Overclocking 3930K on Sabertooth X79.

yorkman

Weaksauce
Can someone tell me or verify if their post screen shows 4600 MHz if yours is overclocked to 4.6 GHz?

I have mine overclocked to 4.60 GHz (x38 multiplier * 121 BCLK) and cpu-z shows 4600 MHz for core #0. So I think I'm running at 4.60 GHz...but I'm running some benchmarks in comparison to others and I'm considerably slower.

I don't remember exactly but when my sabertooth x79 boots it shows I think 4000 MHz at the post...why 4000 and 4600 in cpuz? I think cpuz is correct because 121*38 is 4600 MHz.

Pls help as I still have a few days to return/exchange anything if there's a problem.

I have an 860W PSU (tried another one too). Corsair H100 cooler, 650D Corsair case and an old EN9600GT PCI-E 2.0 video card. G.SKILL F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL ram (4x4 GB) CL-9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V.

Have you installed Asus AI Suite II?
Looking what it says the board settings are in "Turbo V Evo" might give you a better idea of what the settings are

I've booted with many overclocks and I always see 3200mhz at the AMI Post. I'm guessing you've turned off turbo?

I run at 4.7, I just changed the maximum turbo setting to X 47, and I scaled back how much voltage it would add with clock speed.

"I scaled back how much voltage it would add with clock speed."

Not sure what you mean there. The voltage needs to be set by you manually if you're going to overclock that high. I'm running at 4.8 GHz and my voltage is I believe set to 1.38 in the bios, but it actually runs at 1.41 because I have both vdroop settings set to Extreme.

"I scaled back how much voltage it would add with clock speed."

Not sure what you mean there. The voltage needs to be set by you manually if you're going to overclock that high.
Incorrect.

You can adjust how much the voltage increases with clockspeed, and leave speed step or whatever its called activated. This allows the CPU to slow down and cool down when idle. No need to run at full speed all the time if you don't want to. This is exactly how it works out of the box...all I did was adjust the maximum turbo speed (x47) and decreased how rapidly voltage scaled.

So you mean if I was to reset my BIOS to factory default (out of the box settings), set the clock multiplier to x47 and the voltages, which I think are on Auto by default, it will be enough to run 4.7 GHz stable? If I recall, I couldn't go very high without adjusting the cpu voltage manually, and I also had to enable the vdroop settings (they're called something else in the bios) to Extreme. There are two settings you can set to Extreme. The other I believe I set to High. So if my cpu voltage is set to use 1.38V and Extreme is enabled then it'll go to about 1.41V.

Btw, my system runs full load 24x7 so I don't need the cpu to slow and cool down. Besides, once in a while I'll stop all my processes and go to idle for maybe a minute or two (or reboot) and the temps will go down by about 20 degrees so it cools down then.

I'm trying to get my system to run overclocked but as efficient as possible for doing 24x7 mathematical computations at 100% load. It wasn't very efficient at 123 BCLK even though it was 4.7 GHz then too (x38 multiplier).

I think you're missing the suite or some updates for your mobo
sig.jpg

What does the Suite have to do with it? I'm talking about the adjustments necessary for a successful overclock to 4.7 GHz from the BIOS.

And I have the suite installed anyway, not that it matters.

Back