Overclocked my E2180

legendz411

2[H]4U
I was worried after hearing about the newest batch being real bad overclockers but I got my E2180 to 3Ghz on the stock cooler Orthose stable for 20 hours. :D

Runs a little, (lot) hotter then I am comfortable with from AMD, but it is below 70c and it doesn't set off any warnings, so..

Ram is running at 375 from 400, on a 4/5 divider. The Gigabyte EP31 board is an incredable overclocker. There is at least 200mhz left on my chip that I can't harness for the chip being to hot, so I can only guess how much is left on the mobo.

Just wanted to type this up to let people know the chips aren't all duds :p

What voltage are you using for 3GHZ? I just had a guy ask me some info on these

Running 333x9 on the core with memory at 400 1:1. Faster FSB. Stable, so I know the heat is holding me back and the MOBO has got some left in it.

I'll get voltages when I get home for ya.

Intel's temps seem so much higher since Core2 and the temps being read from the internal diode with CoreTemp, etc.. Before everyone would be humming along thinking their chip is about 10-15C cooler and not worrying about these "hot" temps.

ie: its not a fair apples to apples comparison of an older chip's temps (read from socket probes usually) or even AMD's chip's reported temps.

Im not sure what your trying to say to me... Are yuo telling me that my CPU temp is just more accurate then they used to be in teh past?

Also, my voltages are as follows 1.3500 on the VCore
About 1.31 in Windows, (VDroop)

Nice OC. I have an e2180 at home that I'm going to be installing later this week. I hope I have the same luck as you!

Nice OC. I have an e2180 at home that I'm going to be installing later this week. I hope I have the same luck as you!

Most of these chips can do 3 GHz as long as your memory and motherboard are up to it. The processor isn't usually what holds you back at this level.

Really? That's better than I had heard. How high do these generally go before the chip starts to become the limiting factor?

That is, let's assume good air cooling, and a mobo & ram that isn't holding you back.

Many people that buy budget processors put them into budget motherboards and then use cheap memory and hit a wall and blame it on the CPU. If you hit a wall before 3 GHz and you think that you have a lame processor then send it to me and I'll exchange it for my E2160.

Makes sense...I got mine with a P5Q-e and good ram, so I'm hoping for good results. I'm also kinda worried about heat, like the OP, as my comp is in a pretty hot room in the summer. We'll see how it goes.

Im not sure what your trying to say to me... Are yuo telling me that my CPU temp is just more accurate then they used to be in teh past?

Also, my voltages are as follows 1.3500 on the VCore
About 1.31 in Windows, (VDroop)

1. they're more accurate
2. people were at 70C and higher all the time in the past and thought they were only at 50-60C

SO my point is don't sweat it too much being at 70C.
Crappy OEM stock machines run that hot underload all the time. Though I would get better cooling if you want to OC higher.

Many people that buy budget processors put them into budget motherboards and then use cheap memory and hit a wall and blame it on the CPU. If you hit a wall before 3 GHz and you think that you have a lame processor then send it to me and I'll exchange it for my E2160.

There is definitly more room on my Mobo and Ram. I'm sure of it. Heat is holding me back.

1. they're more accurate
2. people were at 70C and higher all the time in the past and thought they were only at 50-60C

SO my point is don't sweat it too much being at 70C.
Crappy OEM stock machines run that hot underload all the time. Though I would get better cooling if you want to OC higher.

Well, Realtemp reports the same temp as Coretemp, so it's all good. I wasn't really complaining about the temps as much as I was letting people know. Like I said, I wasn't throwing errors and it all works.

I want to get higher. I'm feeling about 3.2 on this chip, but I'm not terribly worried about it. Frankly, 3ghz on a $70 chip is mad awesome. It won't bottleneck anything I do for a long time to come.

Finally got my e2180 installed and working. Yesterday was test day, at stock, to make sure the new build was working and stable. Today began the OC :)

I've been slowly increasing it over the course of the day (had the day off from work;)) and I'm now at 300x9=2.7Ghz at vcore 1.325 bios, 1.288 at idle according to cpuz. So far, it's stable for 1 hour in prime95. Problem is, the load temp according to speedfan is 64-66C. That's probably not 100% accurate, but I doubt it's less than that.:(

I'm going to let it rest and see if I can safely push things higher tomorrow or over the weekend. I've got a Scythe Ninja(B) on those stupid push pins, so I may just need to install a real mounting kit to get things cooler. We'll see how it goes. I'll post back. So far, this looks to be $60 well spent.

I have had my e2180 for a good while now (since Nov). I have had it at 3.2 Ghz since a couple hours after install. Running 320x10, my memory is just running at stock speeds as there appears to be little to no gain by pushing the memory up unless you just run Sandra all day long. Voltage in Windows is 1.416V, I believe I have it set to 1.445 in the BIOS. My temp hits 60-61C at full load. Most recent upgrade was a HD 4850 and the system is running great.

Yeah these chips are great, got mine running with the stock heatsink to 3.1ghz. On the default voltage I can get it to 3ghz.

I will post my results once I get a new hsf.

Back