Overclockers...look inside!!!

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Hey guys.....as some of you may know, the [H]orde is in the middle of a friendly little shootout with some of the other F@H teams around the net, and we sure could use the assistance of the [H]ardest overclockers on the planet. If perhaps a few of you would join the [H]orde, I know we can win this thing. It's all for a good cause and good fun, so how about giving it a shot?

If your not familiar with the Chimp Challenge and F@H, here is a little information.....

Chimp Challenge info here
Chimp Challenge stats here
F@H info here
F@H client download here

The high performance (SMP) clients are available there as well, just scroll down to the bottom of the page.

If any of you have questions or need help with anything, please drop down to the DC sub forum and ask.....we're eager to help!

When you do decide to join the effort, be sure to enter the username of [H]ardApe, and make sure you select team 33!!

Look forward to meeting some of you guys soon!!! Fold On!!!!

Come on guys, our forum's honor is at stake here! [H]ardApe needs you. After the last update, we are back on track to finish second.

Folks the competition is only going to last another 5 or 6 days so we aren't looking for much of a commitment. Digital is being polite in calling it a friendly competition. There is a lot of smack talk going on and the honor of the [H] is at stake here. You guys have tremendous firepower in this subforum and we could put the hurt back on the maximum pc team. The software you want to download is the Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta6.
http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding/Folding@Home Windows SMP Client.EXE
It will fully utilize your prime dual cores and quads to give the [H] maximum points for the competition.
[H]ard|OCP is team 33 and the username of [H]ardApe.

Bring on the heat!

Thank you silent circuit. Welcome to the party. If you have any questions stop by the DC section. We'll do everything we can to get you folding as [H] as your hardware will allow.

Signed on the girlfriend's Opty 146 @ 2.75 tonight, will sign the sig rig on tomorrow as well as my buddy's Windsor @ 2.9 which is over at my place. Is there still a GPU client for the X1900s out there?

Signed on the girlfriend's Opty 146 @ 2.75 tonight, will sign the sig rig on tomorrow as well as my buddy's Windsor @ 2.9 which is over at my place. Is there still a GPU client for the X1900s out there?

Thanks a lot for joining us... and unfortunately there is no longer a client for the X19XX cards..... really sucks too..... I bought two X1950pro's specifically for folding, and did so for as long as I could, and then......BAM.... out of nowhere... they pulled it...

But again, thank you for folding with us!!!

Forget Prime/Orthos, if your system can fold for 24 hours, "ain't nothin' gonna break it"!

:D

Joined with my sig rig.

Question, is the graphical or text based client better?

Ok just added my work comp.
2.8ghz p4
When i get home I'll add another 2.4ghz? idk maybe 2.5 i can't remember.

Forget Prime/Orthos, if your system can fold for 24 hours, "ain't nothin' gonna break it"!

:D

You may be right as the hottest temp doesnt always translate into the best stability test, but F@H does get 3C less max CPU temp than Orthos on my E8400.

ps does anyone know the best way to quit the SMP DOS window client?
Do I just close it, will it continue where it left off?

Added my MBP to the mix. Unfortunately I can't add my 3000ppd desktops into the mix cuz I'm moving :/

Welcome and Thanks to everyone who has signed on!! Time to show these other teams who is the [H]ardest. :D

You may be right as the hottest temp doesnt always translate into the best stability test, but F@H does get 3C less max CPU temp than Orthos on my E8400.

ps does anyone know the best way to quit the SMP DOS window client?
Do I just close it, will it continue where it left off?

Ctrl-C to stop the client, and yes, it does save its progress to pick up at next time. Usually. :D

I think I heard someone say in the other section that for vista users you must save outside of the program files (ex. c\F@H instead of c\program files\F@H)

I will try when I get home though.

I think I heard someone say in the other section that for vista users you must save outside of the program files (ex. c\F@H instead of c\program files\F@H)

I will try when I get home though.

That is correct. Install outside of Program Files, and turning off UAC before installing will make your life a lot simpler. And I haven't seen it said enough, if you're using 64-bit Windows, you need to use the 5.91 SMP client and not the 5.92 version.

I have my clients saved c\program\F@H, no issues and I use the 5.91 clients. However, they will not fold at all w/ UAC enabled.

I'm the same as "delvryboy" I haven't tried with UAC enabled well because it's stupid :D

Edit: also just got another work comp going.
3.6ghz p4

Yea, UAC is the biggest thorn in the side of F@H.

