Overclock with stock cpu fan?

Special-K

Weaksauce
Hello, Is it okay to overclock a i5 2500k to maybe 4.0ghz or 4.4ghz without any other cpu fan than the stock one. The mobo i will be using is an Asus rog gene-z and my case has a top fan and a back fan(Antec mini P180).

I don't recommend overclocking with stock cooler, but you could try, 3.8 first and check temperatures (try not to go over 70º @full load), and if all is ok try 4.0.

The stock fan can keep your CPU safe @4.0-4.2GHz,i wouldn't recommend to run at higher clock with it though.

If cheap means sub-$40 range then you can take a look at the Thermalright HR-02 Macho or Hyper 212 Plus.Other choice would be the Cocage TRUE Spirit,same price with the 212 but completely owns it.

I would not recommend OC'ing on the stock cooler...the investment in a good aftermarket air cooler (or even a Hydro) is well worth it since it can last through upgrades (with the right mounting kit), lets you achieve higher clocks, and lets you keep the system at lower temps, thereby improving component lifespans.

Damn, no it wouldn't. I don't think it comes with one either, so you would have to get a separate bolt through kit for 1156 socket.

My bad, I overlooked the part where you stated that your cpu is a 2500k.

:) yeah and my budget for this is like 100$ shipped and taxes (Canada) I'm still looking. Do you think my top and back fan case are good or they would never replace a HSF? I'm new to OC'ing :)

You definitely want a decent HSF for OC'ing. Case fans only remove warm air within the case...

Are you using a small form factor case? If so many of the recommended coolers probably will not fit inside the case without some modding. I had to mod my Thermaltake Lanbox case to get the TRUE 120 to fit inside. It was worth it though. Allowed me to run my i7 920 at 4.2 ghz in that cramped space.

well its as large as a normal case, its just smaller in height, my first gen asus GTX570 fits perfectly

I would have to agree with those that say not to try it and to use an HSF.

Back