Overclocked TDP: 1700 vs 1700x

Arcygenical

Fully [H]
Hey all,

I need lots of power with low TDP. I don't care about power draw, but TDP, as the limiting factor in my system is cooling capacity (mitx) not my power bill. I KNOW the concepts are directly related, but I don't want to discuss power draw or anything, just cooling capacity.

Assumptions:

Let's assume both the 1700 and the 1700x are clocked at 3.8, using the same voltage [Remember, hypothetical]

Will they consume the same power and do they require the same TDP.

Does anyone know what the consumption will be.

Last question:

Is it generally accepted that, due to binning, the 1700x will run with an overclock, at a lower voltage than the 1700. AKA will I require fewer volts to achieve 3.8ghz on the x versus the non x model. Obvious silicon lottery aside, I am buying about 100 chips and will personally keep the best one.

Thank you kindly.

Hey all,

I need lots of power with low TDP. I don't care about power draw, but TDP, as the limiting factor in my system is cooling capacity (mitx) not my power bill. I KNOW the concepts are directly related, but I don't want to discuss power draw or anything, just cooling capacity.

Assumptions:

Let's assume both the 1700 and the 1700x are clocked at 3.8, using the same voltage [Remember, hypothetical]

Will they consume the same power and do they require the same TDP.

Does anyone know what the consumption will be.

Last question:

Is it generally accepted that, due to binning, the 1700x will run with an overclock, at a lower voltage than the 1700. AKA will I require fewer volts to achieve 3.8ghz on the x versus the non x model. Obvious silicon lottery aside, I am buying about 100 chips and will personally keep the best one.

Thank you kindly.
Nothing is guaranteed first. But generally the 1700X should fair better but doubtful it will account for any kind of huge savings. The TDP at that point will likely be 130W-ish maybe as high as 160W. Not many reviews showing particular clocks or voltage ranges. The 1800X sowed about 125W with its base of 3.6Ghz boost of 4.0Ghz.

If you look at the thread on the Threadripper review, the reviewers guide is linked in there. It had the formula you want to calculate TDP.

Back