Overclocking 3500+

sco0oby

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
223
Hey, I wanted to know if I should invest into a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro and overclock my 3500+ or should I just wait and buy a new processor? I also have other things I would need to buy such as a video card.
 
why the arctic freezer 64 is it special or something???

either get a Big Typhoon, Schyte Ninja, XP 90/120 or the SI 120

and YES OC that CPU, but read the guides first.
 
well, the only thing i'm looking for with CPU cooling, is best bang for the buck. So can anyone narrow down those options for me?
 
Get the SI-120!
It's low profile is nice, the heat pipes do a great job and you don't need a high flow fan to get the job done.
 
I've been reading reviews where alot of these massive CPU coolers overlap the first DDR slot. If I get the SI-120, would a top-end 120mm Panaflo fan be fine?
 
Of course, 104 CFM of air flow is way more than you need!
Get the 84 CFM Panaflo, it's about 8 dBa quieter
 
Lol, hell, if I'm spending money to save my CPU for another 2 years with overclocking it, then I might as well get 104CFM :p I'm however, still debated about either to get the XP-90C with a 92mm Panaflo fan or the SI-120 with a 120mm Panaflo fan

P.S - Can get both for same price :p
 
If your mother board has a 3 pin fan connecter, YES!

But JESUS MAN, that overkill!

The only difference you will notice from the 84 CFM Panaflo to the Ultra 115 CFM is about 12 dBA. Cooling will be the exact same!
 
is overkill a bad thing with cooling :)

P.S. - Still can't decide on XP-90C or SI-120
 
does anyone know about the Zalman 9500 or 7000, and if I were to compare it to a SI-120 with a 120mm Panaflo 86cfm fan.
 
I've got the 7000cu, and it's decent... Getting a little long in the tooth now. The 9500 is nice, but damned expensive, imo. I took the heatspreader off my cpu, so I don't really trust the giant heatsinks to be stable and not crack the core.
 
well if I do overclock my 3500+ to let's say about... 2.4ghz, would it be equivalent to a 3800+?
 
actually, if I go opt for the XP-90, i'll go right to the allCopper version. But I've seen enough reviews where the SI-120/XP-120 is the best at dissipation.
 
If you only wan't to overclock to 2400mhz you're paying twice as much for overkill. My xp-90 gets my cpu to over 2600mhz and still runs cooler than the stock heatsink kept it at stock speed.
 
hmm, well, with my comp specs, do you think i'll able to get to 2600 stable? because I can get the XP-90C and SI-120 for both $45. And the XP-90 at $28. You don't think I should go for the overkill? :p
 
If you want overkill go for it. I thought I saw earlier in the thread that you want value overall. All I know is my xp-90 does the trick on a clawhammer processor which probably runs hotter than yours assuming it's a 90nm process cpu. Your cpu shouldn't need as much voltage as mine thereby reducing heat, unless of course yours is also a 130nm process chip like mine in which case the xp-90 is still good enough anyways. My cpu fan isn't loud either. It's a panaflo 48cfm 30dba. Overclocked with 1.55volts @2618mhz I get 55c on warm days.
 
well, if you say that the xp-90 would help me overclock it to like 2600 per se, then i'd get it, and a Panaflo 92x25mm Ultra High Speed 69CFM fan. That should give me low temps, right? Also, would my 3500+ @ your OC speed run the exact same as yours? I'm not a genius with the whole 90 and 130. Thanks a ton Bran.
 
No problem. But save your ears and your money by using the fan that comes with it. If your going to buy another fan anyway your defeating the purpose. I'm not sure if your cpu would be equal to mine at the same speed. If you bought yours recently it may have a bigger cache which supposedly helps.
 
oh, I'm sorry for wasting your time again, but one last question. Do you know how the Zalman 7700 (120mm) compares with the XP-90 w/ retail fan?
 
I'm not sure about that. I would look it up on google. I think the xp-90 is better for temps but the zalman is very quiet(I think).
 
Thanks a ton bro, but I think i'm just getting the OEM XP-90 and buying my own 92mm Panaflo fan.
 
I have my fan turned down for quiet and it doesn't seem to matter much. When I started out I wanted ultimate performance so I bought a stronger fan than I needed. After a while the noise gets really annoying, believe me.
 
so you recommend just getting the retail xp-90 and save a huge amnt of money?
 
Back
Top