be lowering my settings, unless it starts becoming unstable.

When I first installed my HSF, I did use that white thermal grease that came with the packaged HSF for the processor. I found it was just like tartar sauce, there is just never enough. I didn't feel there was good layer on my core, so I used the Artic silver instead.

This max power consumption, max heat test in Sandra lite must be pretty brutal. As I can play the Supreme Commander demo, and the temps usually stay below 50. At the current settings the SupCom demo is very solid, so I don't think I will be lowering my settings, unless it starts becoming unstable.

I use a old creditcard, and clean it and both the cpu/HSF with rubbing alcohol, then apply a little amount to the cpu, and spread it out on the cpu in a thin amount. I did this with AS5 but as i said, earlier, that it is harder to apply and gains aren't really seen over the white stuff. I may try AS5 again for fun (used AS5 many times over a period of 4 years) and just find myself back at the white stuff.

If temps are acceptable for you, i'd say don't worry about it! @ 50c you shouldn't be having any problems.

IIf temps are acceptable for you, i'd say don't worry about it! @ 50c you shouldn't be having any problems.

I never have problems in any games, I only have problems in that max torture test from Sandra.

What is so hard about putting a small drop of AS5 in the center of the heat spreader and simply putting the heatsink over it? You do not need, nor are you suppose to spread it around yourself on CPU's with heatspreaders. You can find the instructions on their website.

What is so hard about putting a small drop of AS5 in the center of the heat spreader and simply putting the heatsink over it? You do not need, nor are you suppose to spread it around yourself on CPU's with heatspreaders. You can find the instructions on their website.

Well the instructions for my CPU type, at least, indicate: "spread arctic silver 5 over the cpu core as shown in the photo on the right.." It also says to use a razor blade or credit card to do so.

Edit : nevermind clicked the wrong one. I would still apply the AS5 to the entire heatspreader surface, as I would want the best contact between the HS and heatspreader as possible.

Well the instructions for my CPU type, at least, indicate: "spread arctic silver 5 over the cpu core as shown in the photo on the right.." It also says to use a razor blade or credit card to do so.

Edit : nevermind clicked the wrong one. I would still apply the AS5 to the entire heatspreader surface, as I would want the best contact between the HS and heatspreader as possible.

Actually it's really a myth. Either way you apply it to the processor gives you the same desired results. You can put a drop down and squash it down with the heatsink or you can spread it out as you suggested.

Also, it doesn't matter if you apply it to the heatsink or the CPU as long as you don't apply it to both.

The advantage of smearing the paste allows you to use the perfect amount of paste, a drop may not be enough paste or may be way too much paste... so spreading it out helps so you don't over compensate or under compensate.

Actually it's really a myth. Either way you apply it to the processor gives you the same desired results. You can put a drop down and squash it down with the heatsink or you can spread it out as you suggested.

Also, it doesn't matter if you apply it to the heatsink or the CPU as long as you don't apply it to both.

The advantage of smearing the paste allows you to use the perfect amount of paste, a drop may not be enough paste or may be way too much paste... so spreading it out helps so you don't over compensate or under compensate.

The purpose of AS5 is to fill in small inperfections in the surface of the HS and the CPU heat spreader, in order to have the best heat transfer possible. Since the entire heatspreader of the CPU is going to heat up (as that is what a heatspreader does), and not just directly above the CPU die, it would be most efficent to make sure the entire surface of the heatspreader has the best possible connection and thus thermal conductivity.

The documentation that came with my processor, as well as the processor thermal design guide (on the amd website) says to apply thermal grease to a 35mm x 35mm area, with a thickness of 0.09-0.08 mm in order to cover the processor lid.

just got a 4400+ yesterday, will try some overclocking when i get the system all set up and running smooth

just got a 4400+ yesterday, will try some overclocking when i get the system all set up and running smooth

Mine seems to be overclocking alright so far. Now I had to turn down the HTT to x4 and Memory speed to 333, because of my fisher price my first ram (corsair value ram).

The purpose of AS5 is to fill in small inperfections in the surface of the HS and the CPU heat spreader, in order to have the best heat transfer possible. Since the entire heatspreader of the CPU is going to heat up (as that is what a heatspreader does), and not just directly above the CPU die, it would be most efficent to make sure the entire surface of the heatspreader has the best possible connection and thus thermal conductivity.

I've tried it both ways and have had better results with AS5's recomended instructions... Spreading around the entire surface ends up being TOO much and you end up losing any metal to metal contact that you may have had, and no paste is going to conduct better than the actual surface of the heatsink and heatspreader making physical contact.

I've tried it both ways and have had better results with AS5's recomended instructions... Spreading around the entire surface ends up being TOO much and you end up losing any metal to metal contact that you may have had, and no paste is going to conduct better than the actual surface of the heatsink and heatspreader making physical contact.

I just need to pick up so isopropyl alcohol and some more AS5 and I can give it a try.

Give it a try, YMMV... Before I actuall read the instructions I was doing it the same way I had done it on my old Socket A processors, which was to spread it around the entire surface. What made me read the instructions wasn't because my temps were too high, but becuase I had a feeling I was putting on way too much, the thickness of AS5 makes it nearly impossible to spread it around evenly without using too much.

That ram isn't particularly good ram... It's latencies are pretty high which leads me to believe it won't really OC much, that really doens't matter though, overclocking your RAM shouldn't be your concern. You can easily overclock your CPU while maintaining your memory at DDR400

I had to turn the OC down to just above 2.5Ghz. I guess I could add some more power to the vcore to get her to go faster, but then I will probably run into heat issues. Oh well SupCom is now stable.

Also when I say I turned down my ram to 333 keep in mind because I am turning down the HTT multiplier and increasing the FSB, the ram is actually running at around 370-380. It would be nice if I could get the ram back up to 400, but doing so also increases clock speed and thus heat and power consumption. Its a vicious cycle :p

You can take your CPU multiplier down to 10.5 (or 10 if you need to) instead of 11, and then continue to up the reference clock until you get your ram back up to DDR400

Well I decided to pick up the OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Performance Series 2GB Dual Channel Kit, I will see if I can improve my OC after I test out Supcom.

Back