Ok, well I got one running on my laptop and my gaming rig.

Both say:

"Donator: [H]ardApe
Team Number: 33
"

And then it looks like it's working.

How will I know if it's sending in the data?

Is this alright to have up in the background when gaming and doing other "intense" stuff?

I am running Vista 64-bit. All I did was made 3 new folder in MY Document and name them Hardcore-1/Hardcore-2/Hardcore-3,then I copy the FAH504 Console download to each folder,then click on it in each folder. I am running the console version ,so when you click on each folder you have to say yes when you come to the part that ask you if you want to change the advanced option. then keep hittting the enter button till you get to the last option. then you have to change that to 1 for folder 1/ 2 for folder 2 /3 for folder 3

Ok, well I got one running on my laptop and my gaming rig.

Both say:

"Donator: [H]ardApe
Team Number: 33
"

And then it looks like it's working.

How will I know if it's sending in the data?

Is this alright to have up in the background when gaming and doing other "intense" stuff?

I wondered this for quite some time until my first Work Unit finished.
Once finished, it then connects, tries to send the data and reports if it succeeded or failed.
I imagine if it fails, it will keep retrying until it succeeds, hopefully someone can confirm.
It should work ok unless you are blocking some access with your firewall.

5.92?

All I see for versions is 5.03 and 5.04:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

I download 5.03 (graphical) and it just sits there and stays on step 2 (benchmarking).

The software you want to download (for a dual core or a quad) is the Folding@Home Client Version 5.91beta6.
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther
(Edit to update the above link. Even though the competition is over now you can still join the [H]orde and beat back the rest of the teams.)

It's very irritating the SMP client requires a password for your windows login, otherwise no go. :mad:

Use the console version 5.04 and the way I wrote about in reply #28 and you will not need a windows password. I have 3 console running now with no password needed

Use the console version 5.04 and the way I wrote about in reply #28 and you will not need a windows password. I have 3 console running now with no password needed

Hey cool.
If I install the console version, will it continue where it left off?

rig in the sig is online :D

Thank you!! Glad to have you folding with the Ape!!!

Hey cool.
If I install the console version, will it continue where it left off?

No, it won't. You'll loose whatever work you have thus far...

How do I use it?

Which client do you want to use? Head over to the DC subforum and ask away.... we're here to help.

And thanks again to all of you!!!

Quick question.

Are these good times for a quad?

[08:54:40] Completed 1500000 out of 5000000 steps (30 percent)
[09:04:24] Writing local files
[09:04:24] Completed 1550000 out of 5000000 steps (31 percent)
[09:14:08] Writing local files
[09:14:08] Completed 1600000 out of 5000000 steps (32 percent)
[09:23:53] Writing local files
[09:23:53] Completed 1650000 out of 5000000 steps (33 percent)
[09:33:36] Writing local files
[09:33:36] Completed 1700000 out of 5000000 steps (34 percent)
[09:43:20] Writing local files
[09:43:20] Completed 1750000 out of 5000000 steps (35 percent)
[09:53:05] Writing local files
[09:53:05] Completed 1800000 out of 5000000 steps (36 percent)
[10:03:10] Writing local files
[10:03:10] Completed 1850000 out of 5000000 steps (37 percent)
[10:13:52] Writing local files
[10:13:52] Completed 1900000 out of 5000000 steps (38 percent)
[10:24:08] Writing local files
[10:24:08] Completed 1950000 out of 5000000 steps (39 percent)
[10:34:16] Writing local files
[10:34:16] Completed 2000000 out of 5000000 steps (40 percent)

I installed, chose team 33, never asked for a donator tho, so just put in team 33. Im sure my system will be put to good use :)

@ Nightcast

I'm not sure they are.
Running an E8400 @ 4.13GHz I get almost exactly the same times, 10 mins 20 secs per percent approx.
But then again different work units might take different times to process so it may not be a good measure anyway.

Heres some of my times for comparison

[03:14:07] Writing local files
[03:14:07] Completed 355000 out of 500000 steps (71 percent)
[03:24:24] Writing local files
[03:24:24] Completed 360000 out of 500000 steps (72 percent)
[03:34:45] Writing local files
[03:34:46] Completed 365000 out of 500000 steps (73 percent)
[03:45:10] Writing local files
[03:45:10] Completed 370000 out of 500000 steps (74 percent)

Back