• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Overclockin suddenly stop working

Joined
Apr 9, 2007
Messages
44
Hi there


I had a working overclocking for many months stable, tested with Orthos running for 8 hours.

The settings are:
E6400@ 3.2 (400*8) 1.4V CPU and 2.1 Memory running at (4-4-4-12)

Today, Windows XP won't boot However Windows vista Does boot, The only thing that has been changed is that I installed SP3 for XP; however I installed it a week ago and used it overcloked for over a week

Saving the overclock to "profiles" If I set the default (NO OVERCLOCK) XP will boot fine.

Do you have any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks!
 
i've had the same thing happen to me on my opteron 165. just back it off a touch.
 
my 4200 X2 used to do 3Ghz stable, never overheated or had any issues, now it wont do 215/11
 
But why the difference between Vista and XP.

WIndows XP starts to boot, and I get the first page where all the Hardware devices started to get detected (Windows XP logo with the loading bar), then the PC just freezes.

It would seem that when another device is being detected by the XP. it just freezes up the bar stops moving. However VISTA does work OK up to this moment.

Would I have to replace my CPU, my motherboard or both?

- Jorge.
 
not sure about the OS thing, might want to reinstall XP if Vista is nto having issues because IMO Vista is even more picky about hardware and driver conflicts than XP by a long shot, although Vista handles recovery from a failure multitudes better
 
Would increasing the CPU voltage help? I already tried from 1.4 to 1.412, but no luck, should I try a higher value?
 
I dunno..if your temps are hitting 66C, not sure adding more vcore is so smart. How are you getting 66C w/ a tuniq tower anyway? I ran my e6420 at 3.2 for a year w/ higher vcore (~close to 1.5v) and never had temps that high w/ the Tuniq Tower.
 
The average temp in the room is close to 26°C I believe that's the reason why the temps are high, plus my Cooling is not the best, I am using the Vortex VX.

"nobody_here" said something that I did not understand, what did he ment by " recovery from a failure multitudes "
 
It could be that the rising temperatures at this time of year are causing instability, although it's odd that Vista will still boot. Try backing off your overclock slightly, say, to 3GHz, and see if that will boot. If it works at a lower overclock then most probably the high temps are causing XP to crash on boot.
 
Yes, system is unstable, I used Orthos on Vista and running a stress test for CPU and Memory just failed under one minute

So I set the the system to 3G (375*8) and Reduce the memory speed to 5 5 5 15

That seem to have helped. I am running orthos now for about 30 minutes without error. I guess I would have to let it run more.

Would you think it is time to replace the motherboard, ram and CPU? Or just a single component?
 
The average temp in the room is close to 26°C I believe that's the reason why the temps are high, plus my Cooling is not the best, I am using the Vortex VX.

"nobody_here" said something that I did not understand, what did he ment by " recovery from a failure multitudes "

what i said was Vista recovers from failures at boot multitudes better than XP

for instance, on XP, if your video driver failed to load properly, it would either A. freeze the entire system or B. reboot the PC or C. boot with the generic display crap driver

with Vista it loads up windows anyways, recognizes the video driver did not load properly, goes ahead and loads the generic driver, then attempts to load the Nvidia/ATI driver again (which for me has always been a success), and then gives you a nice little message pop up that tells you your video driver just f-ed itself and has been restarted and everything is cool man:cool:

and whats with your temps, my old 89W Athlon 64 4200+ X2 CPU with a Scythe Ninja and good airflow doesn't even go over 50*c running orthos wide ass open, fully loaded, idles between 28 and 38*c across the two cores
 
Git a ressult that I was not expecting. As I noticed that my Q-FAN setting was set to optimal and not performance mode, I set it to performance mode. inrease the voltage to 1.435 and Windows XP started to boot and now I am runing orthos for another 30 minutes without error.

However the Temp that was moving between 62 and 65 now moves between 60 and 68... (YES, more unstable the temps However it spends more time on 62-63 than 67-68)

How bad is 68°C as MAX peak and running orthos with an average CPU of 64°C?

How much time would the CPU last before I blow it?
 
Core 2 CPUs are rated for a max temperature of between 85C and 105C depending on the batch or model. Running at 68C isn't bad for the CPU per se; however, higher temps introduce instability. Even if the CPU can handle running at a higher temperature without damaging itself, you could experience crashes and random errors occurring within Windows.

My suggestion is to try running it as-is for now, but if it becomes unstable back down from your overclock until you find a setting that's stable. You should also consider adding some more cooling into your PC, either by getting some more fans in the case or by replacing your heatsink with a better model.
 
Back
Top